Scrubbing in F1 tires

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Scrubbing in F1 tires

Something I hadn't thought about till now.. do they scrub in F1 tires before they throw em on during a race? Or do they run stickers?
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

NickT

7 sets of tyres for the weekend and they like to keep as many brand new ones as possible for the race and for qualifying as they produce their fastest laps when new. So no, for the 2006 season atleast, they don't scrub tyres.
NickT

tf1
tf1

Nickt are you sure? I could have sworn one of the top teams (renault?) used a set of used or scrubbed tires at one of the recent races this year. I think Spain....

But I agree for the most part that they use brand new tires that are warmed until just before they are brought out for a pit change.

NickT

tf1 wrote:Nickt are you sure? I could have sworn one of the top teams (renault?) used a set of used or scrubbed tires at one of the recent races this year. I think Spain....
Yes, if the teams had a choice they would always prefer to use new tyres at every pit stop. However, with the tyre war in full swing that might yet change before the end of the season.
NickT

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Hm. The one time we tried running stickers, they didn't grip nearly as well as a new, scrubbed in tire on the first lap. I have a feeling ours may have had quite a bit of mold release on them though.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

With sticker tires, you can get those "golden" quick laps in the first two or three laps. But after that, their performance stabilizes. But with new tires, you don't know what you have until you hit the track. Although the build qualify is excellent and consistent, occasionally you get a set that just doesn't seem to get the most out of the car. Witness Shu's first stint at Australia, where he was shamefully off the pace.
But scrubbed tires have already had one heat cycle, and although they have lost the golden lap freshness, are a known quantity, and quite stable.
And of course, ciircumstances such as qualifying may force you to use stickers for just a few laps. And since you have a limited supply, they will be held in reserve in case circumstances force you or they seem advantageous to use.

mini696

MS gets massa to use all his sets of tyres in the practice sessions so he has fresh (new) ones for the race.

The teams can heat cycle a tyre without it being on the car, so they get the best of both worlds (fresh rubber, plus cycled).

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

mini696 wrote:MS gets massa to use all his sets of tyres in the practice sessions so he has fresh (new) ones for the race.

The teams can heat cycle a tyre without it being on the car, so they get the best of both worlds (fresh rubber, plus cycled).
I thought tires are nominated to the drivers anyway, they can't share tires between the 2 drivers...

dcdabest
dcdabest

RacingManiac wrote: I thought tires are nominated to the drivers anyway, they can't share tires between the 2 drivers...
I think that what he meant was that Massa does a greater share of the tyre testing, using up more of his 7 allocated sets than Schumacher.

If true, it is a shame that Ferrari hasn't allowed their No. 2 drivers a fair chance against Michael.
Im thinking of all the li'l starving Africans...

RH1300S
RH1300S

Ermm...let's try and keep this topic on tyres please :wink:

I am not to clear about the benefits of scrubbed tyres in the F1 context. In other forms of racing, I understand that a scrubbed set will have been through a (some) heat cycle(s) and will be more durable. Also, the release agents etc. can get scrubbed off.

I am sure that the F1 guys are more than able to put tyres through heat cycles before they get put on a car, also it can't be beyond the wit of man to clean the tyre surface of agents before it hits the track.

Paying attention to commentary, it's pretty obvious that a fresh tyre has more speed than a scrubbed one - but for how long and will a scrubbed one last longer?

Does anyone have any real knowledge about this? It's an interesting subject.

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

New tires are not necessarly better....usually new tires have a kind o polish on them that keeps them shiny and usually teams scrub the tires to remove this shiny polish that actually is quite slippery! Usually new tires only reach their optimum grip levels after a 2 lap scrub.

Jason

2 laps scurb should not be enough for Hards, the Hards tends to wear less. But do make good choices for long period of braking and long strainghts. BTW Alonso was on used tyres for Monaco, Schumi stickers on his tyre when he came out of pit stop. Personally I think Renault starts with used tyres taken from Qualifying to saved tyres for their pit stops so they could do longer stints with the new tyres available.
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

MrT
MrT

In the realms of the usual racer sticker tyres are not the best performance for two reasons.

1. The tyres are sold after being released from the mould. They still have release agent in the very surface of the tyre, after the first corner or couple of corners this disappears and the grip is increased.

2. Tyres gerneraly are not sold with enougth heat cycles to produce the maximum grip on the first laps. Once one or two heat cycles are put through the tyres the grip may increase before falling off.

mini696

MS's tyres at Monaco were 'stickers', however the commentators said they had been through a heat cycle. You could alos see the only part of the sticker remaining was inside the grooves, so obviously the tyre had done some running. I wonder why Ferrari didnt remove all the sticker.

Bridgestones have tended to be crap for the first couple of laps, and then come to the drivers later and not last long, Michellins are somewhat the opposite (good for the first few laps, then drop off, but last longer). Yes I am aware that this is very general.