Scuderia Ferrari SF90

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wickedz50
wickedz50

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF90

digitalrurouni wrote:
11 May 2019, 06:53
FW17 wrote:
11 May 2019, 06:27
Car maybe too long and suffers in the slow speed corners
Tell that to Mercedes. :wtf:
When Merc went for a long wheelbase they were too good, when they chose a short wheelbase they are strong too...signifies that the ideas and the good understanding they have. Ferrari with a shorter wheelbase lost out to Merc because of the Merc engine which was very powerful at that time, now Ferrari thought that they have a strong powerful engine ...better than Merc but at most its equal...may be some where ahead but the knowledge to work a longer wheelbase is still missing in the Ferrari...hence this issue. By the time they finally understand the season will be over
I would have personally liked Ferrari to stick to the short wheelbase as they had immense knowledge over it and they could have beaten Merc this season. Sad that any new thing Ferrari does they have an opponent who is outsmarting them.
This season is gradually looking to be a repeat of 2016. They had their chances in 2018 and 2017 but they threw it away.

FW17

digitalrurouni wrote:
11 May 2019, 06:53
FW17 wrote:
11 May 2019, 06:27
Car maybe too long and suffers in the slow speed corners
Tell that to Mercedes. :wtf:
Probably can when they start running the same rake

Partymood
Partymood

Ferrari had new bits delivered last night and mechanics worked on the car until 10pm. They went for scrutiny by the FIA just before FP3

https://twitter.com/BerrageizF1/status/ ... 9641385984

MtthsMlw

Xwang
Xwang

Is it something new?

MtthsMlw

Xwang wrote:
11 May 2019, 13:04
Is it something new?
No just for future reference.

Fer.Fan
Fer.Fan

What a bad result, 0,8 sek off MB.

Sorry to inform you but 2019 seasong is write off.

dfegan358
dfegan358

Ferrari going to struggle badly in Monaco if this low speed corner performance continues.

timbo
timbo

I wonder if the weight distribution is not correct? What are the rules on weight distribution?

henry

timbo wrote:
11 May 2019, 19:54
I wonder if the weight distribution is not correct? What are the rules on weight distribution?
4.2 Weight distribution :
The weight applied on the front and rear wheels must not be less than the weight specified in Article 4.1 factored by 0.455 and 0.535 respectively at all times during the qualifying practice session. Rounding will be to nearest 0.5kg.
The weight in 4.1 is currently 743kg. So they have a little more than 7kg to play with.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

roon
roon

timbo wrote:
Components are still in roughly the same locations. What makes you think that? Not disagreeing.

timbo
timbo

henry wrote:
11 May 2019, 20:35
4.2 Weight distribution :
The weight applied on the front and rear wheels must not be less than the weight specified in Article 4.1 factored by 0.455 and 0.535 respectively at all times during the qualifying practice session. Rounding will be to nearest 0.5kg.
The weight in 4.1 is currently 743kg. So they have a little more than 7kg to play with.
Thank you. Doesn't seem like an awful lot.
roon wrote:
11 May 2019, 21:39
timbo wrote:
Components are still in roughly the same locations. What makes you think that? Not disagreeing.
Just watched the onboard comparison between Vettel and Bottas. Vettel was faster through t9, which to me indicates that DF and aero balance is there. He was loosing out way too much on the slow stuff and the car felt very unwilling to turn in. The tyres should not cold by then, after all the fast corners, so IMO there is some mechanical problem.

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

During his interview with JB post-quali, Vettel hinted that "the traction isn't quite there" or something like that.

Seems like a traction problem which has haunted Ferrari before. If that's true, they should be really slow at Monaco.

And yes, this season is over. It's time to follow the Hamilton vs. Bottas battle, although that really doesn't interest me in the slightest!

f1316
f1316

In principle there’s supposed to be a new front suspension to be tested in the post Barcelona test (albeit i’m gleaning that only from what I’ve read on here, so liberal pinches of salt etc.) and I’m more and more starting to believe that Ferrari had to revert to their current (more conventional) suspension after the Vettel crash at the start of test 2 pre-season. If so, and if it is a mechanical issue as has been widely and imo most-logically suggested, then there could be light very imminently at the end of the tunnel.

And it only takes Hamilton and Bottas to crash into each other once - in the Spain 2016 style - for there to be an almost total reset, so I wouldn’t throw in the towel just yet. If and when both Ferrari and RB get a handle on the new regs, there are still plenty of opportunities to make up big points gaps.

MtthsMlw

f1316 wrote:
12 May 2019, 12:41
In principle there’s supposed to be a new front suspension to be tested in the post Barcelona test (albeit i’m gleaning that only from what I’ve read on here, so liberal pinches of salt etc.) and I’m more and more starting to believe that Ferrari had to revert to their current (more conventional) suspension after the Vettel crash at the start of test 2 pre-season. If so, and if it is a mechanical issue as has been widely and imo most-logically suggested, then there could be light very imminently at the end of the tunnel.

And it only takes Hamilton and Bottas to crash into each other once - in the Spain 2016 style - for there to be an almost total reset, so I wouldn’t throw in the towel just yet. If and when both Ferrari and RB get a handle on the new regs, there are still plenty of opportunities to make up big points gaps.
That rumor is only spread by f1analisitecnica.com, too bad there are no photos of the suspension in testing. Only now one can see that it's alomst identical to last year. I guess time will tell as pictures of the suspension elements are quite common.