2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Same one I'd imagine - looks like a fair bit of adjustment built into it if you look at the mounts.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

PhillipM wrote:Probably a tenth in outright pace but a chunk more in the race due to consistancy and having setup/tyre temperature options with more front grip. Mclaren said in testing they weren't going to try changing the setup too much to sort the front understeer and tyre temps, as it would compromise the car too much, when they had parts coming that would solve most of it anyway.
In addition to the tenth that the upgrade may bring... You also have a tenth or two from the confidence boost that it brings to the drivers... Been able to brake 5 meters later, accelerate a fraction of a second earlier and in general trust the car below you will also have a direct effect on the lap times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rogazilla
rogazilla

Agree there. Driver confidence means you can carry that tenth lap after lap. consistency is important!

Marc.W

Did anyone else see the video where Autosport rated the liveries? McLaren got 8th because it was "too bland" but they gave the Ferrari 1st :lol: :lol: =D>

dtro
dtro

Marc.W wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 17:07
Did anyone else see the video where Autosport rated the liveries? McLaren got 8th because it was "too bland" but they gave the Ferrari 1st :lol: :lol: =D>
:lol: Autosport's content has been pretty terrible lately FWIW.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Nice... They didn't do a McLaren unboxed for Bahrain.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

M840TR
M840TR

Newey on Mclaren's recent form:

"McLaren have obviously had a rough couple of years in terms of probably their chassis not being as good as it could be but they have turned it around this year. That's good for the sport. I think they've produced a good car, for sure, which should certainly give them a much better season than they had last year. It's unlikely it's going to give them race-winning performance but they have made a good step which is positive for the sport."
No mention of the engine, obviously...

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... erformance

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Interesting that they blurred the car.

Regarding Newey's comments, that pretty much confirms it that McLaren has a good car this year. We can be happy with that and hope that McLaren keeps the momentum and builds on it. It would be very good to consolidate as a top midfield team (4th or 5th), especially as I expect the gap to top 3 to reduce.

daren_p
daren_p

FittingMechanics wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 20:25
Not that interesting, they had the P/U cover off, so one would normally expect it to be blurred out at this point of the season.

marmer
marmer

daren_p wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 23:24
FittingMechanics wrote:
Not that interesting, they had the P/U cover off, so one would normally expect it to be blurred out at this point of the season.
seems slighty redundant. of the 4 power units they and honda have the worst in performance while so far renault have the least reliable. so i don't think anyone will be looking expecting to find somthing epic. redbull had the engine last year so will know what the basic method is with the current engine so its hiding nothing as no one is looking.

_cerber1

marmer wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 09:34
seems slighty redundant. of the 4 power units they and honda have the worst in performance while so far renault have the least reliable. so i don't think anyone will be looking expecting to find somthing epic. redbull had the engine last year so will know what the basic method is with the current engine so its hiding nothing as no one is looking.
If there was no point in this, the team would not do it. You just do not know all the nuances.

diffuser

marmer wrote:
daren_p wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:

It could be for legal reasons.

You making the wrong assumption that because there reliability isn't where they want it, they haven't come up with great solutions to common issues. Not to mention they had major upgrade over the winter.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

daren_p wrote:

I found it interesting as I believe there were photographs of the car without the cover already out there. Seemed redundant and unnecessary but I guess it's better safe than sorry.

daren_p
daren_p

marmer wrote:
daren_p wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:

Who's to say its in regards to the P/U itself, it could be more of McLaren not wanting others to see their packaging or other possible "tricks" they don't want to be seen.