Scuderia Ferrari SF90

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF90

Blackout wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 14:17
Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 14:15
There appears to be a sizeable intake below the roll hoop intake and above/behind the driver's headrest.
Yes but 71h had a similar one there.
Yes, but the 90's is much bigger it seems. I guess they've moved some of the intake from the side of the roll hoop to below the roll hoop. Which makes sense if you can attach the rear of whatever is being fed by that hole to a low pressure region to suck air through. It'll tidy up the flow off the driver's helmet too. I would guess whatever is fed by that duct is exiting via the vents behind the halo mounts. That would help to tidy up the flow behind the halo too which would help the rear of the car.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

dren

I wonder if Ferrari abandoned their water intercooler that they had above their PU to lower CoG? It appears they focused on lowering the CoG and flow to the rear wing.
Honda!

Blackout

Makes sens just_a_fan.
dren wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 14:26
I wonder if Ferrari abandoned their water intercooler that they had above their PU to lower CoG? It appears they focused on lowering the CoG and flow to the rear wing.
Edit: you're right, it was above :P
Last edited by Blackout on 15 Feb 2019, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.

CriXus
CriXus

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

Vasconia

f1316 wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 14:12
It’s really interesting; Ferrari have made huge packaging gains here but they don’t manifest in smaller sidepods like everyone else - they look much the same (albeit don’t be fooled by black rather than red paint around the sidepod inlet) - instead they have a minuscule roll-hoop inlet (look at it vs the Renault, for example) and less height used for engine packaging (compare shark fins).

As has been mentioned, it all seems to be focused around the new rear wing but it’s the opposite philosophy from pretty much everyone else.

Top 3 are all quite divergent in terms of aero philosophy - fascinating.
This is the best sceneario for an exciting season. Hopefully the 3 concepts work which would be incredible.

paddyf1
paddyf1

Blackout wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 14:29
Makes sens just_a_fan.
dren wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 14:26
Edit: you're right, it was above :P
Yeah thats the vibe i`m getting from the car, that perhaps they want to lower the COG.

paddyf1
paddyf1

The engine cover of the new Ferrari to be raced in 2019 is considerably narrower in order to improve the car’s aero efficiency. Work on refining engine components and relocation of some of its ancillaries has led to a reduction in the space taken up, thus allowing for a much more compact bodywork design. This has the advantage of cleaning the airflow to the rear wing. The air intake now has a similar shape to that found on the 2016 car, while work on the fluid-dynamics inside the car means it has the same level of cooling efficiency as the SF71H, while taking up less space.

Mathew76
Mathew76

really impressive!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Imagine how sleek the car would look if they got rid of that shark fin. It would be similar to the old F2002 and F2003.

Actually, when you look at those old cars, they appear to be all nose and very little engine cover at all. The current cars really have had a lot of length added behind the driver.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

A thought: If Ferrari are working hard to improve airflow quality to the rear wing, does that indicate that they've struggled to get the floor to work as well as it did previously. Are they looking to make the downforce at the rear end from the wing to compensate. Reducing drag elsewhere would help keep the overall L/D as high as possible too.

Does the fact that RedBull and Mercedes haven't take this approach suggest that they have managed to keep the floor working with the new regulations?

Is this actually a different concept to downforce production between the Ferrari and the RBR/Mercedes?

As I say, just a thought.

MtthsMlw

Weird DRS mechanism.

MtthsMlw

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 14:47
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzckDX5W0AE723O.jpg
Imagine how sleek the car would look if they got rid of that shark fin. It would be similar to the old F2002 and F2003.

Actually, when you look at those old cars, they appear to be all nose and very little engine cover at all. The current cars really have had a lot of length added behind the driver.

https://img.favcars.com/ferrari/formula ... rs_1_l.jpg
Found on reddit

Marc Herden
Marc Herden

MtthsMlw wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 15:01
Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 14:47
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzckDX5W0AE723O.jpg

https://img.favcars.com/ferrari/formula ... rs_1_l.jpg
https://i.redd.it/zuewexjispg21.jpg
Found on reddit
I really have to say that the car looks quite cool with the shark-fin removed. Looks way less bulky

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

MtthsMlw wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 14:57
Weird DRS mechanism.
It appears that they're using the mechanism to both lift the front of the flap and support the rear. I guess the end pivots aren't strong enough on their own, or they're worried about it over rotating when open as it now opens more than in previous years.