[ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MtthsMlw

Re: [ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

Could actually happen, his family is in the garage today. We'll see

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Does anyone know the best sector 3 time of the first week?

This must bode well?

Santozini
Santozini

Any updates on the press conference?

Cuky

as far as I heard it was just to make up for the one he missed on the 1st day of testing. He talked about how new car is better in fast corners and Binotto talked about how they are working on setups. When asked about new contract Vettel has said that he is as concerned as he was 3 years ago, while Binotto once again said that Vettel is their 1st choice for that seat

jumpingfish

Binotto: "Today we drive with the engine that we used last week. The problem with the lubrication was only a small one. It already occurred once on the test bench. We've taken precautions to make sure it won't happen again."
"We are generally better in the corners. We have achieved this by putting more downforce on the car. We pay for that on the straights. We generally have to work on the balance of the car. DAS is something we have thought of adopting in the past. We had our doubts about its regularity and its ability to improve performance. I can inform you that we will not install DAS on Ferrari!"
"Our competitors are very fast. Especially Mercedes. Their fastest lap time in the tests was very impressive. They also seem to be reliable. There's no doubt that they have the fastest car at the moment. We try to optimize the setup. Our focus will shift more to fast laps."

Mattia Binotto says Mercedes' suggestion that Ferrari ran its engines at lower levels to its customer teams last week is "not correct"
Binotto and Vettel will sit down and discuss contracts over dinner and a glass of wine!

Vettel: "This is not the right time to talk about my future. But the moment will come. The priority right now is the car! We would like to be in a better position. There is a lot to do, but we know where to start. The season hasn't even started yet. I still love driving, and I’m here to win. I joined Ferrari to win the championship and we haven’t done so so far. But the determination is there. I feel that the car is much better in corners. Especially in the fast corners. Like Turn 9, for example."

via @Vetteleclerc

bosyber
bosyber

Mattia Binotto says Mercedes' suggestion that Ferrari ran its engines at lower levels to its customer teams last week is "not correct"

Is he really trying to out-Toto the competition, or what is up then, as the method Mercedes described as to how they got that is an advanced, more data rich form of what pundits, and we hear do; taking that at face value, does that mean a lot of drag?

PlatinumZealot

The balance is still not to Vettel's liking and it is holding up progress on extrracting speed from the car.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

munudeges
munudeges

There is nothing on that car that indicates any kind of magical hidden pace.

LM10
LM10

dtro
dtro

munudeges wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 19:20
There is nothing on that car that indicates any kind of magical hidden pace.
Perhaps because it's the last year before a major reg change, and the last year of semi-stable regulations marking the end of an era, the teams aren't showing us/one another anything close to the one lap pace they did last year (yet). Sure you can try to read between the lines, but we don't get a full idea even in terms of where the top teams are when they go out for quali runs.

Last years testing times were on average faster than what we've seen this year by the last day. We have a couple of days for the teams to show us they still have like two seconds in hand by the time we go to Barcelona for the GP.

Mercedes sandbags, Ferrari parachutes down straights apparently. If and when Ferrari turns it up/drops a sandbag or two during testing they'll "magically" find at least a second if not a second and a half. They wound up with egg and more on their face last year. Why would they Connor McGregor their way into this season again.

The car appears to be an improvement over last season. RP can copy Merc's homework but assuming they'll beat Ferrari is assuming Ferrari stood still. They're there or thereabout RB/Merc.

Lets see if the race/strategy department can make the most of the machinery and if they can find reliability/predictability with the car's balance.

jumpingfish

Ringleheim wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 20:32
Either Ferrari was running huge amounts of fuel on the softest tires (which makes no sense whatsoever), or the car just isn't very fast.

Everything we have seen, heard, and observed through the first and second test to date supports the notion that it is the latter.

I will be curious to see how the Tracing Point stacks up against the Ferrari in qualifying at Albert Park, never mind the Mercedes and Red Bull.
Why full-fuel mode has no sense? No races when they start on softest tyres with fuel for all laps?

Juzh

vettel's 1.16.8 lap onbaord

https://streamable.com/s2i52

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Sorry for the duplicate post whoever has read this already in the SF1000 thread, I don’t wanna get in trouble :P

Here is what I think

Talking about engine modes, Vettel said:

"We also turned up the power every now and then. But in laps where nobody was looking."

So he acknowledges they’re disguising their max power. This also ties in with what Binotto said about the Mercedes comments - they ARE using all their engine modes, just in ways that ensure people can’t tell. For example, low power (maybe race) engine modes on low fuel, high engine modes (Maybe quali) on high fuel.

This allows them to assess tire wear, engine performance, etc, while still disguising max pace.

This also addresses the ‘drag’ issue. Read between the lines. Everything they’re saying is true - they have more downforce and therefore more drag. It’s the media that has extrapolated ‘more drag’ to mean a ‘drag catastrophe’. Remember last week when Seb clocked 329kmh? Now this week 309 max?

I DO think they’re behind, but I DO think they’re sandbagging. I think Australia will be close.

Sevach
Sevach

Looks like a good natured car, no nasty traits.
For the lap times Ferrari playing games like the other big dogs.

Turn 1 apex speed 177 from 160 in qualifying last year, noice.
It's a notoriously quicker car on entry, every type of corner.
SF90 326 straight line speed(W10 319),This blips 309.
Before braking for T4 SF90 296, this 285.

jumpingfish

Digged into xls file that was linked by Juzh (real treasure) and we see this:
Day3 am Vettel reached maximum speed 329km/h with bigger rear wing (no spoon), big doubt that there were only fumes in fuel tank and I also doubt their engine mode was K1+ which is most powerful. In 2019 Qualy speedtrap fixed 325km/h.

S3 time 26.015. Vettel's S1 and S2 at this lap very slow (preparing tyre temperature for testing fastest S3?) Also, it was done on C3 after running 5 laps (not fresh as in Qualy) and rear wing was spoon.

Now Vettel and "fastest" lap on C5 with spoon, maximum speed on traps: 305km/h -- 284km/h -- 304km/h -- 275km/h
Here is his maximum speed on traps during yesterday morning: 308km/h -- 285km/h -- 304km/h -- 280km/h. I know that by onboards we can see higher speed but not at all laps so traps better to compare.

I don't think that Ferrari has so much "problems" with their drag as Binotto says :)