2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
etusch

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Verstappen: No corner where Red Bull was beating Mercedes
We’re not really better in any corner than Mercedes,” he said. “It’s good, it’s not that it’s a bad car! But at the moment the Mercedes is just quicker than us everywhere.

“Medium-speed, high-speed is pretty similar but that depends a lot on the downforce levels you’re running every single weekend so it’s a bit difficult to say
On this track, they were very strong in the low-speed corners. And that is normally pretty good for Monaco [the next race] as well.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vers ... s/4387273/

loner

GhostF1 wrote:
13 May 2019, 06:33

There's a lot of buzz around that Merc have a very slight, legal way of allowing some sort of rear wheel steering. The actual effect is small but apparently with accurate setup changes it can be effective, possibly how they are managing incredible times in the tight stuff?
If this is true, RBR's chassis may well be fantastic but without that sort of tech/setup Merc may have, it won't be their strength anymore.
they are winning 1-2 in every race there is something fishy for sure...
para bellum.

dren

ispano6 wrote:
12 May 2019, 23:04
Next target: Win from pole to finish in Monaco.
Based on the Merc's low speed corner dominance, I don't expect a Red Bull victory in Monaco. A podium is likely.

I'm guessing the Merc is making more down force than the field with the new regulations.
Honda!

HPD

Maybe Mercedes has some smart trick. But that does not make them cheaters.
Hamilton basically admits that defeating the W10 will be impossible for other teams. Congratulations to the great work of Mercedes.

Monaco should put us easily in front of Ferrari. Victory will not be possible.
Our fight is with Ferrari.

etusch

I lost some of my excitement about Monaco. But still have some about what Redbull and Toro Rosso will do there. Can Toro Rosso be 3d team there?

Wouter

etusch wrote:
13 May 2019, 16:22
I lost some of my excitement about Monaco. But still have some about what Redbull and Toro Rosso will do there. Can Toro Rosso be 3d team there?

I don't think so. Ferrari was in sector 3 (slow corners) about 0.4 sec faster each lap, BUT
STR was there about 0.1 -- 0.2 sec faster each lap then Haas. It also depends of Qualifying.
If they start behind Haas, they will stuck there and can't drive faster in the corners during the race.

#-o This belongs in the STR topic, sorry.
The Power of Dreams!

godlameroso

Unless they have predictable deflection on the rear suspension rose joints, I don't see how they could have any abnormal rear wheel steering.
Saishū kōnā

ispano6

Mercedes does suffer from more rear graining than others, meaning their rear downforce levels are higher and or suspension geometry in corners results in a greater contact patch. It may be a form of passive active suspension induced by downforce or lack there of.

Im not as defeatist as some of you here though :) RB15 probably still has the shortest wheelbase ideal for Monaco and Mercedes has the longest. Monaco will most likely have a safety car, though, so the pit strategies will need to be thought out. Maybe at best we split the Mercedes, but Monaco will be a battle of teamwork and Gasly could play a key part in pit execution. Not saying make him a Giovinatti train, but an effective roadblock. And since pole is King here, a small helpful tow down the main straight may provide the difference. It's a risky gamble nonetheless. We shall see.

Edax
Edax

godlameroso wrote:
13 May 2019, 17:13
Unless they have predictable deflection on the rear suspension rose joints, I don't see how they could have any abnormal rear wheel steering.
I guess it would be pretty easy to have the wheels steer by suspension roll, like a skateboard. The problem is that without a smart linked rear suspension, you would always get a variable toe when the car heaves or squats.

If you look at how mercedes build in fluid logic in their hydraulic system in 2017, it does not seem beyond the realm of possibilities to me, to get some marginal steering action.

godlameroso

Edax wrote:
13 May 2019, 20:33
godlameroso wrote:
I guess it would be pretty easy to have the wheels steer by suspension roll, like a skateboard. The problem is that without a smart linked rear suspension, you would always get a variable toe when the car heaves or squats.

If you look at how mercedes build in fluid logic in their hydraulic system in 2017, it does not seem beyond the realm of possibilities to me, to get some marginal steering action.
Maybe they just run a lot of scrub and see that the tire can take it, pro's more low speed grip, cons' mid speed cornering becomes more difficult, but can be compensated for with aero, and driving.
Saishū kōnā

McMika98
McMika98

https://youtu.be/ysbPxjFaMug

Merc must have something up their sleeves with the rear. Setup for high speed but at the same time maxing out on low speed. There are suggestiona that Redbull messed up the rear and had a to change suspension points in China. So they are still yet to fully optimise

Edax
Edax

godlameroso wrote:
13 May 2019, 20:40
Edax wrote:
13 May 2019, 20:33
godlameroso wrote:

Maybe they just run a lot of scrub and see that the tire can take it, pro's more low speed grip, cons' mid speed cornering becomes more difficult, but can be compensated for with aero, and driving.
I just remembered something. Last race in Barcelona when Coultard was doing the post race interviews he caught Max inspecting Lewis car. Asked about it Max answered that he was looking for things that were different from his car.

I looked it back and in the shot you can see what he was looking at. He was bent over the rear wheel and it looked very much like he was checking the rear suspension.

So there definitively seems to be something going on there. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a RB request for “rule clarification”.

dren

It's not uncommon for drivers to 'inspect' the faster cars after a race.
Honda!

GhostF1
GhostF1

dren wrote:
13 May 2019, 23:04
It's not uncommon for drivers to 'inspect' the faster cars after a race.
No it isn't uncommon, but where they are looking is certainly interesting. Hamilton used to always look at Vettel's steering wheel/cockpit when Ferrari won, he wouldn't even be subtle about it. Max very specifically is looking at the rear suspension on the Merc. RBR clearly know they're up to something, they have the longest car but have the advantage in every corner.

Marti_EF3

I'm on track right now! I'll keep you updated! Maybe later I'll do a direct on Instagram 8)