2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Bill
Bill

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

I think you have to wait until we get to a tilke track like Bahrain, merc out qualified Ferrari by .7 tenth last year but Ferrari toke pole in bar,china and baku

etusch

I think Redbull did good job.
Now we need to see race pace. They achieved to beat one of Ferraris. Until they fully optimize the car it is important to beat one of merc and one of Ferrari together. But at least 4th at qualifying and race for fighting title.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Fulcrum wrote:Aside from the gaffe the team made with Gasly, I think Red Bull shouldn't be too discouraged. Mixing it with the Ferrari drivers in the first race with the new engine is an accomplishment in itself.

Granted, they are significantly behind Mercedes, but I think that reality reflects more negatively on Ferrari than Red Bull.
Well, they were closer to Mercedes last year (0.7 seconds instead of 0.9 seconds)... And closer to Ferrari too, since they were both in the same tenth and now they are 0.2 seconds from them... If anything, they are going backwards and the gap year on year has increased by 0.2 seconds to both teams (and that’s with the super duper China upgrade)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bill
Bill

I think you should take into account that they have a new pu supplier and new aero rules they still a lot to learn

etusch

I think they will be better race by race.
From @Juzh from australia race topic.

Last edited by etusch on 16 Mar 2019, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.

Stef
Stef

Bast Honda quali since China 06.

Thanks Red-Bull

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

SmallSoldier wrote:
16 Mar 2019, 10:25
Fulcrum wrote:Aside from the gaffe the team made with Gasly, I think Red Bull shouldn't be too discouraged. Mixing it with the Ferrari drivers in the first race with the new engine is an accomplishment in itself.

Granted, they are significantly behind Mercedes, but I think that reality reflects more negatively on Ferrari than Red Bull.
Well, they were closer to Mercedes last year (0.7 seconds instead of 0.9 seconds)... And closer to Ferrari too, since they were both in the same tenth and now they are 0.2 seconds from them... If anything, they are going backwards and the gap year on year has increased by 0.2 seconds to both teams (and that’s with the super duper China upgrade)

Compared to both Mercedes and Ferrari, Red Bull have had to make far more significant changes this year.
  • Integrating a new power unit.
  • From above, making alterations to the rest of the drive train, chassis, bodywork, everything in other words, to incorporate the Honda PU.
  • Adapting to the new aerodynamic rules.
  • Integrating a new driver.
Mercedes have only had to adapt to the new rules.

Ferrari have a new driver, who most would consider an upgrade on the old one (no offense to Kimi), otherwise its just the rule changes for them as well.

Getting on the second row is a positive outcome, and if they are fighting for the podium tomorrow that would be an excellent start for the season.

KiLLu12258
KiLLu12258

Fulcrum wrote:
16 Mar 2019, 11:35
SmallSoldier wrote:

Compared to both Mercedes and Ferrari, Red Bull have had to make far more significant changes this year.
  • From above, making alterations to the rest of the drive train, chassis, bodywork, everything in other words, to incorporate the Honda PU.

Ferrari have a new driver, who most would consider an upgrade on the old one (no offense to Kimi), otherwise its just the rule changes for them as well.

Getting on the second row is a positive outcome, and if they are fighting for the podium tomorrow that would be an excellent start for the season.
honda made it easier for redbull couse they made the PU for the chassis not the other way.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

KiLLu12258 wrote:
16 Mar 2019, 11:39
Fulcrum wrote:
16 Mar 2019, 11:35
SmallSoldier wrote:

honda made it easier for redbull couse they made the PU for the chassis not the other way.
"Made it easier"

Than what?

Easier than Mercedes supplying a Mercedes engine to the Mercedes team, and Ferrari supplying a Ferrari engine to the Ferrari team? I think not.

Changing your engine supplier is not like changing socks.

DutchDopey
DutchDopey

I think it is an awesome result (apart from Gasly of course). First qualifying with a new motor, they now have so much things to tweak to get more improvement. I also think it is a big questionmark how all the aero changes will impact a full race for all teams. If nobody could predict where they would stand at qualifying they certainly don't know what the race will bring.

Jambier

I see no bad surprise for Red Bull

They're more distant than end 2018, but every year they seem to start slow and make good end of year.

They will win some races this year

HPD

“We tried some other things on the car, but that really didn't work. After that, we didn't put it back to the VT1 position, but something else. We were certainly a lot better than practice. If you do not have a good balance there, then you do not know how it will go, especially if it is so close together," Verstappen said.

“The third time in the earlier sessions was a bit distorted because some people made some mistakes, but luckily still managed to get hold of P4. We can't complain about that after what we've been up to now. And the qualification mode works just fine, I used it nicely!"

“In qualifying I would say it was quite a perfect session in terms of what we could do with performance and in terms of what we have,” Verstappen said. “The whole run-up to it wasn’t perfect.

“We all know that it is a quite strong track for them [Mercedes] and they have been really quick, while we have been playing a lot with the setup to try something different. Some worked, some didn’t obviously in the morning. But I am very happy with fourth in qualifying.”

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/915790/1/ ... actice-not

Capharol
Capharol

Jambier wrote:
16 Mar 2019, 11:55
I see no bad surprise for Red Bull

They're more distant than end 2018, but every year they seem to start slow and make good end of year.

They will win some races this year
and that is what they are aiming for this year, just win a few races

HPD

"This is a separate circuit"
“I am surprised by the dominance of Mercedes. Nobody expected this. Pooh, they are very strong again. But I think it's too early to say that they can't be beat. Remember that this is a separate circuit, we have to wait a while with conclusions. We have not yet performed at the level at which we can perform. "

"But," Marko admitted, "even if everything had been optimal with us, we could never have equaled time. We are now, I think, about the same level as Ferrari. A lot still needs to be done to get ahead. But I believe it is possible. First, let's see what the differences are on "real" circuits. After Bahrain and China we can draw better conclusions and we know better how everyone is really doing. "

According to Marko, there are chances for a podium place before the race, especially for Verstappen. “We are normally faster in the race than in qualifying. We just have to see what we can still do in it. "

"The engine is the only one that has worked well all weekend. We have had no problems with the Honda so far. "
https://www.formule1.nl/nieuws/marko-ve ... erstappen/
Apart from the superior Mercedes best time: Were there still other surprises in the first Formula 1 qualifying of the year? "Maybe Red Bull was faster than we thought," says Romain Grosjean. Mercedes Sporting Director Toto Wolff thinks similarly, saying, "I think Honda has taken a big step forward, so if we look at top speed measurements, it's a completely different Red Bull than before - they're very good on the straights fast."
https://www.motorsport-total.com/formel ... g-19031609