Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
alexx_88
alexx_88

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Just_a_fan wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 10:12
alexx_88 wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 08:57
If Vettel goes into what's essentially Hamilton's Mercedes team, that will be the end of what's left of his 4x WDC image.
Or he'll cement his reputation as 5 times WDC and ruin Hamilton's reputation. Both outcomes are possible.
Let's be realistic. He was outpaced by both Ricciardo and Leclerc in their rookie years within the team. His chances of beating Hamilton in his team are virtually zero.

But I also think the big news is Vettel retiring from F1 or maybe taking up some management role in one of the teams/FIA.

Big Tea

alexx_88 wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 13:55
Just_a_fan wrote:
alexx_88 wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 08:57
If Vettel goes into what's essentially Hamilton's Mercedes team, that will be the end of what's left of his 4x WDC image.
Or he'll cement his reputation as 5 times WDC and ruin Hamilton's reputation. Both outcomes are possible.
Let's be realistic. He was outpaced by both Ricciardo and Leclerc in their rookie years within the team. His chances of beating Hamilton in his team are virtually zero.

But I also think the big news is Vettel retiring from F1 or maybe taking up some management role in one of the teams/FIA.
I wonder if he is considering this 'triple crown' title?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Jolle
Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 14:02
alexx_88 wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 13:55
Just_a_fan wrote:

I wonder if he is considering this 'triple crown' title?
Nah.. if he retires, he will do the same thing as he did in the corona break... bit of tinkering on his mopeds and being a dad.

wesley123
wesley123

Sawtooth-spike wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 20:37
They had Jack Atkin? So they did have a young drivers programme. All you need to do is look at GP2 and see the amount of talent missing chances, because of things like this.
Indeed, there is enough talent around these days.
Alonso for all his talent, is not the man to build your team around. His track record speaks for itself.
It is more of an "We don't really know what we are actually doing, but if we hire an retired F1 driver who won two titles 15 years ago in vastly different cars, things will surely turn out fine!" choice.
Right now, they could have Probably either of the AT drivers, Hulk, Vettel, they could maybe get Cico and they could look at Vandoone i dont think Mclaren really offered him a situation to shine.
Agreed. Even on the grid itself, or even FE there is so much young talent around on which you can build.
Alonso is 39 and wont of raced an f1 car for 2 years. This screams desperation from Renault, they need the big name. But given how the Honda relationship broke down, i can see this going the same route.
It probably will be. The team itself won't really change, so the same incompetence will still be around.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

FrukostScones

Jolle wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 13:42
So. Alonso is official.
Oficial.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Juzh

Love it, even if just for the drama alonso will inevitably create.

Zynerji

Completely unnecessary. Putting Hulk back in and putting Fernando s salary into the development budget would have yielded less drama, and better results. 🙄

Sadly, I think even reaching for Sirotkin would have been a much better choice.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

OMGOMG

Alonso back!!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
@Renault!!!

2021 is gonna be LIT

100% Guaranteed to have the Spanish GP on the 2021 calendar now 8) 8)

Imma see the Zandvoort GP, with some luck Verstappen will win,
then at the end of May i'll be migrating to my house in Spain,
Which should be just in time to then catch a flight to Barcelona and see Fernando in the Renault,
and Sainz in the Ferrari, and hopefully one of either grab the win there :P :P

About time for some good news after this horrendeous 2020 start!

Imma be dangerously pissed off if we are hit with another pandemic, with the 2021 grid shaping up,
it'll be immensely cruel if it gets called off !

So let me get this straight, the way it shapes up now is:

Mercedes
Hamilton :P
Bottas ?

Ferrari
LeClerc
Sainz :P

RedBull
Verstappen :P
Albon ?

Mclaren
Ricciardo :P
Norris :P

Renault
Alonso :P
Ocon

Albon is still unconfirmed but given how he performed i think it's a given he's gonna stay, dude was doing great!
Bottas is still a question mark, but he started good this season and though i haven't felt so strong about him i do hope he's gonna shine this season. That said, he must, otherwise it's gonna be either Vettel, Perez or Russell to take his seat.

If Vettel is not grabbing the Mercedes seat - which it looks a lot like to be honest - his only refuge will now be Aston Martin which is being suggested here and there. It would be an interesting combination though. If Bottas ends up disappointing again (which i must say, contrary to all my expectations, he is oppositely showing right now) @ Merc, he might find himself at Aston Martin though. Would be particularly interesting with suggestions Toto is heading there, he has a stake there anyway so he'll have much more capacity to 'puppeteer' the right way around there.
I don't think Stroll is going anywhere with Daddy at the head, so I think IF somebody gets replaced, it's gonna be Perez. Right now, that means the seat is open to the following 4 drivers:
Perez/Vettel/Bottas/Russell.

I sincerely hope though that Kimi will still be around in 2021 and will have a car to his disposal to be exciting. I don't think Giovanazzi is gonna keep his seat so that only raises confidence he'll stay.

Would be an amazing 2021 grid, all that's missing now is Mick Schumacher to replace Giovanazzi in 2021 @ Alfa Romeo. Please, let the stars allign.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

PlatinumZealot

Perez is probably stronger than Vettel right now.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

If tomorrow’s bombshell is a 4 driver swap starting at Silverstone, it would make this the craziest season ever:

Sainz to Ferrari
Ricciardo to Mclaren
Alonso to Renault
Vettel to RBR
Albon to STR

Not likely by any means... But... It could happen!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NathanOlder

Whats this Thursday bombshell you speak of?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

FrukostScones

German journo Thursday morning bombshell (bigger than ALO to Renault) revelation.

Codeword: Gardening.

All I can think of is VET retiring or going to RBR immediately both.

Crazy Bombshell: Wolff, Newey, Hamilton to Aston Martin 2021.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

MtthsMlw

My guess is Vettel leaving Ferrari early. Either to RB or nowhere.
Gio replacing him at Ferrari and Kubica to Alfa.
Btw this journalist is the one who first reported that Vettel leaves Ferrari after 2020.

Big Tea

If we are doing guessing games, I go for a new owner for one of the lower 3 teams.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Pyrone89

Manoah2u wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 17:11
OMGOMG

Alonso back!!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
@Renault!!!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/6cOepg5JaCg/hqdefault.jpg

2021 is gonna be LIT

100% Guaranteed to have the Spanish GP on the 2021 calendar now 8) 8)

Imma see the Zandvoort GP, with some luck Verstappen will win,
then at the end of May i'll be migrating to my house in Spain,
Which should be just in time to then catch a flight to Barcelona and see Fernando in the Renault,
and Sainz in the Ferrari, and hopefully one of either grab the win there :P :P

About time for some good news after this horrendeous 2020 start!

Imma be dangerously pissed off if we are hit with another pandemic, with the 2021 grid shaping up,
it'll be immensely cruel if it gets called off !

So let me get this straight, the way it shapes up now is:

Mercedes
Hamilton :P
Bottas ?

Ferrari
LeClerc
Sainz :P

RedBull
Verstappen :P
Albon ?

Mclaren
Ricciardo :P
Norris :P

Renault
Alonso :P
Ocon

Albon is still unconfirmed but given how he performed i think it's a given he's gonna stay, dude was doing great!
Bottas is still a question mark, but he started good this season and though i haven't felt so strong about him i do hope he's gonna shine this season. That said, he must, otherwise it's gonna be either Vettel, Perez or Russell to take his seat.

If Vettel is not grabbing the Mercedes seat - which it looks a lot like to be honest - his only refuge will now be Aston Martin which is being suggested here and there. It would be an interesting combination though. If Bottas ends up disappointing again (which i must say, contrary to all my expectations, he is oppositely showing right now) @ Merc, he might find himself at Aston Martin though. Would be particularly interesting with suggestions Toto is heading there, he has a stake there anyway so he'll have much more capacity to 'puppeteer' the right way around there.
I don't think Stroll is going anywhere with Daddy at the head, so I think IF somebody gets replaced, it's gonna be Perez. Right now, that means the seat is open to the following 4 drivers:
Perez/Vettel/Bottas/Russell.

I sincerely hope though that Kimi will still be around in 2021 and will have a car to his disposal to be exciting. I don't think Giovanazzi is gonna keep his seat so that only raises confidence he'll stay.

Would be an amazing 2021 grid, all that's missing now is Mick Schumacher to replace Giovanazzi in 2021 @ Alfa Romeo. Please, let the stars allign.
Most likely is that Mercedes is going to win both races if things stay like this
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.