Changes To Qualifying

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
henry

Re: Changes To Qualifying

dans79 wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 05:28
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 04:17
This video shows exactly why we should have reversed grid sprint races. Watching the skill of Senna defending from Prost in a better cornering and more powerful Williams is something we should have got to see more often, rather than just watching the Williams pair cruise away. You provided proof against your argument, not for it.
I don't think you understand, I don't care about the show in any way whatsoever. I care about f1 as a sport and as a technical pursuit.
Is it that you consider the clip you posted an example of the sport not working properly? Should the situation have been that Prost should cruise up to Senna, slip by, and cruise on up the road to demonstrate the technical superiority of the Williams/Prost combination?

If that’s the case the objective of the 2021 regulations, not necessarily their realisation, would seem to suit you perfectly.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

dans79 wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 05:28
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 04:17
This video shows exactly why we should have reversed grid sprint races. Watching the skill of Senna defending from Prost in a better cornering and more powerful Williams is something we should have got to see more often, rather than just watching the Williams pair cruise away. You provided proof against your argument, not for it.
I don't think you understand, I don't care about the show in any way whatsoever. I care about f1 as a sport and as a technical pursuit.
As do I, so in what other sport do they give the better team/player a massive head start? Qualifying tests for 1 lap speed, a reverse grid tests for racecraft, use both on Saturday to determine the grid for sunday. It is an improvement on F1 for both the sporting side and on the technical side(teams will be forced to design their cars to be better in traffic). It will also be fantastic to watch, even if you don't care.

dans79

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 13:30
a reverse grid tests for racecraft
I can't agree with this. The quality of the cars very greatly, and thus play a huge part in a drivers perceived race craft. Swap Lewis and Kmag, and people perceptions will change.
197 104 103 7

dans79

Hamilton

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14624 ... ortcomings
"The fact they are trying to reverse grids and all that seems to me like an excuse for not doing a good enough job in the decision process.

"Why are they making the cars heavier? There's no reason, it's not safer, it's not better for racing.

"My points are still the same. I'm still concerned. And I don't think that's going to change from what I've witnessed in the meeting."
197 104 103 7

izzy
izzy

dans79 wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 16:27
I can't agree with this. The quality of the cars very greatly, and thus play a huge part in a drivers perceived race craft. Swap Lewis and Kmag, and people perceptions will change.
why would people's perceptions be different from now? Both drivers are doing qualifying and a race in their good and bad cars respectively. if anything, atm lots of people say "oh Lewis starts at the front and has it easy in the best car"

and anyway we're not trying to manage perceptions are we? we're debating about how to have the best racing to appreciate and what that is exactly

And as to Lewis' opinion, obviously he doesn't wanna start at the back :mrgreen:

dans79

izzy wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 18:31
and anyway we're not trying to manage perceptions are we?
You might not be, but I would say that's all FOM/Liberty and the FIA have cared about for the last decade.
197 104 103 7

izzy
izzy

dans79 wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 18:36
izzy wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 18:31
and anyway we're not trying to manage perceptions are we?
You might not be, but I would say that's all FOM/Liberty and the FIA have cared about for the last decade.
yes but! :) for you and me it's not relevant is it? You don't care about them and nor do I. The issue is the kind of racing we get with qualifying versus a reverse championship 100km race on Saturday to decide the grid

it coincides a bit because Liberty think it might be better entertainment, and i think it would be more entertaining for me and generally the people i watch with. But it's not really the point, other people's perceptions, even if they were different. I would find the weekend more satisfying, as a test of excellence

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

dans79 wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 18:11
Hamilton

"The fact they are trying to reverse grids and all that seems to me like an excuse for not doing a good enough job in the decision process.

"Why are they making the cars heavier? There's no reason, it's not safer, it's not better for racing.

"My points are still the same. I'm still concerned. And I don't think that's going to change from what I've witnessed in the meeting."
Lewis, while being an exceptional driver, is not considered by anyone to be the brightest.

The drivers unanimously came out today and called for closer cars, this is being accomplished by more standard parts, which makes the cars heavier. It's quite simple really. Also, more standard parts is supposed to make the financial differences between teams smaller, something the drivers also called for today.

The cars are heavier now mainly because of higher safety standards, including the halo, necessary because of all time record high speeds.

Lewis is often ill informed, and this is clearly one of those times.

Asked about starting at the back of the grid several times during his career Hamilton has each time stated that he prefers tge fun of it to starting at the front. With a reverse grid sprint race Lewis could start at the back and still have a chance to win. Given this opportunity I believe he could reconsider his position.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

dans79 wrote:
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
Only foolish people's perceptions will change. Clean passing and defending is a far difference from constant crashing and throwing away points.

The best drivers have displayed strong racecraft regardless of the quality of their car.

A reverse wdc position grid sprint race will indeed display who can get through the field rapidly and clean versus the foolish divebombers.

Per your example, go watch Australia 2009 where McLaren had a dog of a car which Hamilton dragged into podium contention with fantastic racecraft. When has Kmag ever done anything similar, even with a better car (relative to the field).

My point stands, a reverse wdc position grid sprint race would test the drivers racecraft.

dans79

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 20:36
dans79 wrote:
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
Only foolish people's perceptions will change.
Sadly, that applies to like 95% of the fan base, and that is exactly who FOM/Liberty and the FIA are pandering to.
197 104 103 7

Big Tea

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 20:27
dans79 wrote:
Hamilton

Lewis, while being an exceptional driver, is not considered by anyone to be the brightest.

The drivers unanimously came out today and called for closer cars, this is being accomplished by more standard parts, which makes the cars heavier. It's quite simple really. Also, more standard parts is supposed to make the financial differences between teams smaller, something the drivers also called for today.

The cars are heavier now mainly because of higher safety standards, including the halo, necessary because of all time record high speeds.

Lewis is often ill informed, and this is clearly one of those times.

Asked about starting at the back of the grid several times during his career Hamilton has each time stated that he prefers tge fun of it to starting at the front. With a reverse grid sprint race Lewis could start at the back and still have a chance to win. Given this opportunity I believe he could reconsider his position.
But he would not then be fighting, he would be passing. Any car outside the top 8 is not going to be a fight it is going to be them allowing him passed while losing the least time themselves. There is also the added probability of him getting involved in someone else's accident and being taken out. Then there is the bloody minded driver who just decides they are not letting anyone passed and the back-up train is stuck mid field as none of the drivers with a championship chance is going to d a kamikaze dive.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

dans79 wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 20:45
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
dans79 wrote:

Sadly, that applies to like 95% of the fan base, and that is exactly who FOM/Liberty and the FIA are pandering to.
No, they are pandering to the majority of the fan base that found most of the first half of this season's races quite boring, that inclues the hard core fan base.

Processions are boring, no matter who is leading them. Lining the cars up in qually order generallyleads to processions.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 21:03
dans79 wrote:
ENGINE TUNER wrote:

No, they are pandering to the majority of the fan base that found most of the first half of this season's races quite boring, that inclues the hard core fan base.
Evidence please.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

jjn9128

dans79 wrote:
Hamilton

Also Hamilton
"I think one of the biggest changes that needs to be made is that at the moment it is the same four days, every weekend, for 21 weekends every single year pretty much," he said.

"I think it needs to be dynamic. It needs to be different for certain circuits so you have a 'super weekend'. There are some tracks where the race is so boring.

"I remember growing up watching [F1] and falling asleep after the start. I am sure there are people who fall asleep after the start and wake up when they set their alarms for the end.

"I used to do it when I was younger, and there were some tracks that kept you on the edge of your seat, like I imagine Baku this year."

"So picking those ones out and saying, how can we make it different for that race? Whether it is reverse grid or whatever we end up doing, they should look into doing that."
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13935 ... 1569533440

Problem with using Hamilton as a source is his opinions rapidly as his hairstyles
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Just_a_fan wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 23:29
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 21:03
dans79 wrote:

Evidence please.
Rate the race on racefans.com