2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Re: 2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

e30ernest wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 12:36
I really love this team's honesty. They're not afraid to own up on their mistakes. Interesting that their discussion with Lewis wasn't actually about Inters>Softs but Mediums>Softs....
I loved the sarcasm as well with the rain in Brackley

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

Morteza wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 11:40
They are replacing Schuberth as the team's official helmet supplier (does not include the drivers althoughValtteri already wears this brand, Lewis on the other hand is a Bell ambassador)
https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/statu ... 17120?s=19
Here's a member of pit crew wearing one of the new Stilo helmets
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

GPR-A

I have a feeling that the team is nursing PU issues ever since they brought the Spec 2 and aren't running full potential in qualifying, which obviously they have never admitted. They are battling with Ferrari and Red Bull on circuits where they were supposed to have dominated in qualifying with the kind of downforce they have in the car. Valterri has been had more issues with the PU and there was a PU blow up in a Racing Point.

They need their Spec 3 to have addressed the Spec 2 issues, along with a bit more performance for the next set of races after summer break.

bosyber
bosyber

GPR -A wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 18:42
I have a feeling that the team is nursing PU issues ever since they brought the Spec 2 and aren't running full potential in qualifying, which obviously they have never admitted. They are battling with Ferrari and Red Bull on circuits where they were supposed to have dominated in qualifying with the kind of downforce they have in the car. Valterri has been had more issues with the PU and there was a PU blow up in a Racing Point.

They need their Spec 3 to have addressed the Spec 2 issues, along with a bit more performance for the next set of races after summer break.
Yep, have been wondering the same too, not convinced the Spec 2 has brought them everything they wanted; might also further explain some of why Hamilton is saying - message to team too - Honda is with us, and sometimes ahead now.

Pyrone89

Strategy masterstroke by the team, they needed that after Germany. And the updates are also working, seeing how good they were on the tyres and being able to drive in dirty air (used to be an issue)
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Sieper

Very good racing by Hamilton today and also great thinking by Mercedes. I don’t think the undercut was a gamble. They pushed so hard they had a gap to Ferrari to safely go for it. Well strategised and perfectly executed.

subcritical71

He's probably being seen as a the reason for the win (besides the driver, of course) for that strategy call today. Good job.

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

-Great job by the team & LH as well. This was Schumacher-esque drive. Dominant car & dominant driver giving everything.

- There is still significant pace difference between Merc & RB. The team was forced to show their hands here and it was terrifying. But let's not forget this was Hungary, it should have always been that way. Interesting to see pecking order in Spa & Monza. I think Merc will play second fiddle there to Ferrari.

- Granted, Bottas was unlucky and his race was destroyed through no fault of his own, but he was really nowhere come Sunday again. He's not able to challenge HAM anymore and he is close to lose 2nd place to VER in the WDC. So much for Bottas v2.0.
I don't rate him that highly (sorry I'm biased) but I think he hasn't anything to offer anymore. He is almost 30 and he won't get any better.
Strategically, it would be best to put Ocon to that seat, make sure you won't lose this talent to another team.

Espresso
Espresso

Great race, great strategy, wonderful 70 laps of qualification runs by Lewis.
Just another thrilling race. Great to see 'old' Lewis back. When the going gets tough, Lewis is at his best.
Thes were some great F1 races.....and in this form Lewis will be WDC hands down. =D>

Bad luck for Bottas, getting his car cut by LeClerc. That destroyed his race.
Sadly that's show LeClerc's character...(and ...'fear' Ocon has also a bit of that dark side)

(...well either it was a mistake or it was on purpose....I tend to think the latter)
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

F1Krof

Bill_Kar wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 10:01
-Great job by the team & LH as well. This was Schumacher-esque drive. Dominant car & dominant driver giving everything.

- There is still significant pace difference between Merc & RB. The team was forced to show their hands here and it was terrifying. But let's not forget this was Hungary, it should have always been that way. Interesting to see pecking order in Spa & Monza. I think Merc will play second fiddle there to Ferrari.

- Granted, Bottas was unlucky and his race was destroyed through no fault of his own, but he was really nowhere come Sunday again. He's not able to challenge HAM anymore and he is close to lose 2nd place to VER in the WDC. So much for Bottas v2.0.
I don't rate him that highly (sorry I'm biased) but I think he hasn't anything to offer anymore. He is almost 30 and he won't get any better.
Strategically, it would be best to put Ocon to that seat, make sure you won't lose this talent to another team.
I don't think Ocon's proved anything strong to be honest (Besides torpedoing Verstappen in Brazil :P), he's shown to be unnecessarily aggressive and this would possibly put Lewis' operation in jeopardy. I really do believe Bottas is just the right guy for Mercedes. But if they had to change him, I'd rather support the idea of getting Russel over Ocon.

Verstappen would be awesome but I don't think he's going anywhere. I think he's betting on 21' rule change where they expect Newey's genius to show up with the re-introduction of ground effect aero.
Wroom wroom

Capharol
Capharol

F1Krof wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 11:12
I think he's betting on 21' rule change where they expect Newey's genius to show up with the re-introduction of ground effect aero.
the last few years Newey hasn't showed his genius mind at the start of a new season.... always playing catching up

LM10
LM10

When will Hamilton get worse performance wise, I wonder? He shows more speed with increasing age. His skills which have been exceptional ever since, more and more experience, mature/relaxed driving - all these points seem to be getting better.
A bit frightening.

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

F1Krof wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 11:12
Bill_Kar wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 10:01

I don't think Ocon's proved anything strong to be honest (Besides torpedoing Verstappen in Brazil :P), he's shown to be unnecessarily aggressive and this would possibly put Lewis' operation in jeopardy. I really do believe Bottas is just the right guy for Mercedes. But if they had to change him, I'd rather support the idea of getting Russel over Ocon.

Verstappen would be awesome but I don't think he's going anywhere. I think he's betting on 21' rule change where they expect Newey's genius to show up with the re-introduction of ground effect aero.
Don't get me wrong, I would take Verstappen/Russell over Ocon/Bottas any time of the day, I'm just saying it because we know they both are out of the picture.

As I said, Bottas hasn't clicked to me and I rate Ocon. He was really close to Perez and many times he even seemed faster. He was incredibly consistent, but the inter-team squabbles during 2018 seemed to get him. But I believe he should be more mature by now.

Anyway, there are both pros & cons whatever the decision, Wolff knows best.