2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RonDennis
RonDennis

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Ground Effect wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 12:43
Does anyone subscribe to Motorsport.com prime?
I have Autosport premium, which gives access to the same content.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

RonDennis wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 15:43
Ground Effect wrote:
Great, I see a lot of articles by s guy called Ed Straw, how would you rate his opinion pieces, close to factual?

Since it's premium content, I never get the chance to read the full article. He usually has some sensational headlines.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

_cerber1 wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 15:13
Carlos Sainz:
Motorists Renault were able to add, I hope, a more powerful power plant will allow us in Melbourne to be closer to the top three. I can not imagine what the result will be in Australia, but I feel comfortable in the new car, I am confident in it and will attack.

Surprises are always possible. Last year, Haas F1 cars were fast, now they are again able to surprise. The difference between the teams of the middle group is minimal, the results are tight, so the struggle will be intense.

McLaren has a lot of experience in finalizing the car in the course of the season, we are waiting for the emergence of new products that will allow us not to give in to our rivals and add in speed. "
Don't want to read too much into this, but Carlos sounds like a guy targeting the top 4 from the get go, or at least top 5. I hope they can pull a surprise.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

RonDennis
RonDennis

Ground Effect wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 15:48
RonDennis wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
Great, I see a lot of articles by s guy called Ed Straw, how would you rate his opinion pieces, close to factual?

Since it's premium content, I never get the chance to read the full article. He usually has some sensational headlines.
Most of them are long articles with little actual content. He's clearly not a fan of McLaren.

mclaren111

RonDennis wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 16:13
Ground Effect wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 15:48
RonDennis wrote:

Most of them are long articles with little actual content. He's clearly not a fan of McLaren.

And his body size does not correlate to his brain size :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

A bit of a misleading headline, but that's nothing new these days...

https://grandpx.news/renault-to-talk-to ... -alliance/

McHonda
McHonda

God that's depressing.

M840TR
M840TR

Asked why Renault can’t just join the party by making McLaren its ‘B team’, he answered: “Because we are equal teams. Who will be the king and who will be the slave?

“Perhaps we will have to talk to McLaren at some point, but this alliance could never be at the level of Ferrari and Haas, Mercedes and Racing Point, Red Bull and Toro Rosso.”

PowerandtheGlory
PowerandtheGlory

There were reports posted elsewhere on this site that renault and mclaren were talking about a joint venture B team using various parts of the current mclaren and renault cars, using young drivers, and a low budget as most of the parts were shared with the 2 parent teams. Both Zak abd Cyril recognise the benefit if having a second team for development and design and the fact that extra cars on track can take away points from your competitors.. this feels likr manipulating or engineering the racing formula to me, and im not a fan of that. However, a young team with young drivers run on a small budget using the best bits from both mclaren and renault sounds great, and thats what F1 is trying to move towards to reduce cost.
There are better ways to improve F1, but a customer team model / F1 “B” league is a difficult one for me...
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Sainz responds to Marko... I've seen this report on another site, but I posted this one because his comments are slightly different, this is a bit more extensive, which makes me doubt it's authenticity slightly, but thought I should share.

https://grandpx.news/sainz-responds-to- ... -the-back/

mclaren111

GPFans:
After a much stronger pre-season for McLaren in previous years, de Ferran also commented that the team has a much better understanding of their new car than at the same point last season, but as all team’s do, he was quick to play down talk of where they would wind up in the competitive order.

“We’ve certainly put a lot of effort into understanding our weaknesses and our strengths [regarding] the performance of the car, and in understanding the root cause of them - not only from a car design and performance standpoint but also on the organisational side,”said de Ferran.

“Actually, one thing to come out of this test is a decent understanding of how the car is operating and where we need to go to. From that perspective, I think it’s been a really good test. Have we done a good job? I don’t know! We’ll have to wait and see.|

A lot more positive than a year ago...

RonDennis
RonDennis

Possible alliance between Renault and McLaren. I have suggested that before. Why not develop the parts that can be shared together. You have far more data, windtunnel time and so on. In my opinion that's the way forward for both teams.

PowerandtheGlory
PowerandtheGlory

RonDennis wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 15:49
Possible alliance between Renault and McLaren. I have suggested that before. Why not develop the parts that can be shared together. You have far more data, windtunnel time and so on. In my opinion that's the way forward for both teams.

Yup- completely correct.
Ron- do you agree with the customer (slave) team model e.g. HAAS and TR?
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Shader

Ground Effect wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 14:56
Sainz responds to Marko... I've seen this report on another site, but I posted this one because his comments are slightly different, this is a bit more extensive, which makes me doubt it's authenticity slightly, but thought I should share.

Seems he made the same prediction as some of us here. McLaren is about 1s behind the top team.

diffuser

Ground Effect wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 14:56

I think it is funny he says that. I think he has a fear that he will be at the back. Let's face if Early 2018 Max shows up and Gasly(who is really unproven) struggles they could be at the back. We haven't even talked about the Honda PU. I don't expect it but the odds are a lot higher in 2019 of them being at the back or in the middle of the midfield for most of the year points wise than it was in 2018. Ricardo could always be counted on to bring the car home if it allowed it.