2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jambier

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Doing this, all drivers will have 2 Spec 4 engine for the rest of the season.
One brand new for Suzuka (and other races) and the other one.

But it is true that at some point, RB need to be another thing than the team "who win races by opportunity / some good race" and use many engine a year.

Becoming a true title challenger with 3 engine a year will not be that easy I think.

Lets see if 2020 can be a 3 engine season, and then 2021 title contender

HPD

auv wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 13:06
nzjrs wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 12:56
auv wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 12:49
When a few days ago I was raising questions about Honda reliability and related development schedule, I was downvoted and called a "troll".
Now all clients have at least +5 on the grid even without new TC spec... What is wrong with Honda S4 ? I would definitely not deem current situation as accetable.
Because your point only made sense if the changes or failures are for reliability reasons. Simple really
Great. Last time spec4 ICEs were installed in Spa and Monza, irc. If they are doing this again what reason do you think it is?
Sir. As you said, the new engine debuted at Monza / Spa.
Now, from Spa to Yas Marina, we have 9 GP. So there is no PU that can withstand 9 races, this is very logical.
Obviously 1 more engine is needed to finish the season. I hope to clarify your doubt, it really is VERY VERY simple, you just had to think a little.

dxpetrov
dxpetrov

HPD wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 13:36
auv wrote:
nzjrs wrote:

Because your point only made sense if the changes or failures are for reliability reasons. Simple really
Great. Last time spec4 ICEs were installed in Spa and Monza, irc. If they are doing this again what reason do you think it is?
Now, from Spa to Yas Marina, we have 9 GP. So there is no PU that can withstand 9 races, this is very logical.
Obviously 1 more engine is needed to finish the season. I hope to clarify your doubt, it really is VERY VERY simple, you just had to think a little.
No, not really. When your spec 3 was only done 4-5 races, you would expect that one to be still useful for another 1-2 GPs and do the rest with the spec 4.

auv
auv

HPD wrote:
auv wrote:
nzjrs wrote:

1. 8 GP for Verstappen.
2. "So there is no PU that can withstand 9 races, this is very logical." Are you reffering to Honda PU or ?
3. Believe me, I have 0 doubts about Honda.
4. "...it really is VERY VERY simple, you just had to think a little." As well as you, sir.

HPD

dxpetrov
dxpetrov

Exactly my point. No reason for another engine if one is to last 7 gps.

rogazilla
rogazilla

One thing to stack a second spec 4 for all drivers is to go ahead and run the PU at 10/10 and validate the performance and reliability. I see this as preparation for 2020. Used spec 4 can be run here in Sochi based on the setting and data collected from Spa and Monza. That may allow them to turn it up even higher at Suzuka and go all out. Then maybe Mexico to go back to the used spec 4 and run the new one at the remaining 3 races.

They can run the spec 4 as if they only need them to last 4 races and take it apart to see how things wear and what's the power potential. I see this as a good way to develop for 2020.

nzjrs

dxpetrov wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 14:18
HPD wrote:
auv wrote:

No, not really. When your spec 3 was only done 4-5 races, you would expect that one to be still useful for another 1-2 GPs and do the rest with the spec 4.
That of course depends on what you are looking to learn from the remaining races of the season.

Nickel
Nickel

Don't the rules stipulate that once you go over 3 pu in the season, you may only have one extra in the pool? I took the rules for this year to mean that if you take a fifth pu, you give back the 4th. Perhaps that's only in individual races to prevent what we used to see where teams would take 2 of everything once they were at the back of the grid...

restless
restless

Because they never planned to use last engine for 8 or 9 weekends?
Starting with Spa its 9 tracks - if you push you can't run it for 9 tracks. So they wanted maximum performance @Suzuka, which was known.

maguetox
maguetox

Since the begin of the season they were planning to use 5 PU this year, Helmuth Marko mentioned in one of the interview at the begining of the year., so Honda is sticking to original plan.

Big Tea

restless wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 16:13
Because they never planned to use last engine for 8 or 9 weekends?
Starting with Spa its 9 tracks - if you push you can't run it for 9 tracks. So they wanted maximum performance @Suzuka, which was known.
Marko was quoted as saying the following:

“Everything Honda has promised to us has been fulfilled, but our previous updates did not bring as much benefit as those at Mercedes and Ferrari.

“In the future, we would like to see a little more risk and hope for a power increase.

“We would rather start from the back with a stronger engine because if Max starts at the back, a thrilling Grand Prix is guaranteed.”

https://www.essentiallysports.com/red-b ... -of-power/

I do not know the providence of the publication, I was looking for something else, but it is there a 'quote'
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

McMika98
McMika98

Surely they could have split the strategy with Max taking the penalty and Albon going all guns blazing on a track he knows well. Honda logic and engineering levels are stuff of dreams. Albon does not know the Japanese track and will most likely struggle to compete with Vettel and Bottas instaed of challenging Hamilton and Leclrec. Also Hamilton cant perform in this track, the team are massively shooting themselves in the foot with this decision.

Datco
Datco

Is this a upgraded ICE or still a spec 4?

Wouter

McMika98 wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 18:48
Surely they could have split the strategy with Max taking the penalty and Albon going all guns blazing on a track he knows well. Honda logic and engineering levels are stuff of dreams. Albon does not know the Japanese track and will most likely struggle to compete with Vettel and Bottas instaed of challenging Hamilton and Leclrec. Also Hamilton cant perform in this track, the team are massively shooting themselves in the foot with this decision.
If I were you, which I am fortunately not, I would apply very quickly to Honda and / or RBR, because you always know everything better than those involved; highly educated people.
The Power of Dreams!