[ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
wowgr8
wowgr8

Re: [ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

Gothrek wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 19:42
How come Ferrari is so weak in those political games of F1? Last year they got murdered for their engine. Now Mercedes has this questionable DAS and they are so soft about it... They could use this so easily to their political advantage. Yet, they do nothing. If you see how Mercedes uses the press in their advantage and how weak Ferrari is here, almost sad to watch.
No no no, the media wants Ferrari to complain and kick up a fuss to create headlines. And they also want to use that to --- on Ferrari, they're being very diplomatic about it which is the right thing to do, especially cause it's not illegal, at least not yet

Rikhart
Rikhart

No statements from Vettel today?

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

wowgr8 wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 16:41
Having a poor car may be a positive? It means while Mercedes and Red Bull duke out the title fight we can concentrate on 2021. An article before the season started said that the first few races will be crucial for determining where resources go for the rest of the year. Don't bother saving the car if it's handfuls of tenths slower than the competition
I wonder how much money, time, resources, and energy have been diverted to 2021 by Ferrari to begin with. This is the last year of a soon to be dead formula in which Mercedes has had the upper hand almost the whole time.

Maybe Ferrari has been cheating toward the 2021 project where they are not inherently playing catch up. They also know the first team to figure out the formula will likely enjoy an advantage for a wile.

Sink everything into the year and--maybe--you win 1 championship.

Sink it all into next year and maybe you get 4 or 5 in a new era of domination.

Zynerji

Ringleheim wrote:
22 Feb 2020, 03:12
wowgr8 wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 16:41
Having a poor car may be a positive? It means while Mercedes and Red Bull duke out the title fight we can concentrate on 2021. An article before the season started said that the first few races will be crucial for determining where resources go for the rest of the year. Don't bother saving the car if it's handfuls of tenths slower than the competition
I wonder how much money, time, resources, and energy have been diverted to 2021 by Ferrari to begin with. This is the last year of a soon to be dead formula in which Mercedes has had the upper hand almost the whole time.

Maybe Ferrari has been cheating toward the 2021 project where they are not inherently playing catch up. They also know the first team to figure out the formula will likely enjoy an advantage for a wile.

Sink everything into the year and--maybe--you win 1 championship.

Sink it all into next year and maybe you get 4 or 5 in a new era of domination.t
Sad but true.. :cry:

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

The more I read Binotto’s comments, the more I wonder if they’ve got something up their sleeve. In particular, he said they’re operating the car at the extremes of suspension and aero setup to correlate on track and simulator data. This could certainly explain why their lap times dropped off so quickly on any given stint. Combined with low engine modes, stuff started to fall into place...

Of course, could be total wishful thinking

bluechris

Also i watched all the practise as much i was able to and most of the time that ferrari was on track i never saw DRS open...

zibby43
zibby43

JPBD1990 wrote:
22 Feb 2020, 15:08
The more I read Binotto’s comments, the more I wonder if they’ve got something up their sleeve. In particular, he said they’re operating the car at the extremes of suspension and aero setup to correlate on track and simulator data. This could certainly explain why their lap times dropped off so quickly on any given stint. Combined with low engine modes, stuff started to fall into place...

Or this car is still chewing up the tires. The concerning things, in my mind, are the following: 1) the car still understeers and performs poorly in slow corners (and the sliding chews up the tires); 2) Ferrari completed around 140 laps less than Merc/Red Bull (that's the equivalent to about 2 race distances less running, which isn't insignificant); 3) the PU.

All that said, I would be absolutely shocked if Ferrari aren't closer to the top 3 than they are the leading midfield car come time for Australia.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

zibby43 wrote:
22 Feb 2020, 21:29
JPBD1990 wrote:

Or this car is still chewing up the tires. The concerning things, in my mind, are the following: 1) the car still understeers and performs poorly in slow corners (and the sliding chews up the tires); 2) Ferrari completed around 140 laps less than Merc/Red Bull (that's the equivalent to about 2 race distances less running, which isn't insignificant); 3) the PU.

All that said, I would be absolutely shocked if Ferrari aren't closer to the top 3 than they are the leading midfield car come time for Australia.
I agree with all of those things (Except the power unit, I’m quite sure that will be excellent - they won’t have gone backwards), and I ultimately do think we’re behind but not by as much as it might seem.

Again, I’m not trying to use Binotto’s words as a way of saying we’re actually crushing the field - only trying to make sense of them.

All of what you described could be covered by his explanation of running the aero/suspension as ‘extremes’. This could help them set up their simulator back at Maranello so they can understand what X toe, X camber, X ride height, X aero load - REALLY do, instead of just simulating it.

I think this could help through the season, and in Australia. I think the mistake they made last year was happening upon a great setup, which made them look fast, so they stopped exploring and just honed in on that. I think that screwed them for other races/tracks and left them unable to setup the car.

This is again all just one possibility. The other is they’re completely out to sea. Time will tell.

zibby43
zibby43

JPBD1990 wrote:
23 Feb 2020, 03:44
zibby43 wrote:
22 Feb 2020, 21:29
JPBD1990 wrote:

I agree with all of those things (Except the power unit, I’m quite sure that will be excellent - they won’t have gone backwards), and I ultimately do think we’re behind but not by as much as it might seem.

Again, I’m not trying to use Binotto’s words as a way of saying we’re actually crushing the field - only trying to make sense of them.

All of what you described could be covered by his explanation of running the aero/suspension as ‘extremes’. This could help them set up their simulator back at Maranello so they can understand what X toe, X camber, X ride height, X aero load - REALLY do, instead of just simulating it.

I think this could help through the season, and in Australia. I think the mistake they made last year was happening upon a great setup, which made them look fast, so they stopped exploring and just honed in on that. I think that screwed them for other races/tracks and left them unable to setup the car.

This is again all just one possibility. The other is they’re completely out to sea. Time will tell.
I 100% agree with the statement in bold. We'll certainly get a better idea in the coming days. The more data that is accumulated, the easier it is for the teams to translate the GPS data. Plus, in the final days of the test, teams will start to lean on the cars and do a bit more performance running.

Fab55
Fab55

I think the serious problem that emerged in the first tests is that it was not possible to combine the new packaging of the sides, now able to generate sufficient load, with the usual solution of the renunciation of a substantial portion of cooling coming from the airscope (useful both straight, than in fast corners). Evidently the packaging of the bellies is now too dense and generates an incoming waste which on one hand generates useless drag and on the other serious cooling problems on the deeper organs. It is likely that in Australia, except for technical miracles, we will see a Ferrari / Alfa. In fact, Alfa clearly represents a "parachute" project precisely because of the eventuality that has now been ascertained and which was obviously feared.

f1jcw
f1jcw

https://www.ft.com/content/2f937640-562 ... 03987b7b20

Crazy scenario, if it spreads to more towns including the Ferrari base and was unable to get to Melbourne, I presume the race would continue without them and just forfeit points.

Juzh

f1jcw wrote:
23 Feb 2020, 21:46

Crazy scenario, if it spreads to more towns including the Ferrari base and was unable to get to Melbourne, I presume the race would continue without them and just forfeit points.
Although this article is under pay-wall I believe it's about covid-19? At this point it's a plausible scenario. Quarantined towns are only about 120 km away from ferrari base.

f1jcw
f1jcw

Juzh wrote:
23 Feb 2020, 22:50
f1jcw wrote:
23 Feb 2020, 21:46

Although this article is under pay-wall I believe it's about covid-19? At this point it's a plausible scenario. Quarantined towns are only about 120 km away from ferrari base.
Ah, it allowed me a read through google

The relevant parts

Italy has imposed a strict quarantine across at least 10 towns as authorities in its wealthy northern regions battled to contain the largest outbreak of coronavirus outside of Asia.

Officials said on Sunday that a third Italian had died from the virus as the infection count rose to 152, up from just three identified cases on Friday morning, raising fears that coronavirus is spreading at pace through Europe.

The last days of the Venice Carnival and several Serie A football fixtures were cancelled. Authorities also closed schools and universities as they struggled to find the source of the outbreak. Large Italian companies, including the bank UniCredit, told employees in affected towns not to come to work.

“I was surprised by this explosion of cases,” prime minister Giuseppe Conte told state broadcaster RAI, warning that the number was likely to rise in coming days. “We will do everything we can to contain the contagion.”

In Italy, the majority of new cases are concentrated in the wealthy northern regions of Lombardy and Veneto that make up around a third of the output of an Italian economy already teetering on the brink of a recession.

Police have established a blockade around a cluster of 10 communities south of Milan with a population of about 50,000 people, where a large number of infections have been identified. Locals in the affected areas have been told not leave their houses, while anyone entering the area has been warned by police they will not be allowed to leave. Those who disobey the instructions face fines or potential imprisonment.

People queue at a supermarket in one of the quarantined areas in northern Italy © Guglielmo Mangiapane/Reuters
Mr Conte this weekend announced “extraordinary measures” to tackle the outbreak and said that the quarantine conditions would potentially be in place for several weeks if necessary.

Italian health authorities have so far been unable to identify the exact source of the outbreak, and how it has apparently spread so quickly between patients who have not had direct contact with travellers from China.

“We have still not been able to identify patient zero so it is difficult to predict new cases,” said Angelo Borrelli, the extraordinary commissioner in charge of emergencies.

Luca Zaia, governor of the Veneto region, said the last two days of the Venice carnival would be cancelled and declared to reporters that the outbreak was “the absolutely worst problem that Veneto has faced” during his time in office; the region has previously been hit by floods and other natural disasters.

He also said that the difficulty the authorities faced finding the original source of the outbreak suggested that the spread of the virus may be far larger than believed when the first cases were identified late last week.

PlatinumZealot

So... give the car two weeks to get better then?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

izzy
izzy

f1jcw wrote:
23 Feb 2020, 22:55
Ah, it allowed me a read through google
The relevant parts
Italy has imposed a strict quarantine across at least 10 towns as authorities in its wealthy northern regions battled to contain the largest outbreak of coronavirus outside of Asia.
God what a nightmare. if there's one thing F1 teams and factories do it's work closely together, so if anyone gets it they'll all have to be quarantined, and that's at best!

Perhaps they'll have to self-isolate at least the race team? And what about the test even? Can F1 afford to let them turn up and mingle with the entire circus?