2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RonDennis
RonDennis

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

McLaren will be in a good place in 2021.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14394 ... 175million

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

godlameroso wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 22:46
The long run pace seems to be very good as well, it may be genuine pace.
Could we have more details? Also, very encouraging stuff so far. Sainz though trying to keep us grounded.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Sainz does right to, don't forget Mclaren usually run the engines a little harder on Friday than most, and it's definately an engine track. Still looking good though.

Juzh

sainz's P4 lap from fp2

https://streamable.com/1t8vs

McMika98
McMika98

Better long run pace with low deg than even Ferrari. Track will evolve tomorrow but so far they have found the sweet spot.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

PhillipM wrote:Sainz does right to, don't forget Mclaren usually run the engines a little harder on Friday than most, and it's definately an engine track. Still looking good though.
I understand the same thing in previous seasons due to the need to test the engine a little harder... But, is it still the case nowadays?

Regardless, it’s good that the team keep managing expectations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Long run pace on FP2

godlameroso

Seems the hard is the better race tire, if McLaren gets good distance from the softs and goes to hards they can comfortably one stop although the pace will be slightly slower than mediums for the first part of the stint overall it will be faster to go soft hard, than soft medium soft.
Saishū kōnā

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

godlameroso wrote:Seems the hard is the better race tire, if McLaren gets good distance from the softs and goes to hards they can comfortably one stop although the pace will be slightly slower than mediums for the first part of the stint overall it will be faster to go soft hard, than soft medium soft.
Will be interesting to see if a 2 stopper would work too... With Canada being a track where overtaking is “easier”, a 2 stopper soft / soft / hard could be a possibility? Or even a soft / hard / soft... The concern would be to be on pretty worn tires by the end of the race and not having enough pace to defend if needed.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

As we agree things in perspective, I have to say, Sainz is looking like he’s entering into his own and developing into a complete racer. He’s proving to be an inspired signing. Meanwhile, I was kicking and screaming for Ocon :D
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Xero

Race pace looks really good. Renault also looking decent on race pace, backing the progress of the Renault PU. Renault couldn't do long stints on the soft though, they fell away pretty quickly, whereas McLaren managed to go much longer and maintain their pace. Looks promising! Could the hotter temperatures in Montreal be playing into McLaren's hands, given their issues getting heat in the tyres in cooler conditions? Ferrari in the same boat, and also look stronger.

Not expecting more that leading that midfield battle. Red Bull will likely be out of reach, maybe a chance of P6 if Gasly isn't up to speed.

PhillipM
PhillipM

The tyres are going to play havoc if the track doesn't rubber in tommorow enough.

godlameroso

Temps are going to go up for Sunday it may be enough to drive tires out of the window, similarly some clouds could make a big difference in qualiy tomorrow.
Saishū kōnā

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 23:19
PhillipM wrote:Sainz does right to, don't forget Mclaren usually run the engines a little harder on Friday than most, and it's definately an engine track. Still looking good though.
I understand the same thing in previous seasons due to the need to test the engine a little harder... But, is it still the case nowadays?

Regardless, it’s good that the team keep managing expectations.

Not sure what to read into that FP2 though, with the headline times matching last years FP2 session, I would have expected to see more. Leclercs time is at least 2 seconds from pole so there is a lot of uncertainty around still and people are holding their cards very close to their chests. I'm looking forward to FP3 and then Quali to see what unfolds. It looks good, maybe my hope of chasing a Red Bulls tail in the race wasn't too optimistic, but I expect a huge improvement for everyone tomorrow, I just hope we remain in the mix.

Now I jinxed it, and we will qualify P13 and P15 tomorrow ! :roll:
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

geogate
geogate

RonDennis wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 22:48
McLaren will be in a good place in 2021.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14394 ... 175million
not so much - the article states that the current higher spenders are in the 200-250 mil range (of capped spending), makes one wonder what that other 100-200 millon the top 3 spend is