2019 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, Oct 11 - 13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
djos

Re: 2019 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, Oct 11 - 13

Btw, one thing that is being ignored here is that most start straights are not flat, most are very slightly down hill and at least one track I can think of is uphill.

This has to be taken into consideration when determining movement tolerances.
"In downforce we trust"

El Scorchio

djos wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 22:27
Btw, one thing that is being ignored here is that most start straights are not flat, most are very slightly down hill and at least one track I can think of is uphill.

None of that matters if the drivers keep the brakes on until the lights have gone out. Get rid of the tolerances silliness to make it was more simple and straightforward. It can be a very simple sport when not absolutely and unnecessarily confounded by overly complex and ambiguous rules.

TimW
TimW

sosic2121 wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 22:20
TimW wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 22:17
Later in the race he also lost the mirror which could have been dangerous, so if you are strict it was an unsafe release as well #-o
Are you talking about Leclerc's mirror or Hamilton's mirror?
Leclercs mirror. It detached later in the race

nacho
nacho

I'm not satisfied with the penalty Leclerc/Ferrari got for driving at full speed with parts flying of. Lucky no one got a puncture and Hamilton didn't get hit in the head with the part that ripped his mirror.

djos

El Scorchio wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 22:33
djos wrote:

None of that matters if the drivers keep the brakes on until the lights have gone out. Get rid of the tolerances silliness to make it was more simple and straightforward. It can be a very simple sport when not absolutely and unnecessarily confounded by overly complex and ambiguous rules.
If you cant see how that matters then you are frankly beyond help.
"In downforce we trust"

NathanOlder

djos wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 00:19
El Scorchio wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 22:33
djos wrote:

No, he's right. on am up or down hill the left foot holding the car is simple and manageable. If a driver starts moving because he let the car roll forward on the hill, then he's still guilty of a jump start.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

El Scorchio

Let’s not pretend they are doing hill starts on steep inclines. 99.9% of the time there are no jump starts or cars rolling around on the grid and it’s not an issue plaguing race after race, so it’s clearly not some sort of horrible unmanageable problem to keep these cars stationary until the moment comes. You visibly move before the lights go out, you should be penalised. It doesn’t need to be complicated.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Something has just dawned on me. On the last 4 occasions that Lewis Hamilton has won the WDC I’ve been on holiday. Guess where I am on the weekend including the 27th of October.

strad

Then I guess I am beyond help. I firmly believe that if you start/roll before the lights go out you're guilty of a jumped start. None of this tolerance B.S..
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

djos

strad wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 01:59
Then I guess I am beyond help. I firmly believe that if you start/roll before the lights go out you're guilty of a jumped start. None of this tolerance B.S..
My point is there is always going to be some movement (admittedly it should be very small) and therefore a requirement for a margin of error.
"In downforce we trust"

Mkrich32
Mkrich32

RZS10 wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 17:22
It's really interesting how much Bottas benefitted from Vettel's totally not false start, he clearly just went when he saw Vettel move, just compare his start to that of Leclerc and Hamilton - he starts moving one frame after the lights go out
https://i.imgur.com/cpwg3be.gif
Is it my imagination or does Bottas get an amazing start also. Looks like he went with Vettel and effectively jumped the start without being out of the box either. Compare to LeClerc and Hamilton.

Zarathustra

Isn’t it a bad thing to keep applying the brakes- when they are hot, while stationary?

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

Zarathustra wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 03:34
Isn’t it a bad thing to keep applying the brakes- when they are hot, while stationary?
No, brakes heat up and take wear actually slowing a car down it's the friction between the pad and the disc as the disc moves. When the disc isn't moving then it takes extremely little braking power to stay still and won't at all add extra heat.

zeph
zeph

El Scorchio wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 01:14
zeph wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 22:47
I’m glad Bottas took a victory today, and he got the vote for DOTD, so good for him.

This weekend confirmed my suspicions that the “super talents” are only human and entirely beatable when things don’t go their way. Albon was just as quick as Verstappen qualifying, and Leclerc had no answer to Vettel’s devastatingly quick pole lap.

Too bad both Ferraris had poor starts, but it did look like Mercedes was quicker on race pace, so I doubt they’d have been able to secure victory even if the starts had been perfect. I did love how Vettel defended against Hamilton.

Bottas beat Hamilton, Vettel beat Leclerc, and Albon beat Verstappen. This was an interesting day.

Oh, and can somebody give Sainz a quicker car? That dude is impressively consistent.
Well. I have to point out that Bottas only beat Hamilton because of the team making Hamilton do an unnecessarily pit stop from the lead. If they hadn’t altered Hamilton’s strategy then that’s a win for him.
That theory has already been debunked.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

zeph wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 05:54
El Scorchio wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 01:14
zeph wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 22:47
I’m glad Bottas took a victory today, and he got the vote for DOTD, so good for him.

This weekend confirmed my suspicions that the “super talents” are only human and entirely beatable when things don’t go their way. Albon was just as quick as Verstappen qualifying, and Leclerc had no answer to Vettel’s devastatingly quick pole lap.

Too bad both Ferraris had poor starts, but it did look like Mercedes was quicker on race pace, so I doubt they’d have been able to secure victory even if the starts had been perfect. I did love how Vettel defended against Hamilton.

Bottas beat Hamilton, Vettel beat Leclerc, and Albon beat Verstappen. This was an interesting day.

Oh, and can somebody give Sainz a quicker car? That dude is impressively consistent.
Well. I have to point out that Bottas only beat Hamilton because of the team making Hamilton do an unnecessarily pit stop from the lead. If they hadn’t altered Hamilton’s strategy then that’s a win for him.
That theory has already been debunked.
By who?