Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
nzjrs

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Phil wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 22:44
Redbull poaching Russel is interesting - if i were RedBull, i would. The question to consider:

- Russels contract with Williams and possibly exit/penalty clauses ($$$)
- Mercedes rights/claim on Russel as part of the young driver program ($$$)
- Bottas contract ($$$)
- Would Russel rather miss out on a guaranteed drive for 2022 in a Mercedes over drivinhg a year early alongside Max in what could be a 1 driver team?

All seems unlikely to me that Russel has a realistic chance of joining Mercedes 2021 UNLESS for whatever reason, they cant retain Hamilton.

It’s just too quick, too early. And Russels performance, no offence, wasnt spectacular. I’d argue it wasnt even a straight/fair fight to either. And in the end, Bottas isnt the benchmark Mercedes driver. It’s Hamilton.
If I was RB I'd stir the pot enough to poach either Russel or Bottas.

Either would be a good option for RB and it's a spicy pot that I could imaging Horner stirring.

Big Tea

nzjrs wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 23:20
Phil wrote:
Redbull poaching Russel is interesting - if i were RedBull, i would. The question to consider:

- Bottas contract ($$$)
- Would Russel rather miss out on a guaranteed drive for 2022 in a Mercedes over drivinhg a year early alongside Max in what could be a 1 driver team?

All seems unlikely to me that Russel has a realistic chance of joining Mercedes 2021 UNLESS for whatever reason, they cant retain Hamilton.

It’s just too quick, too early. And Russels performance, no offence, wasnt spectacular. I’d argue it wasnt even a straight/fair fight to either. And in the end, Bottas isnt the benchmark Mercedes driver. It’s Hamilton.

Either would be a good option for RB and it's a spicy pot that I could imaging Horner stirring.
If they want a competitive driver without the baggage, there is a perfectly good one without a drive next year who has just won. TBF, he probably won because of Merc's muff up and a puncture, and a slide in the gravel, but he was there to collect when needed.

No drive next year and some money, so will probably end up being a free driver with no contracts to buy out and no bad feeling next time there is a constructor vote.

Edit, They could even do as 'Ted' says and keep him, and Albon on the books so if it does not work out there is nothing lost, and they know it was not Albon's 'fault'
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

notsofast
notsofast

Phil wrote:
It’s just too quick, too early.
Didn't Alonso start in a backmarker, at Minardi? That was only one season. And what about Vettel. Russell has already spent two years in his backmarker car. I think he learned how to respect blue flags by now. What else can he learn at Williams? It's not like his body will last an extra year by staying with the slow team. It's simply one year of his career wasted, not to be gained back.

Big Tea

notsofast wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 23:48
Phil wrote:
It’s just too quick, too early.
Didn't Alonso start in a backmarker, at Minardi? That was only one season. And what about Vettel. Russell has already spent two years in his backmarker car. I think he learned how to respect blue flags by now. What else can he learn at Williams? It's not like his body will last an extra year by staying with the slow team. It's simply one year of his career wasted, not to be gained back.

2018 F2 finished

1 George Russell
2 Lando Norris
3 Alexander Albon

Lando and Alex are at better teams and he was in front of them, if they are ready why not George?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

nzjrs

Big Tea wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 23:45
nzjrs wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 23:20
Phil wrote:

- Bottas contract ($$$)

If they want a competitive driver without the baggage, there is a perfectly good one without a drive next year who has just won. TBF, he probably won because of Merc's muff up and a puncture, and a slide in the gravel, but he was there to collect when needed.

No drive next year and some money, so will probably end up being a free driver with no contracts to buy out and no bad feeling next time there is a constructor vote.

Edit, They could even do as 'Ted' says and keep him, and Albon on the books so if it does not work out there is nothing lost, and they know it was not Albon's 'fault'
Oh sure I would take Perez too, but either of Bottas or Russel would weaken Mercedes in addition to being a good RB, which might be worth something extra.

NathanOlder

Now it usually doesn't bother me, but for some reason this one is already beginning to grind me down. Why do people, a lot of people misspell George's surname? It has 2 ll's

George Russell

not Russel
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

nzjrs

NathanOlder wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 00:38
Now it usually doesn't bother me, but for some reason this one is already beginning to grind me down. Why do people, a lot of people misspell George's surname? It has 2 ll's

George Russell

not Russel
Personally, it was because no one until now had corrected me, so thanks.

PlatinumZealot

Does anyone else realizd that Perez is basically the same level as Daniel Ricciardo? I think I may give him the nod this year too.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Jolle
Jolle

PlatinumZealot wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 01:28
Does anyone else realizd that Perez is basically the same level as Daniel Ricciardo? I think I may give him the nod this year too.
I think most close followers knew that there is little between them. Plus, a team like McLaren was and is no fool to had snatch Perez up in 2012. He and Ricciardo are part of that generation that came right after Vettel/Hamilton, didn’t make a mark right away and were soon overshadowed by the younger guard. Bit of an forgotten generation.

holeindalip
holeindalip

Jolle wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 01:34
PlatinumZealot wrote:
I think most close followers knew that there is little between them. Plus, a team like McLaren was and is no fool to had snatch Perez up in 2012. He and Ricciardo are part of that generation that came right after Vettel/Hamilton, didn’t make a mark right away and were soon overshadowed by the younger guard. Bit of an forgotten generation.
Yeah that kind of happens when one generation comes in and have all the good seats, the rest pick over scraps while the gen before thrive all the benefits, then when old enough and that gen retires given an opportunity. But it seems now all the teams are going for younger drivers, bit of a shame really....

raymondu999

nzjrs wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 00:01
Oh sure I would take Perez too, but either of Bottas or Russel would weaken Mercedes in addition to being a good RB, which might be worth something extra.
Given Bottas’s driving style I doubt he would do welll in the RB
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

notsofast
notsofast

As far as silliness is concerned, we are being outdone by the fellas at Reddit. :D

"Bottas has removed all mercedes references from ig bio"
https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... nces_from/

holeindalip
holeindalip

PlatinumZealot wrote:
I’ve always rated checo highly, ever since he got the mclaren drive and drove the wheels off that thing and then got sacked for being overly aggressive against button, mclaren tanked magnussens career after that also....

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

holeindalip wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 20:34
Moore77 wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 20:19
PlatinumZealot wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 19:42
I dont understand why persons are pushing for George to go to Mercedes in 2021 when he is pretty much guaranteed tobe there in 2022.
Everyone wants to see him go against Hamilton ASAP, challenge him hard and create interesting season for watching which Bottas has failed for four long years. The boring procession of poles and wins for Hamilton for another year is a nauseating. Hamilton might prevail, but it would be atleast fascinating battle to witness.

There’s no direct evidence that he could even compete with Hamilton though, just because he outpaced a badly broken down Bottas, Alonso thought he could walk all over the rookie Hamilton in ‘07 , he beat out jenson, nico and now all of a sudden Russell is the answer. And don’t think I’m downplaying Russell’s ability in any way, he looked great kept his nose clean handled Bottas easily, but everytime Bottas steps up Hamilton reaches farther, you want to see Hamilton be really special put someone who can challenge and push him and he will some how go farther and faster. How many careers has be ended?
Outside of Rosberg electing to retire as a World Champion, probably zero.

An argument could be made for Kovalainen.

Racer X

Are there rumors that George will join Mercedes in 2021? Im sure they will consider him for 2022 either to replace Bottas or replace Hamilton and then Bottas will be an experienced number 2 driver. Business as usual no need to train a new number 2 its perfect its like Ferrari with Barichello/Massa.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ