[ALMS] BMW M3 GTR

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Re: Flexi wings will disappear

West wrote:
DarkSnape wrote:FIA only reacts when BMW starts making progress :roll:
That quote reminds me when Porsche b*tched about the BMW M3 GTR in the ALMS.
They didn't even make attempt to conform to the rule....the flexi-wing car at least passes the static test by FIA...

West
West

I still think that's better than the bs Porsche pulled with the 962... broke the spirit of the rules completely
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

West wrote:I still think that's better than the bs Porsche pulled with the 962... broke the spirit of the rules completely
Dauer 962 was a loophole, M3 GTR was not, BMW agreed to make production car, but wants to race first, and ACO/ALMS is desperate for their participation, and they agreed to it. In the end the production car never really came and BMW just screwed the competition with a GT3 "Prototype".

West
West

My point is... the Dauer was a shameful attempt by Porsche to win Le Mans. According to autozine.com Porsche pushed Dauer to run the 962 knowing well enough it was going to rape everything.

Even if the M3 GTR wasn't homologated correctly, it wasn't 15 seconds a lap faster than the next GT1. I would say "screwed" is an understatement from the M3 - the Dauer was a full-on Group C car and everybody knew it.

Even if the BMW was allowed to race before homologation, the ALMS allowed it to score points, making it a legal car. Everybody knew the Dauer was going to blow them away, yet ACO allowed them to run, making it a legal car too.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

West wrote:My point is... the Dauer was a shameful attempt by Porsche to win Le Mans. According to autozine.com Porsche pushed Dauer to run the 962 knowing well enough it was going to rape everything.

Even if the M3 GTR wasn't homologated correctly, it wasn't 15 seconds a lap faster than the next GT1. I would say "screwed" is an understatement from the M3 - the Dauer was a full-on Group C car and everybody knew it.

Even if the BMW was allowed to race before homologation, the ALMS allowed it to score points, making it a legal car. Everybody knew the Dauer was going to blow them away, yet ACO allowed them to run, making it a legal car too.
Dauer Porsche was made to GT1 spec though, meaning no ground effect, no carbon brake, and weighs 1000KG. In 1994 there were plenty of Prototype still. The real GT1 class was a stillborn. By the end of the Group C era the 962 was rendered obsolete more than 4 seasons before. It was a clever loophole Porsche expolited, and not everyone who were to exploit this could've pulled it off.

M3 GTR was purpose built race car, in the sense the Maserati MC 12 is. Difference is that IMSA/ACO have learnt their lesson and not letting the Maser fly by building a non-rule compliant car and let it race first. M3 GTR did that. To this day, there are still no BMW production car that runs that 4 liter V8.....

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

this is a cool feature, moving a few posts in a thread onto its own thread...

dumrick
dumrick

RacingManiac wrote:It was a clever loophole Porsche expolited, and not everyone who were to exploit this could've pulled it off.
Exactly. Nothing to do with the M3 GTR story, that is one of simply breaking the rules, exploring the organiser's desperation to fill the gridlines...

Furthermore, the Dauer 962 existed a long time before the ban of Group C's. Dauer created it to explore a business opportunity, by re-converting the many 962 chassis (that were being outclassed by newer prototypes) to road use. Porsche's cleverness was to explore an already existing road homologation for those vehicles and race them...

zac510
zac510

And the best part is that you can buy one for your garage... If you're well off of course :(

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

dumrick wrote:
RacingManiac wrote:It was a clever loophole Porsche expolited, and not everyone who were to exploit this could've pulled it off.
Exactly. Nothing to do with the M3 GTR story, that is one of simply breaking the rules, exploring the organiser's desperation to fill the gridlines...

Furthermore, the Dauer 962 existed a long time before the ban of Group C's. Dauer created it to explore a business opportunity, by re-converting the many 962 chassis (that were being outclassed by newer prototypes) to road use. Porsche's cleverness was to explore an already existing road homologation for those vehicles and race them...
The key is it was homologated, M3 GTR(V8) never was homologated.....