McLaren MCL34

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
diffuser

Re: McLaren MCL34

M840TR wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 08:45
diffuser wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 02:53
Got this from the f1 technical on 2019 2 aero write up. You can clearly see what the difference in tire wake with 2018 FW aero vs 2019 1 (plane horizontal strakes) vs 2019 2 (outward angled horizontal strakes).

https://u.cubeupload.com/turbof1/GIF4.gif
I reckon Mcl34 is somewhere in the middle since it produces more outwash than the original model.
MCL34 has outward angled strakes. Maybe more or less than others but outward angles none the less.

M840TR
M840TR

The MGUK of Sainz from Australia will not be able to recover. There Are 2 allowed per season. The engine ICE, H and Turbo could be recovered. McLaren could premiere here new motor by precaution already since another motor affected by fire is under review.
https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 7540336643

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

zoroastar wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 18:22
mwillems wrote: I'm going to bring it back to the shiny new wing once more, just to ask a question from the tech heads. Sorry!
Also, they seem to understand the issue and know they need updated parts, so I think it is more likely to have ruled out those set up changes, possibly. Not definitely, but possibly.

Is it possible that because we have traded outwash over air under and around the car (Lower outboard on wing and larger inner sections versus say the Mercedes or RB solution), we are losing underfloor downforce and gaining drag reduction.... but in such a way that the trade of results is a net slower car? Maybe it is better to take the drag penalty because of a potential stronger benefit of the car being sucked more to the ground, front and back?
It’s way too early to really know the car potential... But for some reason, what Mclaren seem to be trying to do reminds me of Williams in 2014-2015... The Williams in those years bet for a car that was very quick in high speed circuits (very low drag), but wasn’t very quick in the short / low speed circuits... That Williams finished third in the Championship both years.

If what the team wants to do is show progress this season, focusing on the high speed tracks seem to be an smart idea... Not only are there more of those during the season (therefore more opportunities to make points), they are also tracks were passing is easier than in the slow ones (Melbourne, Monaco, Singapore for example) that are beneficial if you have a good grid position, but if you don’t nail qualifying your weekend is most probably ruined... So the fast tracks represent way more opportunities to finish in the points and show progress year on year, which for the shareholders and sponsors is a must this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
in 2014-2015 the williams had a huge advantage in that it had the mercedes pu, which at the time, was way more dominant than it is these days. im not sure that any team can depend on straight line speed alone to guarantee results. im sure that one of mclarens objectives was to not be at the bottom of the speed traps every race but hopefully they have something in the pipeline to make them faster in the corners. at least they wont be sitting ducks on the straights anymore though. i just dont see them blasting past the haas's or the alfas on straights. of course, like you said, good qualifying is key.
The fact remains that the Williams was a car that behave really well on “fast tracks” and was very lacking in “slow tracks”.

I’m not talking about just straight line speed... It’s a mix of straights and fast corners... In the past Mclaren had a car that behaved really well in slow tracks, a relatively short wheel base (on the shorter side of the scale in regards to the field) and high rake... This made them have better pace in slow tracks compared to fast ones... This year they seem to be aiming at performing “better” in fast tracks and that’s what I argue is an smart decision since your point scoring opportunities multiply.

Of course, they want to be good at every aspect in every/most type of corners... But you always have to compromise, especially with a new car design / philosophy and what they seem to be doing this season looks smarter than what they did in the past... Time will tell!

Morteza

Via @AlbertFabrega
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

M840TR
M840TR

Morteza wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 16:48
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D2wN8NbW0AEgyws.jpg
Via @AlbertFabrega
The deflectors are back! Huge upgrade for only the second race.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

McLaren MCL34

Morteza wrote:Image
Via @AlbertFabrega
Updates!!! Not major... But updates nonetheless :)

Vortex generators added in the front part, revision to the ones closest to the chassis, there also seems to be a change to the “boomerang” or foil at the top of the bargeboard and a change to the lower portion too... Seems like a bigger update than I thought.

godlameroso

This is a bigger update than I was expecting, they've made more than the changes highlighted by the two fingers. The transition from the chicken wing to the vertical element of the bargeboard has also changed slightly. Good to see they made the bargeboards more modular this year so they can make changes to this area with less lead time.

The boomerang has also been slightly tweaked, it has a more "bowed" AoA, and appears thinner, but that just may be a camera angle.

The second element on the chicken wing has also been slightly modified.
Last edited by godlameroso on 28 Mar 2019, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

Lucky
Lucky

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

godlameroso wrote:This is a bigger update than I was expecting, they've made more than the changes highlighted by the two fingers. The transition from the chicken wing to the vertical element of the bargeboard has also changed slightly. Good to see they made the bargeboards more modular this year so they can make changes to this area with less lead time.

The boomerang has also been slightly tweaked, it has a more "bowed" AoA, and appears thinner, but that just may be a camera angle.

The second element on the chicken wing has also been slightly modified.
The boomerang is definitely thinner... An additional picture from the top confirmed it

godlameroso

That metal tab behind the T tray extension looks bonded on, doesn't look great, but if it works they should run it. I'm sure they'll have an updated version for China that looks more "well integrated".
Saishū kōnā

PhillipM
PhillipM

At last the front bargeboard pieces and new boomerangs =D>

I thought we were going to see those at Melbourne, wonder what held them back? :cry:
Are they still running the same rear wing or the new one?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

PhillipM wrote:At last the front bargeboard pieces and new boomerangs =D>

I thought we were going to see those at Melbourne, wonder what held them back? :cry:
Are they still running the same rear wing or the new one?
Still looking for pictures of it... The front wings seemed to be the same as in Australia though:

Via AMuS

M840TR
M840TR

This upgrade is absolutely massive given the time-frame. Eager to see how much lap time it recovers.

zoroastar
zoroastar

godlameroso wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 17:30
That metal tab behind the T tray extension looks bonded on, doesn't look great, but if it works they should run it. I'm sure they'll have an updated version for China that looks more "well integrated".
are we sure that its not just the ground? ha it kindof looks like its just lighted concrete underneath the car

_cerber1