McLaren MCL34

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
DiogoBrand

Re: McLaren MCL34

I was thinking about that whole front suspension geometry that lowers the car when steering lock is applied, and that got me thinking:
If when you straighten the wheel you are actually lifting the front of the car, does that mean you have to apply more force than normal to unwind the wheel? Since the caster angle is what creates the self aligning forces for the front wheels, does this geometry means they may have to take extra care with the caster angle so that the self aligning forces are enough to lift the car?

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

mclaren111 wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 09:40
And to think a lot of people thought PP has lost his mojo...
I get the feeling PP was being frustrated by Goss
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

M840TR
M840TR

Interesting comment by AMuS on Merc's front-end:

The car certainly has more downforce than the assembled competition. But is that all? Obviously, the car also generates better mechanical grip and keeps the tire temperatures always in the window via a sophisticated rim heater.

For example, one hears that Mercedes drives ahead with less camber than the opponents. You have to be able to afford that. Almost all of the opponents come to the limit of what Pirelli claims to be. To heat up the tires faster. Disadvantage: This reduces the contact surface of the tire with the road.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... er-sektor/

f1rules
f1rules

more pics added to this great mcl34 galery from france

https://www.f1analisitecnica.com/2019/0 ... llery.html

martinbeiker
martinbeiker

POU still on the cars?

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

So happy for McLaren. Also seems like they seem to have figured out the trick with the tires as well?

Thunder

The Discussion about the new WInd Tunnel has been moved to the TEam Thread.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

diffuser

Not sure if anyone has posted this ...Craig Scarborough is always a good read.

So is the POU change of ride height being caused by when the steering is turned either right or left, the upright moves away from the top of the pushrod. Since it's a rod and is attached, the result is the car drops? If one doesn't have the upright there. It is a smaller change in distance. Kind of like moving at wrist as opposed to moving at the elbow. The further away the join is from the hand the more exaggerated the movement.

https://www.racefans.net/2019/06/22/ana ... uspension/

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

DiogoBrand wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 11:14
I was thinking about that whole front suspension geometry that lowers the car when steering lock is applied, and that got me thinking:
If when you straighten the wheel you are actually lifting the front of the car, does that mean you have to apply more force than normal to unwind the wheel? Since the caster angle is what creates the self aligning forces for the front wheels, does this geometry means they may have to take extra care with the caster angle so that the self aligning forces are enough to lift the car?
https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24100 ... n-part-two

Allison mentions it and talks a fair bit about the wing dropping on turn but basically yes. If you just add that style of suspension to a car without tweaking and working on it then both the car naturally wants to turn to one side rather than stay straight so a driver has to essentially work harder to hold the car straight and bumps/movement down the straight becomes more of a problem to fight to stop the car wanting to turn, but as you say the driver has to work a bit harder to pull the car up as it straightens up.

He basically says there is a reason that Ferrari introduced it and kept taking it on and off car for several months because you really need to have it working smoothly with lots of other fancy adjustments to make the car feel more normal after adding such a system.

f1rules
f1rules

No, has been removed

martinbeiker wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 15:49
POU still on the cars?
Last edited by f1rules on 23 Jun 2019, 08:34, edited 1 time in total.

McMika98
McMika98

Ground Effect wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 12:05
mclaren111 wrote:
A certain someone named James Key i believe has been instrumental in this turn of fortunes more so than PP. The car aerodynamically does not stand out at all, front limited, not enough downforce compared to top and even Haas to help in fast corners. Where they have excelled is the tyre operating window and not overheating the rears which most team bar Merc have struggled with. Hallmark of James has been designing cars with stable balance that the drivers can push.

f1rules
f1rules

Im sorry but no, james keys influence will only be seen later, this car and its characteristics was in place long before him

mclaren111

McMika98 wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 08:10
Ground Effect wrote:
22 Jun 2019, 12:05
mclaren111 wrote:
A certain someone named James Key i believe has been instrumental in this turn of fortunes more so than PP. The car aerodynamically does not stand out at all, front limited, not enough downforce compared to top and even Haas to help in fast corners. Where they have excelled is the tyre operating window and not overheating the rears which most team bar Merc have struggled with. Hallmark of James has been designing cars with stable balance that the drivers can push.

James had no hand in MCL34... He only arrived a couple of months ago... As Mclaren said, MCL34 was about getting back to basics and have a solid foundation that can be developed... That has worked well so far... I do agree with being front limited but it seems improvements are being made all the time...

2018 vs 2019

1.32.976 vs 1.29.418 = 3.558 improvement

michl420
michl420

I have thought it all year and it is now confirmed. This car likes hot temperatures and circumstance with high tire degradation. Also noteworthy no cooling outlets by the halo, maybe they not like them (aerodynamic) or too big coolers (improvement possible).

mclaren111

Is that an air "conditioner" at the underside of the wishbone (just to the right of bodywork) or something hanging loose ??