2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
etusch

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Max Verstappen: "We were positively surprised that we were so competitive in qualifying and the second row of the grid is not bad. Everything was going quite smoothly, but in Q3 we were running a different strategy as I only had one set of tyres so I was on my own. Around this track it is very painful to be on your own and you of course lose lap time to others who have a tow. Even compared to my own lap in Q2 I was losing around two and a half tenths on the main straight. You can also gain a tenth or two on the other straights having a car six or seven seconds ahead as you get sucked in and these cars have so much drag. I pushed everything I could out of my final lap and it was pretty good. I think we could have fought for pole if we were in that train of cars, but at least we know the car is working well. It's always a crazy one here and for sure the race won't be won at Turn 1. It's all pretty close and from fourth we can still fight for the race."

Pierre Gasly: "It was nice to end Q1 in P1 but knowing we're starting from the pit lane tomorrow, the most important thing was just to get a feel of the car on low fuel. It felt really good and it's probably the first time this year I've felt that good in the car, so I'm really happy. I felt confident and I'm always working and trying to adapt myself, and it's working step by step. I think we're going in the right direction and overall it was a positive qualifying session. We didn't expect that kind of pace because we didn't turn the power unit up, we went into race mode to save some engine mileage and in the end the performance was good. I think we have a good car here and I was hoping Max would get a good result in Q3. This race track is just insane with all the things that can happen so I will race flat out until the last lap. We have a car good enough to recover and score good points tomorrow, so I will push for it."

Christian Horner, Team Principal: "It was an interesting qualifying today after several red flags and Pierre did a very good job to go fastest in Q1. Max unfortunately flat spotted a tyre so needed to run again in Q1, which reduced the number of tyres available to him later in qualifying, but nonetheless we finished Q1 first and fourth. In Q2, we elected not to run Pierre as he will start tomorrow's race from the pit lane due to his weighbridge penalty, but Max was able to go quickest during the session. After the delay following Leclerc's incident, Q3 finally got underway and with one set of tyres available, the best approach was quick-slow-quick which put Max out of sync with the drivers that had two sets remaining. Whilst he had the benefit of having a clear lap, he unfortunately didn't have a tow as it would have been impossible to synchronise the different run strategies from the other teams. Overall, it was a strong qualifying with Max starting on the second row and Pierre's time in Q1 would have put him sixth on the grid. A really encouraging display from Pierre and we now look forward to tomorrow's race."
from pitpass.com

Hino
Hino

Big Tea wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 21:21
Capharol wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 20:58
https://i.imgur.com/6v4TeqK.png

not really hurting him, as he already starting from the pitlane anyway
But if this session is canceled due to DSQ, is he then allowed to start? (If it applies to all runs)
https://twitter.com/ChrisMedlandF1/stat ... 7692265473

Big Tea

Hino wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 21:36
Big Tea wrote:
Capharol wrote:

But if this session is canceled due to DSQ, is he then allowed to start? (If it applies to all runs)
https://twitter.com/ChrisMedlandF1/stat ... 7692265473
Should not be any problem though???
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ME4ME

Bill wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 21:06
He was quicker than Max on the twisty bits nothing to do with extra 'fuel "
Gasly on his fastest Q1 run did:
S1: 35.565
S2: 40.866
S3 24.909

Verstappen did:
S1: 35.791
S2: 40.726
S3: 25.210

So Verstappen was quicker in the actual twisty bits. Gasly was quicker in S1 however that includes the straight from turn2 to turn3. We do not know the nature of the fuel flow rate over-useage, if it was momentary or for an extended period while at full throttle. It might've affected his S1.

I want to see Gasly do well. The teams needs him to bring home the points and to keep Verstappen on his toes.
I'm not saying he did not do a good job, because he did. His S1 was great regardless of a slight power boost, so that is promising. Just saying we are yet to see how much progress he's been making in comparable conditions and when it actually matters.

Capharol
Capharol

Big Tea wrote:
Capharol wrote:

yes he is but he has to start from the pitlane what he had to do anyway

Hino
Hino

A little trick teams use to get more performance out the fuel flow sensor.

epo
epo

Gasly ran a different rear wing then max with less downforce which might been quicker for a single lap.

Capharol
Capharol

epo wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 00:01
Gasly ran a different rear wing then max with less downforce which might been quicker for a single lap.
well then its good that he didn't use it because a race goes longer as 1 lap :wink:

GhostF1
GhostF1

Seems too coincidental. They get reprimanded after already being handed the pitlane start penalty...

I feel like there may have been some discussion about trying something knowing they are already getting penalised so there is no further repercussions. If it works, it works, if it doesn't, we get slapped but no negatives.

Sayeman

Why does Verstappen look so slow on the straight? Car is barely hitting 325km/h with wide open DRS.
Never Give up.

Capharol
Capharol

Sayeman wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 06:07
Why does Verstappen look so slow on the straight? Car is barely hitting 325km/h with wide open DRS.
that speed is normal without a tow..... and he hit 328 after DRS opens :wink:

carisi2k

that fuel flow regulation should be thrown out the window. The sensors have proven to be unreliable and if your restricting the amount of fuel the cars can use then why bother with such a system. It's not like the cars aren't already producing an amazing amount of power for the fuel they use.

Marti_EF3

Speed trap, look how the Mercedes have more or less the same speed than the RBR, but they are fastest :roll:

Singabule
Singabule

carisi2k wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 10:44
that fuel flow regulation should be thrown out the window. The sensors have proven to be unreliable and if your restricting the amount of fuel the cars can use then why bother with such a system. It's not like the cars aren't already producing an amazing amount of power for the fuel they use.
Do you want to see 1600 hp car on qualy setting? Hell no.

MtthsMlw

Gasly recorded a top speed of around 340km/h in the tow during Q1, and Red Bull has now explained that this led to an unexpected minor increase in fuel flow – which took the Frenchman's RB15 over the limit.

The Austrian outfit says the fuel-flow increase didn't have a significant impact on Gasly's laptime.

A change, which is understood to be electronics-related, has been introduced to Gasly's Red Bull to ensure there is no repeat offence in the race.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hond ... u/4377559/