Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Jolle
Jolle

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

As for Hamilton's alleged salary demands (of which both parties stated that they aren't even up to that point), 44 million (euro's, ponds or dollars) is a lot... but not ludicrous compared to other (M)WC's in the past, in F1 terms, it's what you pay for someone like Hamilton in his prime. Raikkonen, Alonso, Vettel and Schumacher all were around or above those figures in their careers.

El Scorchio

Manoah2u wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 12:31
buddy, i don't think you fully understand the point. It's not about replacing hamilton at all. Wolff himself mentioned that there IS the lingering scenario that either of the drivers, whether that be Lewis or Valterri, suddenly decides to quite - like Rosberg did for example. Or that they suddenly jump ship to another team - like Vettel left RBR 'suddenly.

That scenario is what they have in mind and with that in mind they need to negotiate and concider Vettel. They could do such by making sure he's 'under their wings' so that would mean Mercedes/AstonMartin/Williams. That way, if a spot turns up, they can swiftly put him in the car.

Apart from that, there is still the question whether they will continue with Bottas. Hamilton is not even a question, that is all up to him whether he stays or goes. Bottas is doing pretty good, let that be clear. But will Bottas stay if he plays second fiddle again and realizes he's never gonna get a WDC under his belt with Lewis there? In Bottas case, it's the question whether Bottas wants to stay, AND if Mercedes wants him to stay.

So there is zero talk about Hamilton being replaced by Vettel, that is not even up for debate, that doesnt happen (UNLESS Hamilton calls it quits) It's about what to do with the second seat.
I can't see Bottas wanting to move anywhere else if he has any title aspirations whatsoever. Sure, he likely won't win against Hamilton over a full season unless there's a reliability imbalance (like 2016) but while he's in that seat all is possible for him. If he wants a car which can compete, he then has to deal with either Leclerc or Verstappen as a team mate AND Hamilton, but where he is he has slightly better circumstances in the most complete car. His best chance is staying put until Hamilton retires if he can, and then giving it his all against the new driver (presumably Russell) in their first season, when his opportunity is greatest.

I also can't see Mercedes dumping him in the foreseeable future as he's a very reliable pair of hands capable of winning races on the assumption Hamilton is not ahead of him or has DNF, and he seems a great team player. (I do not mean designated number 2 driver, as clearly evidence in races has shown he is not that.) Level headed enough not to do anything stupid and crash into his team mate either- the respect the Mercedes drivers show each other in wheel to wheel is noticeable compared to most others. Why rock the boat when it's not necessary, and what you have already is bringing home the WCC and WDC titles? Also, let's be honest here, Bottas would probably take a pay cut if he had to in order to stay in the car!

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

I'll repeat what I said before: Does Bottas want to stay if he knows he won't get a WDC shot with Mercedes? He has been in this situation for quite some time now and no matter how much Merc is calling him 2.0 and 3.0, the end result is they're still putting the eggs in Hamilton's basket. This season especially if they want to make Hamilton an 8 time WDC. The problem is that Hamilton is gonna stay, and Hamilton simply is better than Bottas. ONLY if the team hugely favours Bottas and Hamilton gets a bunch of DNF, then Bottas has a chance on the title.
He must know this full well, and it's just a matter of time before he's gonna have had enough of it.

Will he stay just because it's the best seat? Well in a fashion sure he's able to win with Merc, so that's always good. No other team will grant him that opportunity. And let's face it, IF he could have a shot at another team, WHY would they hire him over the likes of Verstappen, Vettel, Alonso for that matter, who are all better drivers?
Bottas is a Barrichello. That's what he is and that's why he's in the seat.

When i say Bottas gets fed up with it himself - meaning, it's not Mercedes that replaces him, but he himself who will leave - then I think Bottas is gonna leave F1 alltogether.
After all, if he can't (ever) get a WDC in F1, but he can get in other 'top class' racing series, then why stay? I think the satisfaction of winning LeMans, or becoming WDC with the WEC,
is hugely more satisfying than spending your entire F1 career as a nr2 lap dog for Mercedes with the occasional win and pat on the back with a lot of money thrown to your bank account.
I'm also quite sure that Bottas can already retire from what he's made in F1 comfortably, and i don't see him as somebody who decides a seat over what he gets paid.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

NathanOlder

I can see into the future.

"Russell wins 3rd title as Bottas 8.0 prepares for title fight next season"
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Phil

Manoah2u wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 12:31
buddy, i don't think you fully understand the point. It's not about replacing hamilton at all.

But will Bottas stay if he plays second fiddle again and realizes he's never gonna get a WDC under his belt with Lewis there? In Bottas case, it's the question whether Bottas wants to stay, AND if Mercedes wants him to stay.
Oh i understand quite fine, thank you. It seems though, that Bottas seat is already secured. So that puts your line of thinking to rest.

As for the psychology of being a WDC - there are 20 drivers. Over the past 10 years there have been what, 50 different drivers? Within the last 10 years, we’ve had 3 different champions. Vettel, Rosberg and Hamilton. A reality check suggests that for the very vast majority of F1 drivers, a WDC is very very unlikely. If you go back in time, the chances to be a WDC is not any higher. For most, i would think that being able to be within F1 for multiple seasons and turn a profit (while doing something you love and at the top at the most prestigious series of motorsport) to be far more than most could ever dream of.

Sure, who doesnt want to be a WDC? I’m sure Bottas would love to be. But he is probably aware that his chances to become one is far higher at Mercedes than anywhere else. Why? Because Mercedes has the car to do it as well as equal opportunity treatment. Where else would he go? Who would want him? Would he get the same status? Unlikely.

Just look at Ricciardo for a great example, or heck Alonso. Left a race winning team for what? Some years at Rebault and then some at McLaren at the back.

What good is that doing for Riccardo career wise? By the time a “wdc winning seat” will become available, it’ll go to one of the younger generation stars.

The dream to become a WDC is overrated for most drivers. The dream for most would be to drive for any of the big teams that have such a seat. Other than that, for most it’s great to simple be at F1 and remain there long enough to go up the ladder.

For Bottas, he’s in the best place possible. A team with a great environment, great leader, equality status and a team mate who’s perhaps the best of a generation. His stock can only go up. If he fails against Hamilton, so what? If he beats him - great for his image. It’s essentially win/win.

And going to a team as the “leader” aint easy. If you fail, well, that can end your career quicker than not performing alongside a 6 times WDC. Just ask Vettel after one year alongside Leclerc. IMHO he was fortunate enough to get that Ferrari seat after Riccardo came and out performed him. The circumstances were right however in a year with new regs and lots of mechanical issues.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

El Scorchio

Manoah2u wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 13:04
I'll repeat what I said before: Does Bottas want to stay if he knows he won't get a WDC shot with Mercedes? He has been in this situation for quite some time now and no matter how much Merc is calling him 2.0 and 3.0, the end result is they're still putting the eggs in Hamilton's basket. This season especially if they want to make Hamilton an 8 time WDC. The problem is that Hamilton is gonna stay, and Hamilton simply is better than Bottas. ONLY if the team hugely favours Bottas and Hamilton gets a bunch of DNF, then Bottas has a chance on the title.
He must know this full well, and it's just a matter of time before he's gonna have had enough of it.

Will he stay just because it's the best seat? Well in a fashion sure he's able to win with Merc, so that's always good. No other team will grant him that opportunity. And let's face it, IF he could have a shot at another team, WHY would they hire him over the likes of Verstappen, Vettel, Alonso for that matter, who are all better drivers?
Bottas is a Barrichello. That's what he is and that's why he's in the seat.

When i say Bottas gets fed up with it himself - meaning, it's not Mercedes that replaces him, but he himself who will leave - then I think Bottas is gonna leave F1 alltogether.
After all, if he can't (ever) get a WDC in F1, but he can get in other 'top class' racing series, then why stay? I think the satisfaction of winning LeMans, or becoming WDC with the WEC,
is hugely more satisfying than spending your entire F1 career as a nr2 lap dog for Mercedes with the occasional win and pat on the back with a lot of money thrown to your bank account.
I'm also quite sure that Bottas can already retire from what he's made in F1 comfortably, and i don't see him as somebody who decides a seat over what he gets paid.
I say yes, because if he wants to be WDC at Mercedes he 'only' has to beat Hamilton in the same machinery. If he goes to RB or Ferrari he has to beat Hamilton in arguably inferior machinery AND he has to beat one of Leclerc or Verstappen in the same machinery. His task gets that much harder.

All things being equal, he won't beat a better driver in the same car over the course of the season, but he WILL get the equal opportunity to fight for it. And that's where he will back his own talent, as any driver should. If he were a number 2 driver contractually, the team would have engineered a way to get Hamilton past him in Austria. They did not.

Easily Bottas best chance is to stick at Mercedes until Hamilton retires. He's almost five years younger. He will get his shot alongside a newer driver in a few years time. Unless Mercedes lose performance, he's be insane to move.

PlatinumZealot

NathanOlder wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 13:20

BOTTAS X U-l-T-i-m-a-t-E GTR, Blitz version

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

MtthsMlw

:P

Last edited by MtthsMlw on 15 Jul 2020, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.

Andres125sx

Phil wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 13:32
Just look at Ricciardo for a great example, or heck Alonso. Left a race winning team for what?
For their own mental sanity after a season of obvious bias towards their teammates :wink:

But I don´t think Bottas is in a similar scenario

JordanMugen

El Scorchio wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 12:55
Why rock the boat when it's not necessary, and what you have already is bringing home the WCC and WDC titles?
Because Russell is too good to languish at Williams. McLaren didn't stick with trusty Montoya as Alonso's teammate, did they? The idea there is one rule for one dominant GP2 champion, and another rule for another dominant F2 champion is purely absurd, isn't it?

Manoah2u wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 01:58
I don't think that if for some freaky reason either Bottas or Hamilton would permanently retire at the end of the 2020 season that they'd wheel in Russell though. He needs time in a 'b tier' car before getting in a 'a tier' car, and he's been in a 'c tier' car at best.
This is utterly untrue. Russell dominated F2 in a similar manner to Hamilton, yet Hamilton was not required to waste his time driving for 3-4 seasons in c-tier and b-tier teams.

Andres125sx wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 11:29
What fundamental changes did Honda do to their PU when they switched from McLaren to RBR?
A larger air intake which increased horsepower immediately, McLaren prohibited the larger size whereas Toro Rosso accommodated it.

Phil wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 12:21
After that wet qualifying session last weekend though - would you really want anyone else in that seat then possibly the very best driver?
Alonso was also on the market until very recently. :wink:

A Hamilton vs Alonso rematch would be great for the sport, yet Mercedes refuse time and time again to engage the series of the Spanish veteran racer. Such a shame. So Russell is the best chance fans have of a true WDC battle. =D>

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

In Mercedes eyes - whether they're right or not - Alonso is 'persona non grata' because of the spygate scandal. I think that any team that is Mercedes-powered will not have Alonso.
Ferrari's been done. As for Honda, Alonso is 'persona non grata' there aswell, so Renault is the only option left.

It's too bad Alonso was so vocal about Honda's engine @ Mclaren. He was right, to be honest. And he is a very outspoken person. If anything, i think you could accuse Fernando of being 'tactless', but by no means malovalent. Unfortunately, Honda holds a grudge, so he can't get to a team with Honda. That means he won't replace Albon either. Imagine that RBR wanted Alonso. Won't happen.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Jolle
Jolle

NathanOlder wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 13:20

Well... Massa went trough Schumacher, Raikkonen and Alonso and even himself had a brief chance for a season. Or Barichello he sat besides two world champions. Irvine at least jumped ship to a good payday.

Now I'm typing this, I'm reminded by Pedrosa, all of his teammates but one in MotoGP became world champion. Some have it, some don't

Zynerji

alexx_88 wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 11:24
FrukostScones wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 09:56
LOL, VET having the last laugh.
I wouldn't call getting kicked out of Ferrari into a midfield team "the last laugh" :)
In case you haven't seen 2020 yet, Ferrari IS a midfield team...

Jolle
Jolle

Zynerji wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 23:15
alexx_88 wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 11:24
FrukostScones wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 09:56
LOL, VET having the last laugh.
I wouldn't call getting kicked out of Ferrari into a midfield team "the last laugh" :)
In case you haven't seen 2020 yet, Ferrari IS a midfield team now...
the midfield is so full these days, they have to be stacked.

NathanOlder

Anyone know the value of Sergio Perez's sponsors ? How much do they bring to Racing Point ? If Aston Martin have to pay off Sergio ( I read 11million) And then lose Perez Sponsors, and then pay Seb a decent wage (15-20mill ??) Then it could end up costing them more than what Mercedes will pay Hamilton ?!?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC