A lap at Le Mans

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Tom

A lap at Le Mans

Hi all,

really caught Le Mans fever this year and was wondering if anyone happened to know a high-ish quality video of an onboard lap of the le mans circuit? Ta Tom
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

vyselegend

I only know this one, in a Porsche 917, not very good quality, but it's configuration 2, without the chicanes, the main straight is sooooooo long!
enjoy :wink: :

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 6824248734

Tp
Tp

Bloody hell that 917's fast!!!!!!!

Tom

holy ---, I just couldn't hold that speed down Mulsanne for 1 minute!!!
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

NickT

:shock: :shock: :shock: Amazing :shock: :shock: :shock:

Now that is a real mans car, real gearbox and clutch, no traction control, just monster power and big balls.....

....... no , no , no, not big balls ......

Bloody Enormous Balls....... :shock:
NickT

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Thats not a 917 BTW, the car clearly is turbo(which the Le Mans 917 never was), and the track has Porsche curves instead of the Maison Blanche as it was in the 70s, and the cars it passed were group C cars.....

Its probably a 956 or 962....

vyselegend

Yes, you may be right for this one Racing maniac, plus the configuration 2 (or it was the 1, I begin to doubt) without the chicanes, is no longer used in the official Le Mans 24 hours race. It was changed in 1991, for obvious safety reason (remember this is not a former race track, all the long straight is part of national roads, which explain the very bumpy nature of the tarmac and the ridiculous safety measure, with concrete barriers along the road as in Monaco but on a 400 km/h + track :roll: )
BTW the record of speed of the track is unbeatable since then, a stunning 405 km/h (something like 251 mph).

NickT

I wonder if the chicanes wern't just put in to slow the cars down, but to also keep the drivers awake :shock: That is one very long straight at 3am after 8 hours of driving and little or no sleep :shock: Just imagine you dozed of for a few seconds and missed you braking point :shock: :shock: :shock:
NickT

Scuderia_Russ

Great vid.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

zac510
zac510

RacingManiac wrote:Thats not a 917 BTW, the car clearly is turbo(which the Le Mans 917 never was), and the track has Porsche curves instead of the Maison Blanche as it was in the 70s, and the cars it passed were group C cars.....

Its probably a 956 or 962....
You are correct :) It is from a f-en awesome video called Incar 956.

Derek Bell laps the 956 around Brands Hatch, LeMans, Nordschleiffe and many more.

[EDF]Fx
[EDF]Fx

ooooh man that car is fast!! and the straight is very long. I knew Le Mans used to have a long straight but still.

/ Fx

dumrick
dumrick

Wow, is one thing to have an idea how the 956 behaved, it's completely different to actually see it :shock: .
The undesteering in the middle of the turns and power oversteering in the exit! It's incredible how guys drove it through the whole race not crashing once (and the traffic? My God, the traffic...)!!!!!

I've the Le Mans fever since the mid-80's and I still follow it on TV every year!

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

I still can't believe Porsche uses locked diff for both 956 and 962.....

dumrick
dumrick

RacingManiac wrote:I still can't believe Porsche uses locked diff for both 956 and 962.....
I've heard that they used it having in mind that, this way, if a shaft failed in an endurance race, they would have traction to bring the car to the pits...

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

dumrick wrote:
RacingManiac wrote:I still can't believe Porsche uses locked diff for both 956 and 962.....
I've heard that they used it having in mind that, this way, if a shaft failed in an endurance race, they would have traction to bring the car to the pits...
But it certainly will greatly compromise the car's handling......they could've achieve that same effect with the clutch-type diff with preload....or even a viscous type diff...