2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Pyrone89

Re: 2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

Jolle wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 15:52
Pyrone89 wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 15:46
Jolle wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 15:31

You do know they have to stay within 40% of the laptime? that's why you hear "keep the delta positive". He was going very slowly throughout the whole lap, the speed you think you see is him spinning up his tires and rubbing his fronts to get any heat in there. Look at other drivers during those periods.

You just don't expect it to be so slippery that the backend steps out because of engine braking.

By the way, Verstappen, Bottas and Vettel went off track during the SC as well, sliding off the circuit on cold slick tires.
That is not how the VSC works. You have to drive 40% slower. There is no minimum speed limit except when lined up behind the SC and in qualifying on your inlap.

Do you have link to Verstappen and Bottas going of under VSC/SC? Verstappens 360 was under green flag conditions and havent seen anythimg other. Bottas crash was also under green flag conditions.
Just look at the F1TV channel, you have all the onboard and team radio's there. If you only get your info from what people put on YouTube, then I understand how you came to your conclusions. Bottas, Vettel and Verstappen all slided off track during the laps catching the safety car, not during the VSC.

Under SC you have to stay within 40% of the speed, that's why they almost penalised Hamilton for going to slow.
Can you provide a video for everyone else?

You are wrong about the rules though. As can be seen twice this year with Bottas, in the race it is allowed to go slower UNTIL the pack has caught the SC. That is how Mercedes gets away with double stacking when they are 1-2 by having their 2nd driver go slower than required. It has been discussed in length after the Monaco GP. The reason for the HAM investigation was because they tought he went to slow while the pack was in line behind the SC, which they later found out was a timing error.
Last edited by Pyrone89 on 29 Jul 2019, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Jolle
Jolle

Pyrone89 wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 15:56
Jolle wrote:
Pyrone89 wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 15:46

That is not how the VSC works. You have to drive 40% slower. There is no minimum speed limit except when lined up behind the SC and in qualifying on your inlap.

Do you have link to Verstappen and Bottas going of under VSC/SC? Verstappens 360 was under green flag conditions and havent seen anythimg other. Bottas crash was also under green flag conditions.
Just look at the F1TV channel, you have all the onboard and team radio's there. If you only get your info from what people put on YouTube, then I understand how you came to your conclusions. Bottas, Vettel and Verstappen all slided off track during the laps catching the safety car, not during the VSC.

Under SC you have to stay within 40% of the speed, that's why they almost penalised Hamilton for going to slow.

You are wrong about the rules though. As can be seen twice this year with Bottas, in the race it is allowed to go as slow as you want UNTIL the pack has caught the SC. That is how Mercedes gets away with double stacking when they are 1-2 by having their 2nd driver go slower than required. It has been discussed in length after the Monaco GP. The reason for the HAM investigation was because they tought he went to slow while the pack was in line behind the SC, which they later found out was a timing error.
Please just read the rules, it's quite clear and if you don't have acces to F1TV, get it or try google yourself. As for Mercedes being able to find the limits of the set delta's under catching the safety car, that is them being clever.

Pyrone89

Jolle wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 16:04
Pyrone89 wrote:
Jolle wrote:

You are wrong about the rules though. As can be seen twice this year with Bottas, in the race it is allowed to go as slow as you want UNTIL the pack has caught the SC. That is how Mercedes gets away with double stacking when they are 1-2 by having their 2nd driver go slower than required. It has been discussed in length after the Monaco GP. The reason for the HAM investigation was because they tought he went to slow while the pack was in line behind the SC, which they later found out was a timing error.
Please just read the rules, it's quite clear and if you don't have acces to F1TV, get it or try google yourself. As for Mercedes being able to find the limits of the set delta's under catching the safety car, that is them being clever.
No, it shows you can drive slower than the delta. Just use logic (if you are not allowed to drive faster or slower than the delta’s you would not be able to make the gaps Merc does and people would be getting penalties all the time), revisit the Monaco discussions, it is explained well there. You are wrong on the rules and you will see for yourself when you google it unless you think you know it better than the FIA and all the teams.

As for the 2nd offs of the persons you mention, I have found zero so far on Youtube and Google. Neither did any of the drivers mentioned it in their press statements so far I can see. Are you sure you are not mistaken the initial ones eith replays or the reconnaissance laps to the grid (not the formation laps). Vettel is the only exception as he had an off likely as on the last lap his deficit suddenly increased by a couple of seconds and Kvyat was suddenly very close.

Jolle
Jolle

Pyrone89 wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 16:13
Jolle wrote:
Pyrone89 wrote:

No, it shows you can drive slower than the delta. Just use logic (if you are not allowed to drive faster or slower than the delta’s you would not be able to make the gaps Merc does and people would be getting penalties all the time), revisit the Monaco discussions, it is explained well there. You are wrong on the rules and you will see for yourself when you google it unless you think you know it better than the FIA and all the teams.

As for the 2nd offs of the persons you mention, I have found zero so far on Youtube and Google. Neither did any of the drivers mentioned it in their press statements so far I can see. Are you sure you are not mistaken the initial ones eith replays or the reconnaissance laps to the grid (not the formation laps). Vettel is the only exception as he had an off likely as on the last lap his deficit suddenly increased by a couple of seconds and Kvyat was suddenly very close.
It's article 39.5. And the delta, in the dry is given by the stewards of the event, a 1.33 in this race. And because you can be a bit faster or a bit slower, between two cars you can easily make a difference to double stack.

As for the video's, well... just get the subscription. it's worth it.

Pyrone89

Jolle wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 16:28
Pyrone89 wrote:
Jolle wrote:

It's article 39.5. And the delta, in the dry is given by the stewards of the event, a 1.33 in this race. And because you can be a bit faster or a bit slower, between two cars you can easily make a difference to double stack.

So you can drive slower. And you are mentioning a dry delta, might have noticed it was pretty wet.
And I am not gettimg a subscription just to see if that happened :lol: . Also hear there are massive issues with the service but maybe it is less bad now than a couple of months ago.

zibby43
zibby43

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 09:58
zibby43 wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 05:02

I didn't downvote you (I've never downvoted anyone), but from my vantage point, a lot of your posts come across as pure trolling (which is probably the cause of the downvotes).
Careful, I got told off by TPTB for calling him a troll. :wink:

But +1 for your post from me =D>
Thanks man. Appreciate that. My post seems to have disappeared. I’m glad I’m not the only one who sees the pattern emerging lol.

On a more on-topic note:

What’s the weather looking like for Hungary? Merc need some dry, reasonable-temp running to help sort out their upgrades.

Gettingonabit
Gettingonabit

Jolle wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 16:28
Pyrone89 wrote:
Jolle wrote:

Pyrone89 - another 0ne on the ignore list.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

zibby43 wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 19:15

On a more on-topic note:

What’s the weather looking like for Hungary? Merc need some dry, reasonable-temp running to help sort out their upgrades.
Currently showing rain showers on Friday, dry Saturday and Sunday. Not hot - 25degC air temperature. Tarmac temps will obviously be much higher if it's sunny for a reasonable period. A bit breezy on Sat and Sun.

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/we ... y_11054703#

So a weekend more like Silverstone than either Austrian GP or German GP.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zibby43
zibby43

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 19:40
zibby43 wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 19:15

On a more on-topic note:

Currently showing rain showers on Friday, dry Saturday and Sunday. Not hot - 25degC air temperature. Tarmac temps will obviously be much higher if it's sunny for a reasonable period. A bit breezy on Sat and Sun.

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/we ... y_11054703#

So a weekend more like Silverstone than either Austrian GP or German GP.
That's encouraging in terms of the actual important sessions. Merc's going to have to rely on their data from this past weekend to get a better idea on setup and tire preparation for their new package.

Great info. Thanks for sharing.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

zibby43 wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 19:45

Your favourite search engine is your friend... :wink:

Pyrone89

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 19:32
Pyrone89 is obviously a Mercedes&Ham-hater, which is fine as we're all allowed to like / dislike as we see fit. But it's best to ignore him when he's so obviously baiting for an argument.
Yes, anyone uttering the slightest criticism of Merc & Ham must be a hater. :roll:. I give credit where it is due (for example the wins earlier this year were amazing, HAM in Silverstone 2008 was awesome, the way they keep developing the car, the Merc team and their achievements these past years resulting in the best cars and team operations ever seen making sure their drivers can rack in the stats, HAM Turkey 2006 GP2 etc.) but I also give criticism when it is due instead of sugarcoating it.

Basically the standard escape when you don't have proper responses based on data or proper understanding of the rules: call someone a hater, troll, #insert one of the dozen other names used also in politics.

Cant have logic and reason getting in the way, can we? Funny thing is, you might learn something from Toto Wolff, who keeps looking for things that went wrong even when they 1-2ed instead of blind optimism.

I am not going to discuss this further, because I think the mods have made clear they dont like these off-topics, personal arguments, calling persons trolls ('just a fan') etc.
Last edited by turbof1 on 30 Jul 2019, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: language

zibby43
zibby43

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 19:47
zibby43 wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 19:45

Your favourite search engine is your friend... :wink:
Living here in the States, it's difficult for me to find what I would consider reliable non-U.S. forecasts. Like, really difficult.

I'm actually a bit of a weather enthusiast (I live in tornado alley), and have all sorts of great meteorology tools and detailed forecasting resources at my disposal locally, but none of the sources that I would considerable reliable here give a damn about what it's doing in Hockenheim or Budapest.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Pyrone89 wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 20:08
but I also give criticism when it is due instead of sugarcoating it.
Such as claiming Hamilton was driving dangerously when he had his nose-breaking accident. Such as going in to the Mercedes thread and crowing about how badly they did. These are nothing more than baiting. You know it, we know it.

A look through your history shows that you do this sort of thing all the time. So enough, thanks.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

zibby43 wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 20:55

Living here in the States, it's difficult for me to find what I would consider reliable non-U.S. forecasts. Like, really difficult.
Having visited the US on holiday a couple of times, I can understand that. :lol:

Pyrone89

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 21:51
Pyrone89 wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 20:08
but I also give criticism when it is due instead of sugarcoating it.
Such as claiming Hamilton was driving dangerously when he had his nose-breaking accident. Such as going in to the Mercedes thread and crowing about how badly they did. These are nothing more than baiting. You know it, we know it.

A look through your history shows that you do this sort of thing all the time. So enough, thanks.
I am not discussing this with you anymore, you keep on repeating the same personal insults.