Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

JordanMugen wrote:
01 Oct 2020, 09:45
Manoah2u wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 17:48
Meanwhile, it seems ever so clear that Perez will sign with HAAS for 2021, I think he'll be replacing Magnussen.
In that case, should Red Bull Racing pounce on Magnussen given his status as a consistent and well-regarded talent? :)
Lol, good one 😀
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

DChemTech
DChemTech

JordanMugen wrote:
01 Oct 2020, 09:45
Manoah2u wrote:
Meanwhile, it seems ever so clear that Perez will sign with HAAS for 2021, I think he'll be replacing Magnussen.
In that case, should Red Bull Racing pounce on Magnussen given his status as a consistent and well-regarded talent?

nacho wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 20:05
Albon is so far behind Verstappen (for whatever reason) I can't remember when a top team had such a big gap between drivers.
Why didn't RBR just sign Alonso when Alonso was available? That would have almost certainly fixed the problem of the second Red Bull being too far behind Verstappen. An inexplicable oversight by Red Bull Racing - Honda. :wtf: #-o

Alonso still has every possibility to rejoin Button in Honda company man ranks... no door is ever closed. =D>
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CnJR46xVYAAfKEa.jpg
There are plenty of reasons not to sign Alonso.
- He's probably expensive (and they already have an expensive driver).
- He won't settle in as second driver, and is known to give problems in a team with a driver which equals him.
- He seems to bring a lot of negative energy to a team if things are not going well.
- He does not have a good relations with RB's current engine supplier.
- He's old! RB is a team that typically aims at young, future talents, not seeking to regurgitate past champions.

It's a very valid question why RB is so staunch in sticking to drivers from their own program, if obviously none of them is equipped to perform as needed at the moment. I think they should broaden their scope in that sense. But if they do so, Alonso should not be on top of the list. Quite the contrary, I'd rather see he just remained retired and made room for new drivers, or to keep drivers around that still have a substantial future in F1.

koenigzig
koenigzig

Big Tea wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 18:32
Manoah2u wrote:
wickedz50 wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 16:03
Honestly if I was Ferrari/FIAT CEO, I will like to start both of them in F1 2021. Ferrari has good influence on HAAS and ALFA team and in their long term interest they should start developing both these drivers who are highly talented and promising.

As a F1 follower I can only wish, hope for the best.
There were three guys testing btw.

No, Ferrari actually doesn't have 'that' much influence on HAAS,
there's a reason why Giovanazzi is @ Alfa and not at Haas, who has been running with Grosjean and Magnussen 'forever' by now. Meanwhile, it seems ever so clear that Perez will sign with HAAS for 2021, I think he'll be replacing Magnussen. Steiner has been wanting to get rid of Romain for a while but Gene wants to stay loyal, though that offcourse always also has a finite lifespan. He'll surely bring BWT and Carlos Slim money, so that'll do Haas a lot of good.

Again, nothing even remotely indicating Ferrari has even the slightest influence on driver selection.
It's something HAAS themselves actually mentioned, so honestly, i don't have any idea how you made up Ferrari has good influence on Haas.

As for Alfa, yes, that's a whole different story alltogether.

I think it's pretty much guaranteed that Mick is going to race in F1 next season, and it's logical they'll want him alongside an experienced driver, and since Raikkonen is the most experienced and wants a new contract, that's pretty much decided.

Shwartzman isn't some next prodigee (dont get me wrong, Mick isn't showing his father's magic yet either), and though not impossible, i don't see him @ Haas for 2021 UNLESS Alpha Tauri ditches Kvyat in favour of Tsunoda, and the higher-ups will push for a Russian in the field.

Mick needs to keep the hype rolling, the other guys not so much, they can wait, and it's in their interest to wait.
After all, what good would it do them to enter 2021 with the last season of current F1 'design', versus 2022 when the cars will be more of the same, and will bring a bit more similarity to F2 cars than 2021 will. After all, they'll have to adapt to F1 cars and then ditch everything they've learned to start over in 2022.

I would concider it still wise for Mick to wait, but then again, his train needs to keep moving and it's in his interest to 'shine' in 2021 and build the team around himself, so he can work on the 2022 car with the team and demand a 2023 seat @ Ferrari. IF he's any good.

Shwartzman, Iliott and Tsunoda all have different 'career paths' and will be much better off to start in 2022.
After all, if they 'underperform' in 2021, that is weighed out much more than in 2022, as 2022 will be a fresh start for everyone. Also, they might fare better in 2022 style F1 cars anyway, so why risk getting in the deep in 2021 when you can comfortably sign up to be a test driver in F1 in 2021 and race in F2, and then be a race driver in F1 for 2022?

I also seriously doubt Alfa would put in two rookies in the team for 2021, so it's either one or the other, and again, Mick is the most likely to gain a seat. For 2022, despite the fact that experienced drivers have a benefit, Mick will no longer be a 'rookie' per se, and they're probably much more open for getting fe. Shwartzman in.
What is the ruling in F2? is it that they can not race in the series after they win the championship?
Yes. If you win the F2 title you can no longer race in F2, so if Mick wins he will have to get a seat in F1 (which I think is pretty much going to be the Alfa Romeo seat) or find another series to keep racing in (doubtful he ll have to go this route)
PM me if you're interested in joining an F1 2021 or Assetta Corsa Competizione league on Xbox

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Well, just as if 2020 couldn't get any more rediculous,
media is reporting that negotiations with Haas and Perez have come to an immediate halt, since daddy Hazepin has put an offer 'they can't refuse' on the table with Haas,
which would clearly put Nikita Mazepin in a race seat for 2021.

The sad part of this would be that Sergio would end up with his hands empty, in an act not unlike has happened with RP.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Racer X

Manoah2u wrote:
01 Oct 2020, 22:50
media is reporting that negotiations with Haas and Perez have come to an immediate halt, since daddy Hazepin has put an offer 'they can't refuse' on the table with Haas,

The sad part of this would be that Sergio would end up with his hands empty, in an act not unlike has happened with RP.
Im surprised they out fund Sergio if they are offering more money then the sponsorship that follows Perez they must be loaded. Impressive Russian money ive always wondered how is that there are some Russians who are so rich when they are supposed to be a communist society.

Im surprised Carlos Slim does not come out with a lot more money then the Russians since hes richer then anyone in Russia.

Im surprised they dont take the Russian and Mexican money. That to me seems like an ideal situation 2 well funded drivers.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Sevach
Sevach

Manoah2u wrote:

The team has 2 cars, who is lined up for the other seat? Are they keeping Grosjean or Magnussen?

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Racer X wrote:
01 Oct 2020, 23:02
Impressive Russian money ive always wondered how is that there are some Russians who are so rich when they are supposed to be a communist society.
Because when the Soviet Union collapsed, the Russian national assets were essentially given out for free to a few individuals which is why Russia is now effectively an oligarchy.

DChemTech
DChemTech

Racer X wrote:
01 Oct 2020, 23:02
Manoah2u wrote:

Im surprised they out fund Sergio if they are offering more money then the sponsorship that follows Perez they must be loaded. Impressive Russian money ive always wondered how is that there are some Russians who are so rich when they are supposed to be a communist society.

Im surprised Carlos Slim does not come out with a lot more money then the Russians since hes richer then anyone in Russia.

Im surprised they dont take the Russian and Mexican money. That to me seems like an ideal situation 2 well funded drivers.
Russia hasn't been communist for three decades :D. And yeah, as cold fussion says, the transition from communism didn't exactly go fair, and a small group of people (KGB officers and such) ended up with all the assets. Add to that a political system where you can buy your privileges, and there's a recipe for a few very rich, and many rather poor people. Not that it was much different in communist days, though. Practically, communism always quickly degrades from 'for the people' to 'for the people that are member of the party and then especially those very close to the top'. People need hierarchy, it's part of our savannah-evolved instincts. Even with all the potentially nice hypothetical values of communism, reality is that 'power to the people' leaves a leadership-vacuum that will be quickly seized by some savvy autocrat under the guise of 'leading the for the people'.

Now, regarding Mazepin... question is, is he looking to buy a seat, or the team altogether?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

With Honda leaving F1 at the end of 2021, will Max start looking around for a Merc-engined seat? If Red Bull have to go back to Renault, cap in hand, they're unlikely to be winning titles any time soon...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

There is a good chance Max can stay with RB for 2022 then look for somewhere in 2023 based on the RB+Renault. As Christin and Marko throws lot of words against Renault past few years, not sure how the relationship would be.

I am very much interested to See Alonso to RB in 2022 with Newly.

raymondu999

I doubt Alonso would want to go to RB
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

raymondu999 wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 13:56
I doubt Alonso would want to go to RB
OKay. I think Vettel and Max swap space with Austin Martin Stroll team in 2022 as Vettel signed one + one

PlatinumZealot

RedBull will do all they can to keep Max. He has no other top team to go to unless he pays for a seat next to Lewis.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

With Honda gone, there is zero chance for Tsunoda to become an Alpha Tauri driver. Will the they retain Kvyat or put Albon next to Gasly and a professional (Perez?) next to Verstappen?

Or could Haas sign Kvyat as a mentor for Mazenpin? #-o

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

WTF Honda just bails?!!!! i am completely in shock
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"