2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
godlameroso

Re: 2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

It's very logical what they've done. I see as most teams running something similar. The car is just a series of ducts, and that's how they control the pressures. The regulations don't give you opportunities to create a lot of flow structures.
Saishū kōnā

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

They're trying to feed air in to the front of the underfloor devices. Taking it from under the front wing makes sense, especially if the front wing doesn't need to be run so close to the ground for the balance of the car. They can't hang the front wing so lifting is the other option.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

jjn9128

godlameroso wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 17:24
It's very logical what they've done. I see as most teams running something similar. The car is just a series of ducts, and that's how they control the pressures. The regulations don't give you opportunities to create a lot of flow structures.
Agreed. I think the Haas wing isn't at the bottom of the rule box either - albeit lower than the Aston.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

kared
kared

I'm pretty new here. I have trying to CAD model the 2022 regulations car from scratch using the regulations and I am quite new to the CAD world. I went through the entire regulations, but could not find any value for the XA plane. XB and XC planes are derived from the A-A plane reference. Can someone help me?

jjn9128

kared wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 19:50
I'm pretty new here. I have trying to CAD model the 2022 regulations car from scratch using the regulations and I am quite new to the CAD world. I went through the entire regulations, but could not find any value for the XA plane. XB and XC planes are derived from the A-A plane reference. Can someone help me?
It can be up to 100mm forward of the front axle line.
3.4.3 Front Wheel Position
The plane XF=0 must not be behind XA=100.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

kared
kared

jjn9128 wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 20:47
kared wrote:
Thank you. But how is the maximum length of the car defined then? The maximum wheel base being 3600 mm and the width at Y+/-1000 mm. If the XA is 100mm from the front axle, what is the maximum position the tip of the front wing can reach? I could not find a reference to the maximum length of the car nor the track width.

Stu

kared wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 21:09
jjn9128 wrote:
kared wrote:
Thank you. But how is the maximum length of the car defined then? The maximum wheel base being 3600 mm and the width at Y+/-1000 mm. If the XA is 100mm from the front axle, what is the maximum position the tip of the front wing can reach? I could not find a reference to the maximum length of the car nor the track width.
Y+/-1000mm defines the maximum width.
The wheelbase + the maximum overhangs defines the length.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

jjn9128

kared wrote:
The max wheelbase is 3.6m which defines xF to xR, the main size of the bodywork volumes is defined from these 2 planes. So the maximum position of the nose or FW tip is 1350mm ahead of xF. The maximum distance the rear wing endplate can be behind xR is 680mm.
#aerogandalf

kared
kared

Stu wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 21:19
kared wrote:
jjn9128 wrote:
Y+/-1000mm defines the maximum width.
The wheelbase + the maximum overhangs defines the length.
jjn9128 wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 21:23
kared wrote:
The max wheelbase is 3.6m which defines xF to xR, the main size of the bodywork volumes is defined from these 2 planes. So the maximum position of the nose or FW tip is 1350mm ahead of xF. The maximum distance the rear wing endplate can be behind xR is 680mm.
Thank you so much for clearing my queries.

godlameroso

The leading edge of the rear wing end plate needs one of these

3.10.6 allows this, specifically section g & h.
Saishū kōnā

MIKEY_!

jjn9128 wrote:
06 Feb 2022, 14:17
Like so. I'm not sure it'll be the dominant concept. The Haas seems to be somewhere in-between max and min height.
https://db3pap006files.storage.live.com ... pmode=none
I'm curious as to why you're not sure this will be the dominant concept. Is that just because it's too early to second guess what the teams will do? Or is there a reason you don't think the higher nose will work well under these aero regulations?

PlatinumZealot

People, I think the coanda effect has made a return...

I really can't see any reason for that bulky shelf at the back of the side pod, than as a launch point for feeding hot air from the radiators down to the tyre sauirt area.

How it all could work is like this: The flat chamfered face at the front of the side pod creates an outwash that pulls outward the hot air from the radiators almost steering it towards the stagnation area by the rear wheels. That then dips downward using the coanda effect between the diffuser edge/tyre squirt/brake duct area.

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

jjn9128

PlatinumZealot wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 04:00
People, I think the coanda effect has made a return...

I really can't see any reason for that bulky shelf at the back of the side pod, than as a launch point for feeding hot air from the radiators down to the tyre sauirt area.

How it all could work is like this: The flat chamfered face at the front of the side pod creates an outwash that pulls outward the hot air from the radiators almost steering it towards the stagnation area by the rear wheels. That then dips downward using the coanda effect between the diffuser edge/tyre squirt/brake duct area.

https://cdn-8.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... tail-1.jpg
The reason I can think for it is that the flatter top maximizes the surface area for the cooling louvers. Then I recon they have the exhaust manifold positioned quite high to shrink the undercut rear coke-line. The Haas style short/downswept design also uses the Coanda effect. The Coanda tyre squirt management also relied on the high speed exhaust flow to work.
#aerogandalf

jjn9128

MIKEY_! wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 03:25
jjn9128 wrote:
06 Feb 2022, 14:17
Like so. I'm not sure it'll be the dominant concept. The Haas seems to be somewhere in-between max and min height.
https://db3pap006files.storage.live.com ... pmode=none
I'm curious as to why you're not sure this will be the dominant concept. Is that just because it's too early to second guess what the teams will do? Or is there a reason you don't think the higher nose will work well under these aero regulations?
I think the version I drew was too high which gives away too much downforce - the Aston and Haas designs are somewhere between min and max nose height.
#aerogandalf

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

godlameroso wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 03:12
https://cdn-8.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... tail-1.jpg

The leading edge of the rear wing end plate needs one of these

https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.22248d407e7 ... ImgRaw&r=0

3.10.6 allows this, specifically section g & h.
And how would that improve the rear wing?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.