Scuderia Ferrari SF91?? Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
zibby43
zibby43

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF91?? Speculation Thread

Mr.G wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 00:12
MtthsMlw wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 22:58
LM10 wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 22:46

Are you sure these are the parts of the new car? Why would they have painted the car already? It would be very unusual for Ferrari to publicly show parts anyway.
Also, wasn't it reported that the color would be different? Less "orange" than last year. The airbox in the video has the same color.
Can't be 100% sure. Though I don't see why they would mate the new PU to an old chassis.
I mean it's kind of the point of these fire ups to do it once the chassis is united with the PU. The PU itself has done miles on miles on the testbench already.
But yes, it's quite unusal that they show anything at all.
Because it is promo video of the engine sound...

I think in the video is old car - 90 years of Ferrari
painted on the fin...

What is more interesting for me, they did not give away much of the sound, do they try to protect against some sound analyses? :)
The image I included where the cover was visible was not from the video.

That was a comparison shot of last year's car for purposes of showing that the airbox design is the same.

The PU needs to be mated to the '20 chassis for the fire-up.

Mr.G

NathanOlder wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 00:41
Mr.G wrote:
MtthsMlw wrote:

Can't be 100% sure. Though I don't see why they would mate the new PU to an old chassis.
I mean it's kind of the point of these fire ups to do it once the chassis is united with the PU. The PU itself has done miles on miles on the testbench already.

painted on the fin...

What is more interesting for me, they did not give away much of the sound, do they try to protect against some sound analyses? :)
Surely if they want to protect from some sound analysis, they don't release a sound video. So I doubt that's why the video wasn't much.
But they don't rew-up the engine much like others usually do, it looks like just idling...
Last edited by Mr.G on 30 Jan 2020, 06:53, edited 1 time in total.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Mr.G

zibby43 wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 02:31
Mr.G wrote:
MtthsMlw wrote:

painted on the fin...

That was a comparison shot of last year's car for purposes of showing that the airbox design is the same.

Sorry, I didn't realized that, I suggested that were snaps from the video (I was questioning my self why they left so obvious giveaway)...

Is there some rule or tradition that they can not fire up the engine on test bench?
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

zibby43
zibby43

Mr.G wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 06:53
zibby43 wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 02:31
Mr.G wrote:

painted on the fin...

Sorry, I didn't realized that, I suggested that were snaps from the video (I was questioning my self why they left so obvious giveaway)...

Is there some rule or tradition that they can not fire up the engine on test bench?
No apology necessary. I should've made that clearer in my post. I definitely can see how that could've been misleading.

And to answer your question, no; no rule against that. But they would've already had this PU running on a test bench for a long time. At some point, you have to ensure that it will run as expected when packaged inside the confines of the chassis itself, and that everything fits and functions as it should.

Mr.G

Yes I understand that, but for example in the beginning of hybrid era didn't everyone posted just sounds from test benches?

For me this (all fire up videos) is more PR than real first fireup...

TimmTurbo
TimmTurbo

At the End you see the actual tub. Not sure if the the bulge in the front is the actual car or just a black protection matt.

aleks_ader

Probably bulge for halo pickup point and driver facing camera.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

PlatinumZealot

The top of the head rest is black... Very unusual if this is return to a red and black colour scheme.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

izzy
izzy

Mr.G wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 07:09
Yes I understand that, but for example in the beginning of hybrid era didn't everyone posted just sounds from test benches?

yes it's to make us go :shock:

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Mr.G wrote:Yes I understand that, but for example in the beginning of hybrid era didn't everyone posted just sounds from test benches?

What they are really looking for with the firing up of the engines is not whether the engine starts or not (they know the engine works as stated before because it has been on a test bench for a long time)... They are trying to make sure that all the connections (ECU, Sensors, etc) in the new car are allowing it to start... The videos of the fire up are showcasing that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cramr
cramr

SmallSoldier wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 21:35
Mr.G wrote:Yes I understand that, but for example in the beginning of hybrid era didn't everyone posted just sounds from test benches?

What they are really looking for with the firing up of the engines is not whether the engine starts or not (they know the engine works as stated before because it has been on a test bench for a long time)... They are trying to make sure that all the connections (ECU, Sensors, etc) in the new car are allowing it to start... The videos of the fire up are showcasing that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Correct.

Is more a systems check and integration than a "engine check" itself

jumpingfish

From Leo Turrini: engine is good; aeroresults look better, but there is still time; relationship between Vettel and Leclerc not so bad.

https://www.quotidiano.net/blog/turrini ... gue-5.6152

f1316
f1316

It kinda shows you how early numbers are not necessarily indicative - regardless of the fact that they knew a major update was coming, Mercedes were said not to be happy with their results from first week of testing in 2019 (I.e. it wasn’t exactly what they were expecting) and Ferrari in 2018 were not especially competitive in Australia, only fixing their issues (supposedly with the diffuser) in Bahrain.

MtthsMlw

F1NAC

It seems like Red-Black-White themed livery. Probably Red and black will be more dominant, with perhaps little white details/judging by the white outlines/.