2019 Renault F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: 2019 Renault F1 Team

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
03 May 2019, 19:30
I think based on the 4 races they will be disappointed. The chassis can’t make the best of the tyres. But prev race they quali’d well... albeit still way off the Bulls’

I don’t approve of a “1 person’s at fault” methodology. Even if you are the team principal.

He doesn’t seem to express any tension or stress- so maybe the Renault hierarchy still support him. They must this year start to take some points off Redbull.

Somehow both Haas and Renault have failed to get the tyres working. I think Spain will favour both teams a bit more.
Puts in mind the old Kipling (miss) saying of..

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you,

Either You are the problem, or you do not understand the problem.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Capharol
Capharol

JordanMugen wrote:
03 May 2019, 19:14
Capharol wrote:
03 May 2019, 17:31
if you would have qouted my full comment, you would have seen that i gave the answer myself ....
it were kind of rethorical questions ....
Hmm... I don't see how the team principal can be the problem, when he is not the designer of the car? :wink:
ok we misunderstood eachother :wink:

but normally the teamprincipal is the first that will be held responsible and not the TD

djos

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
I think based on the 4 races they will be disappointed. The chassis can’t make the best of the tyres. But prev race they quali’d well... albeit still way off the Bulls’

I don’t approve of a “1 person’s at fault” methodology. Even if you are the team principal.

He doesn’t seem to express any tension or stress- so maybe the Renault hierarchy still support him. They must this year start to take some points off Redbull.

Somehow both Haas and Renault have failed to get the tyres working. I think Spain will favour both teams a bit more.
I totally agree, I think he's a bit of a nob but his job is to get funding and resources for the team, not design the car. He made the right call poaching Daniel and keeping hulk, now Renault has a top driver line up who can help drive the car development forward.
"In downforce we trust"

Mclarensenna

djos wrote:
04 May 2019, 01:06
PowerandtheGlory wrote:

I totally agree, I think he's a bit of a nob but his job is to get funding and resources for the team, not design the car. He made the right call poaching Daniel and keeping hulk, now Renault has a top driver line up who can help drive the car development forward.
I agree. All the top teams have sold the rear wing space to advertisers. It is worth up to 50+ million. Yet Renault still has not sold this valuable advertising spot. He needs to raise funds to spend more on the car to make it faster. He has completely failed so far to do this.

JordanMugen

Mclarensenna wrote:
04 May 2019, 01:26
I agree. All the top teams have sold the rear wing space to advertisers. It is worth up to 50+ million. Yet Renault still has not sold this valuable advertising spot. He needs to raise funds to spend more on the car to make it faster. He has completely failed so far to do this.
The rear wing reinforces Renault branding (replaced with Infiniti at North American races), which is IMO very important!

In fact, I think it is odd Mercedes leave the rear side of their rear wing blank instead of writing "AMG" or "AMG Hybrid" or so on there?

Mclarensenna

JordanMugen wrote:
05 May 2019, 19:14
Mclarensenna wrote:
The rear wing reinforces Renault branding (replaced with Infiniti at North American races), which is IMO very important!

In fact, I think it is odd Mercedes leave the rear side of their rear wing blank instead of writing "AMG" or "AMG Hybrid" or so on there?
Mclaren does not say Mclaren on the rear wing
Ferrari does not Ferrari on the rear wing
Redbull does not say redbull on the rear wing
Mercedes does not say Mercedes on the rear wing

The reason being is you can sell it for 50 million or so, which in turn you spend on the car, which in turn helps you go further up the grid, and get bigger sponsors, bigger prize money, more tv time and more exposure.
Mercedes calculated they got 2 billion in free advertising in 2014 for their car division and yet no Mercedes on the rear wing. The Mercedes business model works.
Renault model does not. Facts are facts.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Mclarensenna wrote:
06 May 2019, 02:55
JordanMugen wrote:
Mclarensenna wrote:

The reason being is you can sell it for 50 million or so, which in turn you spend on the car, which in turn helps you go further up the grid, and get bigger sponsors, bigger prize money, more tv time and more exposure.
Mercedes calculated they got 2 billion in free advertising in 2014 for their car division and yet no Mercedes on the rear wing. The Mercedes business model works.
Nobody is going to pay 50M+ for "just" the rear wing. That amount is title sponsor level, which will include prominent placement on other areas of the car. You'd get rear wing, sidepods, nose, basically enough places so the brand can be viewed from practically every angle of the car. Also good placement on drivers overalls, front center. Petronas is reported to pay Mercedes £50M, and they're title sponsors. Santander were all over the Ferrari car and were reportedly paying €40M. Nobody is going to pay Renault or anybody 50M+ for just the rear wing.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

M840TR
M840TR

Ground Effect wrote:
06 May 2019, 10:06
Mclarensenna wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:

Nobody is going to pay 50M+ for "just" the rear wing. That amount is title sponsor level, which will include prominent placement on other areas of the car. You'd get rear wing, sidepods, nose, basically enough places so the brand can be viewed from practically every angle of the car. Also good placement on drivers overalls, front center. Petronas is reported to pay Mercedes £50M, and they're title sponsors. Santander were all over the Ferrari car and were reportedly paying €40M. Nobody is going to pay Renault or anybody 50M+ for just the rear wing.
To be fair, no one's going to pay £50m to Renault for anything. They're a struggling midfield team despite being a factory one and don't generate as much publicity among fans as they used to during Alonso's era even though Ricciardo's joining has helped. The only option they have is getting lots of small scale sponsors like Mclaren.

GoranF1
GoranF1

How much contract has Hulk left?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

GoranF1 wrote:
06 May 2019, 12:15
Why, looking for a seat for Fernando? :D
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

JordanMugen

Mclarensenna wrote:
Hmm...

If you cannot sell it, then IMO it is a very good branding place...

Personally I do not think the current Renault F1 livery or team uniforms are as striking as they could be... It think it should have a more stylish design, and a more prominent tricolore motif.

diffuser

JordanMugen wrote:
06 May 2019, 14:01
Mclarensenna wrote:
Hmm...

https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... -mcl32.jpg
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/amp ... ing-rb.jpg
https://theliveryblog.files.wordpress.c ... onda-2.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... actice.jpg

Personally I do not think the current Renault F1 livery or team uniforms are as striking as they could be... It think it should have a more stylish design, and a more prominent tricolore motif.

They either can't find someone willing to pay what it's worth to Renault/Infiniti to take their names off the rear wing or their making a choice for other reasons(like legal/whatever). In either case it's their Car their Money, they can do what they want. I'm sure they've weighed the implications.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Ground Effect wrote:
06 May 2019, 12:34
GoranF1 wrote:
06 May 2019, 12:15
Why, looking for a seat for Fernando? :D
Yes, i see Renault as better chance of title car for Alonso then Mclaren ATM, despite the start of 2019 suggesting otherwise.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Mclarensenna

diffuser wrote:
06 May 2019, 15:10
JordanMugen wrote:
06 May 2019, 14:01
Mclarensenna wrote:
Hmm...

https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... -mcl32.jpg
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/amp ... ing-rb.jpg
https://theliveryblog.files.wordpress.c ... onda-2.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... actice.jpg

They either can't find someone willing to pay what it's worth to Renault/Infiniti to take their names off the rear wing or their making a choice for other reasons(like legal/whatever). In either case it's their Car their Money, they can do what they want. I'm sure they've weighed the implications.
LOL i was talking about the 2019 season. Budgets have changed.
Top teams cannot raise the funds necessary to compete at the front, without selling the rear wing space.
Why are you sending pictures from previous seasons though?
Have you not seen the 2019 cars or watched any of the 2019 races?

Mclarensenna

M840TR wrote:
06 May 2019, 10:37
Ground Effect wrote:
06 May 2019, 10:06
Mclarensenna wrote:

To be fair, no one's going to pay £50m to Renault for anything. They're a struggling midfield team despite being a factory one and don't generate as much publicity among fans as they used to during Alonso's era even though Ricciardo's joining has helped. The only option they have is getting lots of small scale sponsors like Mclaren.
You took my quote of 50 million or so meaning more or less
Then quoted 50 million pounds for the rear wing.
So not sure why you quote me then change the price so much.
They can sell the rear wing to a title sponsor like Mercedes have done.
No they will not get 50 million pounds as they are not a front runner.
But it will be significant which in turn they could spend on the car making it faster pushing it towards the front.

Ross Brawn orchestrated Mercedes dominance we see now.
His plan?
Go look at the 2010 mercedes below

Petronas is the main sponsor everywhere. Rear wing and massive side spot. Then Autonomy, Mig bank, aabar, ppost brief
Mercedes is in such small letters. It is not even the first or even second sponsor but seems around the 4th most important.
Brawn sold as many advertising spots as he can to collect millions to spend on the car and make it fastest which he ended up doing after a few years and turned the team around.
Ross Brawn was a genius and now we see how this strategy paid off with the greatest run in F1 history
This model is proven to work. There is no denying it.

Hence why all the top teams in 2019 are implementing it and Mclaren, Redbull, Ferrari and Mercedes all have sold off the valuable rear wing to sponsors for millions.

All top teams so far except Renault in 2019.
And the results are proving Renaults business model does not work whereas Mercedes formula works. 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and now 2019
Facts are facts