Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
holeindalip
holeindalip

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

dans79 wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 00:34
PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 00:24
Why would a great driver like Perez be dumped?
He is at home in the team. Very comfrotable. Brings strong sponsorship. He's one the fastest guys in the race. Why get rid of him?
I could see him trying to get a seat at Red Bull, if Albon is dropped. He's only had one year in a top tier team. Though that year McLaren had just begun to free fall back down the grid.

And in the second half of the season gave button a headache....

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 00:24
Why would a great driver like Perez be dumped?
He is at home in the team. Very comfrotable. Brings strong sponsorship. He's one the fastest guys in the race. Why get rid of him?

Russel is Williams to Mercedes. There is no need for another gap team. Williams just need to get it right.

Bottas now. His only Hope at Mercedes is for Hamilton to retire and hope whoever replaces HAM is slower than Bottas himself. Otherwise... He'll be there just collecting the odd win and a paycheck till the owners get tired of him.
There's still the issue of Mclaren now taking on Mercedes engines.
What I personally believe is that when Sainz was announced, Ricciardo pounced on that seat with good reason.
I am confident that Daniel was aware of the situation, and that he immediately went for it to be 'ahead' of other competitors. I believe there have been hints at the neccesity of that move by some of Toto's remarks on how quickly decisions were made before this season got under away, and quite frankly, i actually believe there's some soreness there.

I think that had Daniel not pounced on that seat, then we would have seen Toto probably make work of getting Russell into a Mclaren seat alongside Norris. Despite the fact that Toto/Mercedes does not have much weight at all compared to the 'weight' they have with Williams for example, Sainz out would mean a driver is needed and Toto would find a way to persuade them to grab a hold of Russell i'd be inclined to think.

Another option would to see Perez back at Mclaren and making space for Russell.
Either way, Daniel saw a Mercedes powered window and went for it, and good for him.

I don't think that if for some freaky reason either Bottas or Hamilton would permanently retire at the end of the 2020 season that they'd wheel in Russell though. He needs time in a 'b tier' car before getting in a 'a tier' car, and he's been in a 'c tier' car at best. That would mean that it's more likely that - had Vettel not departed with Ferrari - Mercedes would have to go with snatching Verstappen. After all, Perez is good, but not good enough. Stroll doesn't even need to be mentioned.

Anyway, the Vettel departure and then sudden move from Sainz to Ferrari and then Daniel to Mclaren abrubtly changed things quite a bit. It also rocketeered Alonso back into F1 for 2021. It's an odd situation any way you put it.

What's left for Vettel?

Mercedes : both seats are still uncontracted, but they're both pretty much 'reserved'.
RedBull : Albon's seat is 'under investigation', so there's a 'clear' spot there.
Haas : Mentioned their interest, but not really believable to happen though.
Aston Martin / Racing point : Potential, but how and who's seat?

The truth is that, if we look at what's available, it's pretty headscratching in every area, for any driver that matter.

Let's start with Aston Martin (Racing Point).
Both seats are 'filled' so logically, if one seats gets replaced, who will have to go?
Whether it's Vettel or Russell that's going to go there, Perez or Stroll has to move.

Perez is the faster one, AND has financial investment there. So not the 'easiest' to get rid of, plus he's experienced.
Stroll is the slow oddball, but the problem is, daddy is the owner of the joint (so to speak). AND then we have the issue of Toto having aquired a stake there AND if i recall he calls Lawrence a 'friend' so pretty obvious that Lance is safe. BUT Perez HAS a contract, and Stroll has NOT (yet).

So that means: Russell or Vettel can end up @ Aston Martin.
But that would ALSO mean: WHERE will Perez then go? Williams? I can't imagine that, but they would do good with his money though. Back to Sauber (Alfa Romeo)? Back to 'Ferrari' ? Haas? That might be interesting though.

Let's just put it on a list now. (Blue is possible, black is open, red is contracted, green is likely to leave, pink move)

Mercedes: Hamilton/Bottas/Vettel/Russell
Ferrari : LeClerc/Sainz
RedBull : Verstappen/Albon/Vettel
Renault : Alonso/Ocon
Mclaren : Norris/Ricciardo
AlfaTauri : Gasly/Kvyat/Albon
AstonMartin: Perez/Stroll/Vettel/Russell
AlfaRomeo: Raikkonen/Giovanazzi/Kubica/Vettel/Schumacher
HAAS: Grosjean/Magnussen/Fittipaldi/Vettel
Williams: Latifi/Russell/Nissany
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

PlatinumZealot

So why do you Perez as a weak seat? Looks strong to me.

Wolff is better served by giving Williams Mercedes parts for 2022. New majority share holder (Latiffi / Nissani?). Sure would command them to follow the RP Haas model.

Cars should be closer in 2022 so Williams might be decent little team for Russel to regularly fight for points and the odd lucky podium till Mercedes Board members need fresh blood.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

alexx_88
alexx_88

Pyrone89 wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 20:53
We get it, you hate the guy. You guys are stooping lower and lower to channel your hate for him.
Please continue on explaining us how Hamilton is god and has won his titles against all odds in rusty barrels. :roll:
I genuinely like both Hamilton and Max. This sort of fire can be found in all top drivers to some extent, including Hamilton. But that's exactly why you don't put two of them in the same basket. Especially when the second one doesn't bring much performance (if any) over a reasonably fast and compliant number 2 driver

lh13
lh13

Gerhardsa wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 21:29
Pyrone89 wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 20:53
dans79 wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 20:49

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/throw_on ... f_the_pram

Trying to start a fight after a race, sounds exactly like the first part. It's childish, and exactly why he got the equivalent of community service.

even when sim racing he can barely control himself.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/f1-ne ... mans-race/

Here is an article of some of his less than stellar moments.
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest ... p-16900990
We get it, you hate the guy. You guys are stooping lower and lower to channel your hate for him.
Please continue on explaining us how Hamilton is god and has won his titles against all odds in rusty barrels. :roll:
This is a bit of a joke really. (apart from being way off topic)

Nobody hates Verstappen. You said you cant recall him throwing toys out of the prem, so everyone's just "refreshing" your memory.

As for Lewis Hamilton being a god...again thats just silly. Nobody said that. BUT...come on dont kid yourself man.

Hamilton, apart from being an exceptional talent like we might not see for a long time) owning everyone else on the grid for the last couple of years, has made superb decisions during his whole career. When we switched teams (like Schumacher did), he surrounded himself with exceptional people and team members all working towards the same focused goal, which puts him exactly where he should be (and is) now, on top of any other driver with just about all the records that ever existed in his pocket. The best for probably the last 14 years? Without a shadow of a doubt..I dont think anyone can argue with that (apart from maybe you.)

Okay, this all has nothing to do with the topic of the thread, so I guess the mods can rip the mudslinging
LOL
Perhaps you don't, so please only talk for yourself here.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 18:57
selvam_e2002 wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 12:24
Hi All,

Is there any chance Alonso can Join Ferrari 2020 to stop Hamilton. I don't see any other driver in F1 can stop him.

Max -> Short Temper no maturity earning lot of enemies in F1 recently Ferrari
Ricciardo -> good driver but he does not have "that" extra thing to win F1 Championship.
Lecrec -> similar to max but he will to spoke much openly. Need to mold

Who else can stop Hamilton in Mercedes. I think only Alonso. I am still hopping he can join Ferrari in 2020 if Vettel retired by this year like Rosberg or Move to RB.
Alonso couldn't "stop" or top Hamilton in 2007, what makes you think he could in 2020. And if the 2020 Ferrari is vastly superior to the field LEC is capable of getting the job done as long as Vettel doesn't crash into him too often.

Alonso is done in F1, good luck to him in the "Dakar".
As I said, Alonso is back with Renault. so, whoever put negative comment for my post can they revoke it? Whenever I said he will back to f1, I got negative point, so what happens now he is back right? so, please don't put negative rating if you don't like post. It is a forum for sharing everyone's thought and opinion.

Big Tea

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 03:00
So why do you Perez as a weak seat? Looks strong to me.

Wolff is better served by giving Williams Mercedes parts for 2022. New majority share holder (Latiffi / Nissani?). Sure would command them to follow the RP Haas model.

Cars should be closer in 2022 so Williams might be decent little team for Russel to regularly fight for points and the odd lucky podium till Mercedes Board members need fresh blood.
I think there is truth in this. If the car is good enough a good driver can win in it. If it is not better than the others it needs someone who has served an apprenticeship scrapping and racing with an eye to finishing, not 'death or glory'.
the higher up the field Russel is placed, the less cars he has to fight past during his apprenticeship.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

MtthsMlw

So German media (BILD) is reporting that a move from Vettel to RP (Aston Martin in 2021) is almost done.

They had to fire Perez (contract till 2022) though.

El Scorchio

That would be a real shame for Perez.

NathanOlder

RedBull should do the sensible thing and sign Perez if this is true. He is perfect for what they need
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

alexx_88
alexx_88

It seems like a lot of these rumours, especially those coming from less known sources or tabloid (like BILD) are more aimed at pushing the thing they write about to happen, rather than describing the truth. Same as the one from last week, about Vettel to Red Bull and which turned out to be (so far) totally bogus.

alexx_88
alexx_88

NathanOlder wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 19:45
RedBull should do the sensible thing and sign Perez if this is true. He is perfect for what they need
He is. But he doesn't have any Thai roots which work really well would Red Bull's main shareholder.

NathanOlder

If these Thai shareholders have that much power over driver selection, Albon will be there for the next decade.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

PlatinumZealot

MtthsMlw wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 18:49
So German media (BILD) is reporting that a move from Vettel to RP (Aston Martin in 2021) is almost done.

Vettel doesmt bring any money so i highly doubt it. Stroll also knows Vettel doesnt play patty cake with his teammates.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

MtthsMlw wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 18:49

How much would it cost them to buy out his contract that far ahead? That's many millions extra in Perez's bank account for not turning up to work.

And then he goes elsewhere and gets paid more to turn up there instead.

The beers are on Sergio! :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.