2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
_cerber1

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

mwillems wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 09:18
Would this kind of solution allow Mclaren to bring the wing closer to the ground a small amount, or would that push away air that needs to go to the bottom of the car?
It seems to me that the M840TR is closest to the truth when it says that this solution increases the contact patch of heated rubber in a turn, this is pure mechanics, no aero.

mwillems

_cerber1 wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 09:26
mwillems wrote:
Would this kind of solution allow Mclaren to bring the wing closer to the ground a small amount, or would that push away air that needs to go to the bottom of the car?
It seems to me that the M840TR is closest to the truth when it says that this solution increases the contact patch of heated rubber in a turn, this is pure mechanics, no aero.
Yes but if the height of the wing from the ground is partly dictated by the behaviour of wing yaw in slower corners then does this open up an opportunity to lower the wing since it should now lean less to one side? Whilst it wouldnt benefit aero in the very slow corners it might elsewhere.

It will be interesting to see at what steering angle this system starts to raise and lower the front of the car. Does it affect medium corners a small amount?
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

M840TR
M840TR

mwillems wrote:
Closer surface distance induces ground effect which speeds low-pressure air underneath increasing wing performance. The PoU also presses the tyre closer to tarmac which improves temperature distribution and the greater employable surface area allows more grip.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

McLaren and Renault agreement on reserve driver
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

bosyber
bosyber

Well, good for both teams, and for Sirotkin - he wasn't able to show an awful lot on track last year, but that's at least for a large part due to the car, and maybe the team, he was in. I do think he has shown throughout that he is a team player and hard worker though, so hope it brings him further chances. He didn't do badly in Le Mans last weekend!

ThePapayaJaguar
ThePapayaJaguar

https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/1141981639008030720

Ricciardo will be using a new Spec 3 engine for this weekend. I wonder when we will decide to use this new PU. Makes sense for Lando to use the new PU. The source is a reporter from AMuS.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

ThePapayaJaguar wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 10:51
https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/1141981639008030720

Ricciardo will be using a new Spec 3 engine for this weekend. I wonder when we will decide to use this new PU. Makes sense for Lando to use the new PU. The source is a reporter from AMuS.
If their sticking to the schedule, likely Germany... But the might want to do it at Silverstone. I don’t see the need to rush it in.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Is there any link between BAT and the various organisations that have appeared in its place during some Grand Prix weekends?

M840TR
M840TR

Ground Effect wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 11:55
Is there any link between BAT and the various organisations that have appeared in its place during some Grand Prix weekends?
Canada, Monaco and France etc have stringent Tobacco advertising restrictions.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

M840TR wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 12:15
Ground Effect wrote:
Yes, I know, but I was wondering if there’s any link or relationship between BAT and the companies that have appeared in its place. Is there a partnership between BAT and Dufry, 7-eleven etc? I was just wondering if there’s more commercial benefit for McLaren or the BAT sponsorship covers the replacements as well.

_cerber1

=D> =D> =D>

Renault F1 managing director Cyril Abiteboul said: "We will introduce a new Spec B ICE this weekend on Daniel's car. This ICE represents a good step forward in performance."

https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/ricci ... e/4478524/

PhillipM
PhillipM

_cerber1 wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 09:26
How?
You might have a tiny decrease in the CoG, but it will be minscule compared to the effect from the frong wing running lower.

RonDennis
RonDennis

Ground Effect wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 12:30
M840TR wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 12:15
Ground Effect wrote:
Yes, I know, but I was wondering if there’s any link or relationship between BAT and the companies that have appeared in its place. Is there a partnership between BAT and Dufry, 7-eleven etc? I was just wondering if there’s more commercial benefit for McLaren or the BAT sponsorship covers the replacements as well.
Yes, there is.

BAT insists it will continue to run either advertising for its Vype e-cigarette or 'A better tomorrow' campaign at venues where there are not tobacco advertising restrictions. It will also continue to give the space to other affiliated companies at races where there could be potential problems - like it did with 7-Eleven in Melbourne.

_cerber1

PhillipM wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 13:10
How?
You might have a tiny decrease in the CoG, but it will be minscule compared to the effect from the frong wing running lower.
You want to say that POU works at high speeds? My opinion is that only at large turns of the steering wheel does the kinematics of the suspension change, i.e. at low speed, when the aero does not work.