Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Jambier wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 17:17
Then there is the Ricciardo situation:

- He is not getting younger
- I'm a fan of Renault, but let's be honest, I don't see them close to win a title before years...

So what should he do ?

I'm afraid of binotto management, but I think he can be in good relationship and go along LEC at Ferrari
I think this is a very good choice for both of them actually.
I think Ricciardo has shot his bolt, sadly. I think his move to Renault just as a whole raft of young guns arrived has left him with nowhere to go. If I was Ferrari looking to pair someone with Leclerc, I'd be talking to Russell - champion in F4, GP3 and F2. Quick, keen but polite, young enough to know he has time.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

izzy
izzy

Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 15:49
izzy wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 14:55
They'd worship him
Even the monkey-calling, "f**k you, Hamilton" chanting tifosi? :wink:
okay there are always some, and i suppose the tifosi can be more tribal than most. But some Brit Mansell fans were waving hanging effigies of Senna. Anyway Lewis knows these challenges, and if he was winning for them there'd be a lot of converts

Jolle
Jolle

I believe the supposedly talks between Hamilton/Ferrari are nothing more then a mutual game to have something to discuss with their current contracts. Hamilton has to be able to say to Mercedes, well.... Ferrari offered me this... and Ferrari can say to Vettel, we had some interest from another multiple WC.

But in the end, Ferrari/PM is very happy with their drivers, if Leclerc keeps developing. He will be their main focus and he already has a long term contract. Vettel is giving them the prestige of having a WC in their car. It's more that they need a Massa/Irvine/Barichello kinda driver for the mid term. Gio might fit the bill if he has a good second year, else Wehrlein?

Capharol
Capharol

Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 17:46
Jambier wrote:

- I'm a fan of Renault, but let's be honest, I don't see them close to win a title before years...

So what should he do ?

I'm afraid of binotto management, but I think he can be in good relationship and go along LEC at Ferrari
I think Ricciardo has shot his bolt, sadly. I think his move to Renault just as a whole raft of young guns arrived has left him with nowhere to go. If I was Ferrari looking to pair someone with Leclerc, I'd be talking to Russell - champion in F4, GP3 and F2. Quick, keen but polite, young enough to know he has time.
Russel is a merc driver .... no chance

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Capharol wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 18:43
Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 17:46
Jambier wrote:

So what should he do ?

Russel is a merc driver .... no chance
And so is Hamilton but that doesn't stop people talking about him at Ferrari...

izzy
izzy

lol so Charles crashed today, after Seb span yesterday. Ferrari would be extremely happy with Lewis!!!!

TAG

turbof1 wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 13:22
The thing is, you'll never turn down Ferrari lightly. There's something mystical about racing for the brand, which attracts every driver. That being said, Hamilton will only jump ship if he is convinced he can win a WDC with them.
I think it's a complex issue. I also think that at this point in Lewis' career, it's not just about money. One thing that would cement a legacy is winning championships with three different teams and that may have an allure. But if we're throwing stuff at a wall to see what sticks, I think the allure of going to a McLaren or Williams as a driver owner with Mercedes' full support behind the PU as a works team.

A 7th title has to be his focus now IMO. Regardless of the team he achieves it with.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Wass85
Wass85

Hamilton needs Merc more than they need him. You have to know and he will too that if he leaves he will be replaced with a top tier driver that in all likelihood will comfortably win the title.

Scorpaguy

Wass85 wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 20:54
Hamilton needs Merc more than they need him. You have to know and he will too that if he leaves he will be replaced with a top tier driver that in all likelihood will comfortably win the title.
yep

Big Tea

Wass85 wrote:
Hamilton does not need them at all. He has a seat in the best car of the last decade which looks like continuing the trend. TBF, I think Ferrari have found a long term driver now, but will he get disenchanted with them and offer his services to Merc or RBR? If he does, then there will probably be a hole in Ferrari plans that will take 2 seasons to patch.

They could go for Dan Ric or call Hulk back, but that would still leave them short of a long term prospect.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Wass85
Wass85

Big Tea wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 21:30
Wass85 wrote:
Hamilton does not need them at all. He has a seat in the best car of the last decade which looks like continuing the trend. TBF, I think Ferrari have found a long term driver now, but will he get disenchanted with them and offer his services to Merc or RBR? If he does, then there will probably be a hole in Ferrari plans that will take 2 seasons to patch.

They could go for Dan Ric or call Hulk back, but that would still leave them short of a long term prospect.
So yeah he does need Mercedes then.

Big Tea

Wass85 wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 21:56
Big Tea wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 21:30
Wass85 wrote:

So yeah he does need Mercedes then.
Yes, SoZ mis red it :oops:

NathanOlder

Ferrari just need a nice guy in the seat next to Charles and then they can push on.

Hulk, Ric would be ideal. They need a nice guy with good experience, who will tow the line.

Perez is probably another one. reliable, fast enough and experienced.

Hulk and Perez would jump at the chance to be in the number 2 Ferrari.

Ferrari in my opinion cant put a rookie or someone with only. a year or 2 experience next to Charles.

Kimi would be better for the team next year over Seb.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Big Tea

NathanOlder wrote:
05 Dec 2019, 00:55
Ferrari just need a nice guy in the seat next to Charles and then they can push on.

Hulk, Ric would be ideal. They need a nice guy with good experience, who will tow the line.

Perez is probably another one. reliable, fast enough and experienced.

Hulk and Perez would jump at the chance to be in the number 2 Ferrari.

Ferrari in my opinion cant put a rookie or someone with only. a year or 2 experience next to Charles.

Kimi would be better for the team next year over Seb.
I think along similar lines.
Not picking sides, but one of the two and a 'supporting' team mate. The two drivers are incompatible at the moment.
Had Seb been on top form and making a good case, fair enough, bring in a dog to chase him. But in truth he has not been doing very well of late. If he was under performing with Kimi as a team mate, the very worse option was to challenge him. I know he can be a good driver, but something at Ferrari is not a fit for him. It could be the management or the overall team ethos, but he is not happy, so he is not performing.
Seb seems to need a sort of hero worship from his team to be at his best, and he is not getting it.

As had as it seems, Ferrari need to split them up, and it is not going to be Seb staying. The unfortunate part is that there is only 3 teams in with a shout, and he is not going to get a drive in any of them. (unless he settles as a second to Max, which he will not)

Edit.
A possible solution could be Le Clerc is offered a drive along side Max (unlikley) and Seb becomes head honcho again

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

If Ferrari dump Seb then Seb will just retire, I think. Young family to enjoy growing up, loads of money in the bank to give that family the best of everything. Four titles means he'll always be in demand for a quote, a bit of TV punditry etc., if he gets bored or needs a job.

As Jacques Villeneuve said: "Screw this, it's time to get on with the rest of my life."