2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Re: 2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

dans79 wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 15:56
Hoffman900 wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 15:38
JordanMugen wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 06:36

Why not ban them though? Engineers, particularly in Formula One with nearly unlimited resources, seem to like adding more complexity to solve their problems but that is not necessarily desirable. A more rudimentary suspension that is more difficult, or even impossible, to tune perfectly for all situations can only be a good thing: both to make sure the cars are not as nice/predictable (in terms of both aero platform and chassis kinematics) and therefore more challenging to drive, and to make the engineers have to put more effort in.
Why do people equate challening to drive to better racing?

It’s not, the easier to drive the better the racing. The skills don’t go away, they’re just used to battle instead of just holding on. Race cars that are bouncing all over, under steering turning into over steering, etc just looks sloppy.

A Ford Galaxie on bias ply tires at Goodwood looks easier to drive than these cars.

I have a similar point of view. I watch F1, because it is/was the pinacler of motor racing technology If all I wanted to do was see a bunch of close racing in hard to drive cars, I'd got to the local dirt track.
This, and that's exciting because they put 30-35 cars on a track that is 3/8 mile (~.5km) long.

I don't think F1 has been the pinnacle. Endurance racing has, F1 just has better marketing

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Thought it was worth sharing with the Forum… The video is in Spanish (but I believe it has captions)… Probably the best video to understand a bit how the Tunnels work, love the simple “made in the kitchen” approach to the “experiment”… May have to replicate it at home to explain my daughter:

Henri
Henri

f1rules
f1rules

so question, is this legal. Mclaren in the past revealed details on their renders, and although the fw and floor are basic on the newly released renders, the new mirror mount and flowconditioner are updated compared to the launch spec renders, so im expectiong to se this on the car also

Stu

f1rules wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 08:07
so question, is this legal. Mclaren in the past revealed details on their renders, and although the fw and floor are basic on the newly released renders, the new mirror mount and flowconditioner are updated compared to the launch spec renders, so im expectiong to se this on the car also
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FN_pG9PWQAI ... me=900x900
That looks as though it could be the rear jacking point?
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

_cerber1

BigBeansBoy
BigBeansBoy

Really interesting video to see how designers can exploit the legality boxes. If my understanding is correct, the model shown in the video is fairly basic as the elements don't overlap in the y plane, and there's no reason to limit the stays to 5 elements. While it's a small overall surface area to work with, it seems like there will be a lot of development in this area.

Sevach
Sevach

First impressions were good, it seems to have worked as far as being able to follow closer.

JordanMugen

Sevach wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 15:37
First impressions were good, it seems to have worked as far as being able to follow closer.
Agreed, they can race like F2 which I presume was the goal. Well done regulators. =D>

dave kumar

JordanMugen wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 05:08
Sevach wrote:
Agreed, they can race like F2 which I presume was the goal. Well done regulators. =D>
Interesting that the drivers have such mixed views - especially on the power of DRS.
why-f1-drivers-gave-some-differing-views-on-whether-new-rules-made-passing-easier
“Following was definitely easier,” said Fernando Alonso. “We spotted already in the test that it was easier to follow cars... But overtaking is still not as easy as it seems on TV. I think all the overtaking that we saw today was because one car had two seconds’ more pace and newer tyres than others."
Actually, I'm glad overtaking is not easy. The aim was to promote close racing, which is not the same thing. DRS and tyre degradation are the wild cards here, it will be interesting to see how this plays out on other circuits. Did anyone notice how the racing was when DRS was disabled, ie. at the start of the race and after the safety car restart? Hard to tell form the highlights.
Formerly known as senna-toleman

mzso
mzso

dave kumar wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 09:54
Did anyone notice how the racing was when DRS was disabled, ie. at the start of the race and after the safety car restart? Hard to tell form the highlights.
They didn't re-enable it for a number of laps after the Safety Car. The way I remember nothing really was happening. Only an unsuccessfully passing attempt in the back.

mzso
mzso

dave kumar wrote:
Interesting that the drivers have such mixed views - especially on the power of DRS.
why-f1-drivers-gave-some-differing-views-on-whether-new-rules-made-passing-easier
So the tires still suck, what's new?

Well, Magnussen is a really happy man, so he sees everything rose colored.
As for DRS, I wouldn't be surprised if Alpine failed to design it well, and it doesn't result in as much of a drag reduction as for others.

Sevach
Sevach

dave kumar wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 05:08
Sevach wrote:
“Following was definitely easier,” said Fernando Alonso. “We spotted already in the test that it was easier to follow cars... But overtaking is still not as easy as it seems on TV. I think all the overtaking that we saw today was because one car had two seconds’ more pace and newer tyres than others."
Actually, I'm glad overtaking is not easy. The aim was to promote close racing, which is not the same thing. DRS and tyre degradation are the wild cards here, it will be interesting to see how this plays out on other circuits. Did anyone notice how the racing was when DRS was disabled, ie. at the start of the race and after the safety car restart? Hard to tell form the highlights.
Not much action without DRS, pure slipstreaming wasn't enough i would say.
Slipstream+drs i'll wait to judge, Charles tactics of "letting" Max go by might be influencing my perception(btw good battle, and i agree it's about racing each not making overtaking a walk in the park).

We did see Perez making short work of Hamilton on the same strategy and Bottas slicing through the midfield to recover quite well(something he often couldn't do in a Mercedes).

mzso
mzso

Sevach wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 14:08
(btw good battle, and i agree it's about racing each not making overtaking a walk in the park).
We're worlds away from what we saw in F1 in earlier times even with the aid DRS. In the late nineties the driver pushing behind could attack, and if successful could be overtaken back. It wasn't about 1-2 desperate attacks after a tire change.

vorticism

re: Mick Schumacher crash. If porpoising is related to ride height, how does this relate riding raised kerbs? Sudden loss of downforce from lifting the floor off the track.
𓄀