Scuderia Ferrari SF90

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bosyber
bosyber

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF90

Wow, yeah, if that's the case I can definitely see why they'd want to first test the new/renewed suspension in an on-track test before committing to using it for a race weekend; if that means they lose out a bit in s3 but are still as fast as in testing on the rest of the track, well that would be manageable (provided they get the tyres working).

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

bosyber wrote:
09 May 2019, 22:11
Wow, yeah, if that's the case I can definitely see why they'd want to first test the new/renewed suspension in an on-track test before committing to using it for a race weekend; if that means they lose out a bit in s3 but are still as fast as in testing on the rest of the track, well that would be manageable (provided they get the tyres working).
Maybe the key to solve the tire problem is the suspension itself?

falonso81

Its a logical decision to test the new suspension even more before going forward with it. I didn't know though that Ferrari was running essentially last years suspension till now. Fingers crossed that we will see SF-90 working like it should when they get the new suspension on.

f1316
f1316

If that’s true - and Ferrari had to revert to a more traditional suspension after the crash in testing - it would explain A LOT.

Separately, Chandok seems to think that the actual engine cover has been shrunk (in addition to the shark fin change) - that was my immediate impression when looking at the logo but then it’s change in placement convinced me otherwise. Thoughts?

.poz
.poz

CriXus wrote:
09 May 2019, 22:06
The rim that exploded in Testing, wasn't caused by a debry on track, the suspension itself did that. Since test 2 Ferrari used almost the same suspension they used with the SF-71H.
How can a suspension broke a rim ??? Ok, if a suspension arm broke it can hit the wheel but that was not the case.
Also Ferrari ran the same _external_ front suspension in test 1/2: can an hydraulic 3rd element broke rim ??

tpe
tpe

I wanted to ask this weeks now.
During the 1st winter test we saw a few GIFs with the Ferrari to change the front/back ride height during breaking.
Did we see that after the rim accident?
Also, did we see that during the races?

LM10
LM10

f1316 wrote:
10 May 2019, 11:19
If that’s true - and Ferrari had to revert to a more traditional suspension after the crash in testing - it would explain A LOT.

Separately, Chandok seems to think that the actual engine cover has been shrunk (in addition to the shark fin change) - that was my immediate impression when looking at the logo but then it’s change in placement convinced me otherwise. Thoughts?
Why would they increase the size of the shark fin on it’s own? It’s been quite big anyway. For me, it’s a sign for a tighter engine cover. And by looking at it closely, it’s visible.
Last edited by LM10 on 10 May 2019, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.

LM10
LM10

tpe wrote:
10 May 2019, 11:41
During the 1st winter test we saw a few GIFs with the Ferrari to change the front/back ride height during breaking.
The pretty significant ride height change under breaking was not there in test week 2 anymore. Same goes for the races.

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

So speaking of waste gates - I have not seen this year's Ferrari produce that oil vapor at the end of the car. Is that cause of oil regs being tightened up even more?

SiLo

Did Ferrari really bring minimal updates to the grand prix here? I thought we would see a lot more changes to the car.
Felipe Baby!

LM10
LM10

SiLo wrote:
10 May 2019, 17:43
Did Ferrari really bring minimal updates to the grand prix here? I thought we would see a lot more changes to the car.
Have you followed Baku? If yes, you must have seen that they already brought a part of the upgrades planned for Barcelona to Baku.

tpe
tpe

LM10 wrote:
10 May 2019, 12:48
tpe wrote:
The pretty significant ride height change under breaking was not there in test week 2 anymore. Same goes for the races.
Hmm.
Do we know if any other team protested?
And something else. I am far from an expert, but could it be possible that the front wing design actually cools down the tires?

falonso81

tpe wrote:
10 May 2019, 20:14
LM10 wrote:
10 May 2019, 12:48
tpe wrote:
Hmm.
Do we know if any other team protested?
And something else. I am far from an expert, but could it be possible that the front wing design actually cools down the tires?
I am not an expert either, but i do not believe the experts at Ferrari cant spot such a serious design flaw.

FW17

Car maybe too long and suffers in the slow speed corners

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

FW17 wrote:
11 May 2019, 06:27
Car maybe too long and suffers in the slow speed corners
Tell that to Mercedes. :wtf: