2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
NiyolHuayra
NiyolHuayra

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Renault Formula 1 boss Cyril Abiteboul says his team was as fast as rival McLaren in the French Grand Prix.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rena ... l/4482666/

We will see about that this weekend.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

NiyolHuayra wrote:
Renault Formula 1 boss Cyril Abiteboul says his team was as fast as rival McLaren in the French Grand Prix.

The performance between the two is really close and there will be some races when Mclaren is ahead and some where Renault is ahead (Renault was faster in Montreal for example).

Hoping that the team nails the setup once again and keeps ahead!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enstone
Enstone

There's still some potential to unlock, most important thing is to win some good race pace, in order to be closer to RB.

With the B-Spec, the new front suspensions and some other modifications, i think they can some great stuff... and if there's a battle between Renault and Maca, it would be great to add some show to the boring races we have since the beginning of the season !

mwillems

NiyolHuayra wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 15:55

We were driving to a Delta so I'm not so sure. But certainly it seems to be shaping up for a closely matched fight for 4th.
It's just a shame we aren't fighting wheel to wheel on track more than we are, rather than swapping positions from track to track.

They do have what I think is a faster driver line up though, so I'm not convinced the car is as fast, rather the package is as fast.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
NiyolHuayra wrote:

We were driving to a Delta so I'm not so sure. But certainly it seems to be shaping up for a closely matched fight for 4th.
It's just a shame we aren't fighting wheel to wheel on track more than we are, rather than swapping positions from track to track.

They do have what I think is a faster driver line up though, so I'm not convinced the car is as fast, rather the package is as fast.
RIC is definitely fast... But I believe that both Carlos and Lando have showed great speed so far this season.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Carlos beating Gasly, that must feel nice for him.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 18:26
mwillems wrote:
NiyolHuayra wrote:

RIC is definitely fast... But I believe that both Carlos and Lando have showed great speed so far this season.

They have at times, with experience lando is only going to get faster. But I personally rate Hulk and Ric as very fast drivers and each better than ours, I think we have decent drivers but a very fast car.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Bisonas

NiyolHuayra wrote:

That's rubbish.
RIC did 1.34.873 on lap 47 with new spec.
HUL did 1.34.754 on lap 45 and 1.34.979 on lap 51
SAI did 1.34.561 on lap 52

SAI was for sure not pushing at all. They had a lot more pace and everything was under control. His best time 2 laps from the end shows that.

What we don't know is how the tyres would last if he was actually pushing in the second half of the race.
RIC was pushing the tyres a lot more trying to catch up. His average lap time for sure is better on second half than SAI and his tyres seemed ok until the end.
SAI wasn't pushing and his tyres where ok for sure. But we don't know in what condition his tyres would be if he was actually pushing in the second half.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Bisonas wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 19:10
NiyolHuayra wrote:

That's rubbish.
RIC did 1.34.873 on lap 47 with new spec.
HUL did 1.34.754 on lap 45 and 1.34.979 on lap 51
SAI did 1.34.561 on lap 52

SAI was for sure not pushing at all. They had a lot more pace and everything was under control. His best time 2 laps from the end shows that.

What we don't know is how the tyres would last if he was actually pushing in the second half of the race.
RIC was pushing the tyres a lot more trying to catch up. His average lap time for sure is better on second half than SAI and his tyres seemed ok until the end.
SAI wasn't pushing and his tyres where ok for sure. But we don't know in what condition his tyres would be if he was actually pushing in the second half.
Carlos said that was the easiest P6 he’s had, that says everything, to be fair.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

RS200E

Not really going along with all this "driving to a delta".

For one, of course they are because the tyres have to last the stint and Lando had issues so no need to push and the outcome would have been the same... 1 minute behind Red Bull.

It was a great position to finish in but there is no hidden glory behind it.

As all the McLaren guys have said, it will be track specific this year. Once McLaren can nail most tracks like Mercedes then that will be another well needed improvement.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

RS200E wrote:Not really going along with all this "driving to a delta".

For one, of course they are because the tyres have to last the stint and Lando had issues so no need to push and the outcome would have been the same... 1 minute behind Red Bull.

As all the McLaren guys have said, it will be track specific this year. Once McLaren can nail most tracks like Mercedes then that will be another well needed improvement.
Well, during the race the team kept asking Carlos to build a gap to Gasly at roughly half a second a lap and Carlos was complying... They kept feeding him Gasly’s lap times for him to get the Delta and cover his pitstop.

It did looked like they were racing to certain time delta all race.

ispano6

Probably not a big deal, but back in Canada, there was a close up of Lando where he made an effort to cover his steering wheel's screen. What do you suppose he was meant to hide?

bosyber
bosyber

RS200E wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 01:22
Not really going along with all this "driving to a delta".

But, if they would have added another half a second, and considering that Norris almost made it, perhaps then they would have kept that position. So, driving to a delta in the end cost them (alt: the problem showed their delta was too small to actually be safe). That being too conservative is punished, is something I find satisfying.

trinidefender
trinidefender

Austrian race preview:
https://www.mclaren.com/racing/2019/aus ... p-preview/
Carlos Sainz #55

“We go to Austria with good momentum following a strong performance in France. We were the fourth fastest car out there the whole weekend and my ambition is to keep getting closer to the cars ahead while keeping the other midfield teams behind. It's not easy, but we're working in the right direction and we still need to keep pushing at every race.

“On Sunday afternoon, after the race debrief, our focus immediately switched to maximising our package for what can be a challenging circuit in Austria. This is the first back-to-back of the season and I can't wait to race again.”

Lando Norris #4

“I’m looking forward to experiencing the Austrian circuit in an F1 car for the first time. I had a good result there in F2 last year. We showed that we had good pace in France and I did everything I could, but it ended up being out of my control. I’m pleased to have scored points anyway.

“We know that we’ve got to keep on working hard to stay ahead of the rest of the midfield. Austria is a fun and quick circuit and I’m looking forward to going racing again.”

Andreas Seidl, Team Principal

"We head to the Alps aiming to replicate the strong weekend we had in France. The team executed last weekend well, but, as always, we must not get complacent heading into the next race. Reliability remains an important focus for the team and the points at stake can make all the difference in the battle for the championship.

“There’s a really positive atmosphere within the team and among the fans which is motivating us to push harder and harder at each race weekend. The commitment and performance shown by our drivers is encouraging everyone back at the factory to give it their all and provide Carlos and Lando with the best possible car.

“Austria is a unique track and the first high-altitude circuit of the calendar. These characteristics pose a new set of challenges that we haven’t faced yet with the MCL34, however we're prepared to meet them head-on and look forward to an exciting weekend of racing.”

zoroastar
zoroastar

PhillipM wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 17:46
I wonder if they'll take the upgraded engines for Silverstone? High speed track that should suit them and home GP to boot.
Might mean taking one early next time around 'cause I think they're nearing grid penalities for Sainz otherwise?
i have a feeling that they will take them this weekend so they dont have to take a penalty at silverstone. at least in carlos's car. but we shall see. i dont remember how many races the current PUs have on them.