2019 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 12-14

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MtthsMlw

Re: 2019 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 12-14

Juzh wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 21:05
MtthsMlw wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 21:01
No third DRS zone through turn 1 and 2 this year.
Any reason as to why? I thought it was very interesting last year to watch out for anyone daring to take T1 with drs open. Ultimately no one managed to do it (and probably wouldn't be able to this year with wider drs), but it was still a fun extra thing to look out for.
No official reasoning yet.
"It is not known if the crashes last year played a part in the decision to axe the third DRS zone, but an important factor is likely to be fact it made little difference"
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/silv ... e/4491640/

It was fun though.

Juzh

erudite450 wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 21:08
Juzh wrote:
MtthsMlw wrote:
Any reason as to why? I thought it was very interesting last year to watch out for anyone daring to take T1 with drs open. Ultimately no one managed to do it (and probably wouldn't be able to this year with wider drs), but it was still a fun extra thing to look out for.
I thought Verstappen did that in the Redbull?
Sensationalism by jurnalists/comentators. I recorded both runs by both red bulls in Q3 last year where it can be seen they were closing DRS trough T1.
first q3 run. at 24s:
https://streamable.com/9gg0v

second run:
https://streamable.com/ns6bv

Juzh

MtthsMlw wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 21:11
Juzh wrote:
MtthsMlw wrote:
No official reasoning yet.
"It is not known if the crashes last year played a part in the decision to axe the third DRS zone, but an important factor is likely to be fact it made little difference"
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/silv ... e/4491640/

It was fun though.
This sucks imo. They could at least keep the DRS up to T1, at least then people would have to be alert before throwing the car at the apex. Now with all the extra drag, lower straight line speeds, new tarmac and big wing this corner has become a bit of a joke. It'll probably be flat even with full tanks on lap 2.

Maybe it'll be so easy flat drivers will be able to floor it even in dirty air, effectively exteding the straight and allowing for better racing, but that's the only upside I can see.

erudite450
erudite450

Juzh wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 21:14
erudite450 wrote:
Juzh wrote:

Sensationalism by jurnalists/comentators. I recorded both runs by both red bulls in Q3 last year where it can be seen they were closing DRS trough T1.
first q3 run. at 24s:

second run:
That makes sense. Thanks mate

dans79

197 104 103 7

yelistener

henry wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 17:52
Xwang wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 17:38
If the driver is not requesting full power, the control system must deliver the amount of power requested by the driver, and the energy management system can only decide how to split it between the ICE and the MGU-K. Conversely, if the driver is requesting maximum power, the regulations allow the energy management system to decide the amount of propulsive power to provide and the split between the actuators.
So when the pilot uses full throttle, is it the system that decides how much power to deliver?
It seems a possible backdoor for a legal antispin system. Do you agree?
Yes and no. The driver only asks for full power when they cease to be traction limited. However, in the grey area of transition from traction limited to not perhaps there’s an opportunity.

I think this is the case when they turn in to a flat out corner as the rear tyres transition from linear to linear plus lateral traction. But it’s only a hypothesis.

I watched last year’s pole lap for any steering wheel setting changes but I didn’t see any, just bbal. It will give me something to watch for this year.
Does the driver even change the PU delivery setting manually during one qualifying lap? I can only remember setting changes brake-related or differential-related.

Pyrone89

erudite450 wrote:
Juzh wrote:
MtthsMlw wrote:
He did in free practice. The other drivers in the Thursday press already jokingly saw it coming and said: Max will probably try it first and if he manages it others will try.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

waynes
waynes

waynes wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 13:03
new GP deal for Silverstone to be announced this weekend? I wouldnt be entirely surprised :)
crikey

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/48933290
The future of the British Grand Prix has been secured for the next five years with a new agreement between Formula 1 and Silverstone.
=D>

Sieper

Cool, another major & historical venue (and great circuit) retained.

amr
amr

What is your prediction for the qualifying? I personally think that it will be a closer battle between Merc and Ferrari than in Barcelona. The reason for this is the layout. The slowest two corners are at the beginning of the track where usually Ferrari can arrive with good temp in the tyres following the out-lap, so the deficit to the Mercedes will not be that big in this slow corners. There are some slow corners towards the end of the lap but I think that having some high-speed corners before them, it will help Ferrari to keep some temperature in the tyre core. Compared to Barcelona, where the slowest corners were in the last sector and Ferrari's tyres were already out of the ideal temp window when they reach them, I feel that this weekend having the worst of it at the beginning should help to close the gap a bit. It is hard to read Redbull though. What do you think?

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

So happy about Silverstone staying on the calendar. They need to bring India and Turkey back and get rid of Monaco and Paul Ricard.

Anyway, I feel Hamilton on pole and Mercedes back to their usual sterling performances. I just hope it's not a boring processional race. The removal of the DRS is a bummer.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I hope Hamilton gets pole and wins. Realistically, he's in the favourable position that he can afford to be second or third for a several races with others winning and still be leading the championship in several races time. I think that will possibly temper him in the race - finishing with good points is now the order of the day, not going for wins at all costs.

Having said all of that, I think Ferrari will be in front. They seem to be very strong in fast corners and we know they're good in a straight line. I can see Vettel on pole and winning, although young Leclerc might put a spanner in the works with one of those. He'll be fired up after Austria and desperate (too desperate?) for that maiden win.

I'm guessing:
1. Vettel
2. Hamilton
3. Verstappen/Leclerc/Bottas (in that order of likelihood as I think Max might sneak this one)

McLaren for a good solid points finish behind the above guys.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

zibby43
zibby43

Just_a_fan wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 19:44
Having said all of that, I think Ferrari will be in front. They seem to be very strong in fast corners and we know they're good in a straight line. I can see Vettel on pole and winning, although young Leclerc might put a spanner in the works with one of those. He'll be fired up after Austria and desperate (too desperate?) for that maiden win.
It's interesting that despite the different layouts, Paul Ricard required drivers to be at full throttle for about 58% of the lap, whereas at Silverstone, it's 60%. Thought the number for Silverstone would have been substantially higher.

I see some similarities between Paul Ricard and Silverstone, in that both have lots of medium and high-speed corners. Silverstone's slow corners (T3 - T4 complex) are mostly at the beginning of the lap in S1, with the exception of a long corner in S2 at T7.

The new track surface will be an interesting variable. I'm curious as to whether the Ferrari PU's energy deployment advantage will not be as strong here, given the flowing nature of the circuit.

mkay
mkay

amr wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 17:28
What is your prediction for the qualifying? I personally think that it will be a closer battle between Merc and Ferrari than in Barcelona. The reason for this is the layout. The slowest two corners are at the beginning of the track where usually Ferrari can arrive with good temp in the tyres following the out-lap, so the deficit to the Mercedes will not be that big in this slow corners. There are some slow corners towards the end of the lap but I think that having some high-speed corners before them, it will help Ferrari to keep some temperature in the tyre core. Compared to Barcelona, where the slowest corners were in the last sector and Ferrari's tyres were already out of the ideal temp window when they reach them, I feel that this weekend having the worst of it at the beginning should help to close the gap a bit. It is hard to read Redbull though. What do you think?
Stowe will put a lot of energy into the tyres increasing temps. I reckon Ferrari will struggle into Club compared to Merc.

See Lewis’ lap overview that was just posted by FOM on Youtube.

Ferrari’s issue isn’t so much tyre warmup, it’s about keeping the tyres in the optimum range, eg., Ferrari’s tyres were overheating at the end of the Barcelona lap.