McLaren MCL34

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
charliesmithhd

Re: McLaren MCL34

KingHamilton01 wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 21:51
I am very curious to see which parts of the car they want to push the most for Aus? would it be the front wing and Bargeboard the most obvious places given now they might want to follow a different concept. Narrowing packaging I don't think is an option at the moment unless they have gone to conservative on cooling which I don't think is the case right now.

Been seen in a lot of places that car still has balance issue's, I would imagine at least we will see a new front wing, bargeboard and a new floor in time for Aus but if they haven't got time then 2nd race. Obviously this is my guess as to what they will try and improve upon straight away but pure speculation and nothing confirmed.
T wing as well, maybe they revert back to a larger shark fin like they had last year

PhillipM
PhillipM

I'd think there would have been some chatter if there was narrower packaging in the works, I haven't heard anything, don't know if anyone else has, but that being the case I wouldn't assume any big sidepod upgrades until the European GP if it is something they're looking at.

f1rules
f1rules

If i where to quess, more agressive ramp down, though the current solution seem to work well, so chance not so big even it must bring some gains since both rb and merc have some agressive designs. Maybe some additional fins to the front bargeboard area like others use, outwash fins on the floor edge Maybe, updated mirrors maybe, tweaks to the frontwing, but honestly this car has most features from the others so, just refinement, and then maybe for spain abigger update based on their learnings and the balance problem they keep mentioning

PhillipM
PhillipM

The balance problem is just because they're waiting on the upgrade parts, no point compromising the setup to try to dial it out if you know your new parts will do most of it.

makecry
makecry

PhillipM wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 00:25
The balance problem is just because they're waiting on the upgrade parts, no point compromising the setup to try to dial it out if you know your new parts will do most of it.
Any idea if they are aero parts or mechanical parts?

charliesmithhd

makecry wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 00:54
PhillipM wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 00:25
Any idea if they are aero parts or mechanical parts?
Probably both

godlameroso

New rear wing, new updated floor, and revised engine cover, plus a few bits here and there. The car you saw in testing is going to be a little different come Melbourne. Front wing is working well, diffuser is working well, rear wing probably was a little conservative. Now that they have had a good amount of running they know they can push the rear wing levels without being too slow on the straights.

Some new bits, updated brackets, some pieces under the skin that are better designed or optimized. Perhaps improving the weight distribution.

Bargeboards are hugely complex, and is a double edged sword, because they have to perform so many different functions it's better to be methodical with any changes in that area. It's an area that requires a lot of validation, lots of testing, because it affects flow upstream and downstream, and certain changes can have unintended consequences in either direction.
Saishū kōnā

ollandos
ollandos

vs mcl 33

2018 spain Q

s1 s2 s3
22.048 28.903 26.689 alonso
21.525 28.316 26.159 hamilton (pole)

speed traps
1. 288.8 - 293.9
2. 305.5 - 311.6
3. 287 - 291.1 (294.7 the best)
top speed
313.8----322.5 (326 the best)

2019 test

21.777 28.507 26.529 sainz
21.695 28.221 25.922 all 3 purple ..from vettel and hamilton
speeds
286 303 288
288 307 289

no top speed chart ..but all cars it was on 326-328 km/h i think ..mclaren has 328 one of the best if not the best on week 1 i think

look the sector one and two ..compare ...from last year ...with slower tarmac and more deg this year ...and not full engine mode

mclaren111

GPR -A:

Some comparison on the mid-field teams. There was race sim data available for either Renault or for Haas.

McLaren seems to be very very strong! Looking from lap 37 onwards, they started running in 1m21s, which is serious mid-race pace. No other mid-field team has shown that so far.

While I did not find times for a Renault race sim, looking through various stints from Renault drivers, they seem to be up with McLaren.

Haas seems to be behind these two and then behind are Toro Rosso and Alfa. Needless to say, Williams is the last.

I could not find good representative long run times from RP. So, not sure where they sit.

FMP
FMP

[/quote] look the sector one and two ..compare ...from last year ...with slower tarmac and more deg this year ...and not full engine mode
[/quote]
Where do you get the information slower tarmac and more deg? Pirelli says the tyres should have less deg this year and that the tarmac is a little bit faster.

ollandos
ollandos

FMP wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 11:47
look the sector one and two ..compare ...from last year ...with slower tarmac and more deg this year ...and not full engine mode
[/quote]
Where do you get the information slower tarmac and more deg? Pirelli says the tyres should have less deg this year and that the tarmac is a little bit faster.
[/quote]

maybe pirelli say that last year .....for last year is correct ...for this year the tires go a little like 2009 tires direction ..and there is no way brand new tarmac to be slower agaist used ...

trinidefender
trinidefender

ollandos wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 13:58
FMP wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 11:47
[/quote]

maybe pirelli say that last year .....for last year is correct ...for this year the tires go a little like 2009 tires direction ..and there is no way brand new tarmac to be slower agaist used ...
[/quote]

Don't make assumptions. As the Tarmac gets rubbered in it actually gets faster.

Here is an article from Pirelli saying that the track is faster than it was last year.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/pire ... s/4340290/

makecry
makecry

mclaren111 wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 10:35
GPR -A:

https://i.screenshot.net/5w95yt7

Some comparison on the mid-field teams. There was race sim data available for either Renault or for Haas.

McLaren seems to be very very strong! Looking from lap 37 onwards, they started running in 1m21s, which is serious mid-race pace. No other mid-field team has shown that so far.

While I did not find times for a Renault race sim, looking through various stints from Renault drivers, they seem to be up with McLaren.

Haas seems to be behind these two and then behind are Toro Rosso and Alfa. Needless to say, Williams is the last.

I could not find good representative long run times from RP. So, not sure where they sit.
3 stop. anyone calculated the difference between 3/2 stop?

diffuser

makecry wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 23:57
mclaren111 wrote:
GPR -A:

Not sure what you're asking.... The difference between a 2 stop and a 3 stop is 1 stop ...

The 3 stop car has to make up the 20-25 seconds it looses in that pit stop with more speed on the fresh tires.

Spain has 66 laps.
2 stops = 3 sets of tires 66/3=22 laps. Laps per stint might look like 17, 22, 27

3 stops = 4 sets of tires 66/4=~16 laps Laps per stint might look like 10,16,16, 22

I haven't factored in a harder compound in that.

Big Tea

diffuser wrote:
03 Mar 2019, 16:49
makecry wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 23:57
mclaren111 wrote:
GPR -A:

Not sure what you're asking.... The difference between a 2 stop and a 3 stop is 1 stop ...

The 3 stop car has to make up the 20-25 seconds it looses in that pit stop with more speed on the fresh tires.

Spain has 66 laps.
2 stops = 3 sets of tires 66/3=22 laps. Laps per stint might look like 17, 22, 27

3 stops = 4 sets of tires 66/4=~16 laps Laps per stint might look like 10,16,16, 22

I haven't factored in a harder compound in that.
You think they will have enough data on the new tyre/car yet?
They put plenty laps in during test, but it was at one track and with cars not up to race spec.

I suspect a flexible plan to swap mid stream, even after free practice gives real world data
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.