McLaren MCL34

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1rules
f1rules

Re: McLaren MCL34

with a little help of a Scarbsf1 picture and a picture from mclaren taken at race prep. it shows how different the new bargeboard attachmentspoint to the tea tray is old vs new. Should allow more air to the rear while at the same time creating a stronger more agressive outwash protecting the floor and the airflow to the rear

mclaren111

LuisFeF1:
Yesterday I made a mistake when I told you that @ McLarenF1 had placed a longer deflector on the front wing.
Is not correct !!!

charliesmithhd

mclaren111 wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 15:20
LuisFeF1:
Yesterday I made a mistake when I told you that @ McLarenF1 had placed a longer deflector on the front wing.
Is not correct !!!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D_bQIz0WwAI9JLs.jpg:large
What was it then?

M840TR
M840TR

charliesmithhd wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 15:22
mclaren111 wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 15:20
LuisFeF1:
Is not correct !!!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D_bQIz0WwAI9JLs.jpg:large
What was it then?
They've shortened it.

mclaren111

gokarter
gokarter

Wondering what position do you rank the mcl34 in terms of chassis performance?

charliesmithhd

gokarter wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 18:10
Probs 6th behind haas and Renault

gokarter
gokarter

Haas?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

gokarter wrote:Wondering what position do you rank the mcl34 in terms of chassis performance?
It’s very track dependent... The chassis seems to be very good in high speed circuits like Austria for example and doesn’t like the slow corners at all... It was interesting that during the race, both Mclaren’s were consistently faster than the rest of midfield in Sector 2, while they were losing a couple of tenths on Sector 1.

The team also run a higher downforce setup than they wanted to ensure they had enough traction out of the slow corners, which created a problem on the straights due to a draggier configuration.

So far they are 4th-5th in terms of Chassis which will change depending on the track and probably also track temperature (the MCL34 seems to like high temperatures and not love low temps).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gokarter
gokarter

i reckon mclaren will be best of the rest in germany. its a circuit normally dry and hot. and has 2 fast corners that will help mclaren over renault. renault struggled high braking zone and germany has got them. this is how i see in the top 10. 2 mclaren 1 alfa and a toro rosso in the top 10 qualy result.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

gokarter wrote:i reckon mclaren will be best of the rest in germany. its a circuit normally dry and hot. and has 2 fast corners that will help mclaren over renault. renault struggled high braking zone and germany has got them. this is how i see in the top 10. 2 mclaren 1 alfa and a toro rosso in the top 10 qualy result.
It will be interesting to see if Mclaren has anything on the pipeline to address the low speed traction they are suffering from... I’m guessing the new floor was targeting this area.

The car seems to be fairly efficient and gentle on the tires, this has a big benefit on this high speed circuits and not suffering from overheating the tires, but when temperatures are below certain threshold they are forced to run more downforce to generate heat.

In any case, the car seems to be very consistent... The high speed corners helped them in Britain since they managed to create a gap big enough through the complex before Hangar straight to prevent RIC from overtaking Lando first and Carlos later in the race.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jackles-UK

charliesmithhd wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 18:14
gokarter wrote:
McLaren surely have the fourth best chassis, the respective points tallies should act to confirm this if nothing else. Chassis performance is more than just a peak downforce number (where Renault might well be higher) but also drag levels, tyre wear susceptibility, drivability, response to set up changes and so on.

Renault and McLaren use exactly the same engines but Renault are a fair way behind on points, how it can be argued that they therefore have a better chassis I’m not quite sure? Haas meanwhile have been absolutely nowhere for most of the season, particularly on a Sunday, despite running the best engine on the grid right now - again, I don’t see how it could be assumed that they have a better chassis than the McLaren?

makecry
makecry

charliesmithhd wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 18:14
gokarter wrote:
Did you even watch Austria? Sainz overtook all midfield cars starting from back.

CLKGTR
CLKGTR

Based on the recent form, I expect Renault to lead the midfield battle, followed closely by McLaren. At Silverstone it was tight between them and the track suited McLaren better with more high speed corners.

Hockenheim has more slow speed stuff so I give small advantage to Renault R.S.19 which worked well at Silverstone after ditching some of their French GP updates which weren't working as expected.

Ricciardo said that combination of MCL34 and R.S.19 would be a 'pretty decent car' because one is stronger in slow corners and other in high speed corners and he expects that Renault should be pretty strong in Hungary. But the relative performance between them is constantly oscilating due to new updates, different set-ups and how much performance they are extracting from the tyres on particular track or in particular conditions.

Xero

The only advantage Renault has over McLaren at the moment is in the slow speed corners. For mid and high speed McLaren is ahead. As an overall package McLaren are far more consistent, so therefore are 4th best right now. The championship standings rarely lie.

McLaren have to be wary about switching to the 2020 car too soon though, as Renault are more than capable of making a good step forward. Comparably though their deficit is in aero, which is very difficult for any team to improve upon, especially when it's currently inefficient. In the meantime you just know McLaren will solve their mechanical grip issues with James Key there, it's a more obtainable gain.

Haas certainly has great peak performance over a single lap, but that's not all these cars are made to do. They have fundamental issues with their car, and have become dysfunctional with their two drivers butting heads with the team. They are literally in a mess right now and need a massive reset for next year.