Which One is Fastest?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
henry

Re: Which One is Fastest?

Phil wrote:
31 May 2019, 09:02
Energy conservation is a huge deal in FE. On top of that, most tracks are flat and short. If they were to do a lap around Spa with those rather big altitude changes, my guess is they indeed wouldn't be able to do many laps before, yes, running out of juice.
I don’t think the issue is hills.

The closest Spa users to FE I could find are F3. I think FE would be a little slower. Perhaps 3 mins/lap mostly spent at full power pushing air out of the way. Maybe 25 to 30MJ/lap of which 1.3 MJ would be used on elevation change.

Energy available, including regen, is around 200MJ, potentially 7 to 8 laps worth. Would be less if they use the 250kW boost.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Jolle
Jolle

henry wrote:
31 May 2019, 20:55
Phil wrote:
31 May 2019, 09:02
Energy conservation is a huge deal in FE. On top of that, most tracks are flat and short. If they were to do a lap around Spa with those rather big altitude changes, my guess is they indeed wouldn't be able to do many laps before, yes, running out of juice.

The closest Spa users to FE I could find are F3. I think FE would be a little slower. Perhaps 3 mins/lap mostly spent at full power pushing air out of the way. Maybe 25 to 30MJ/lap of which 1.3 MJ would be used on elevation change.

Energy available, including regen, is around 200MJ, potentially 7 to 8 laps worth. Would be less if they use the 250kW boost.
Don't forget that they have to haul 900kg up the hill, its steeper then you think....

henry

Jolle wrote:
31 May 2019, 21:22
henry wrote:

Don't forget that they have to haul 900kg up the hill, its steeper then you think....
I used 900kg to calculate the potential energy of a 150m elevation change. Steepness makes no difference.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Jolle
Jolle

henry wrote:
31 May 2019, 22:34
Jolle wrote:
31 May 2019, 21:22
henry wrote:

I used 900kg to calculate the potential energy of a 150m elevation change. Steepness makes no difference.
true, I did it once in a road car, had to shift from fourth to third to keep momentum :P