[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
genarro
genarro

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

im sure that McLaren will be able to overcome this crisis.

Speaking of Horner..why wasnt he beaten with a stick for proposing a customer car philosophy to F1. As i see it it would cement the pecking order forever and ever.

Lucky
Lucky

McLaren: Ricciardo is the alternative to Ferrari's Sainz
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-mc ... a/4790125/

mwillems

genarro wrote:
08 May 2020, 07:10
im sure that McLaren will be able to overcome this crisis.

Speaking of Horner..why wasn't he beaten with a stick for proposing a customer car philosophy to F1. As i see it it would cement the pecking order forever and ever.
I don't mind the customer car idea, I think it would allow teams to come in and compete without spending big. but I would ban them from any car development for that years car, a cap on time and money allowed to be spent on developing the next years car (One third of original allotted amount?) , no data sharing either way at any point between the teams about setup or performance and the car could carry no parts different to what was in the copied car from the final race of the previous season.

I'd have it be something that is not a platform to pour development into the next car but after that, it'd be great.

I'd love to see the smaller teams competing at the front, being able mix up the drivers market if they go crazy with a salary, watch them put a spanner in the works for a few teams now and then. Yes, it would be harsh on Mclaren who are both a big independent and proud team, yet not fastest enough to pull away from a copy car. But in terms of racing and F1 it would be great fun for the sport. Plus, imagine seeing the pure speed difference between this years car and last years car, see how the new cars develop and pull away from the clone, and then at the end of the season, understand just how much they have developed.

Customer cars all the way for me, but just put some governance around it that makes everyone happy, even more than I have suggested if need be.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Darth-Piekus

Personally I am against customer cars that copy main teams. F1 is not a charity. Either you have the money to compete making something yourself and reach the top or do not compete at all. It bothers me that they removed a lot of the tests between races and before the season starts, the refueling during a race, the many tyre manufacturers and the other engine manufacturers. It also bothers me that they removed so many iconic races.

diffuser

Darth-Piekus wrote:
10 May 2020, 18:10
Personally I am against customer cars that copy main teams. F1 is not a charity. Either you have the money to compete making something yourself and reach the top or do not compete at all. It bothers me that they removed a lot of the tests between races and before the season starts, the refueling during a race, the many tyre manufacturers and the other engine manufacturers. It also bothers me that they removed so many iconic races.
It isn't a charity but it isn't a sport either. It really hasn't been a sport except for a hand full of seasons. I think a CAP needs to be put in place.

I'm not sure what you mean by customer teams ..is STR a customer team ?

I think all teams should design they're own chassis. PU and transmission is optional. Everything beyond that should not be allowed (I presume this is the customer car category?). They should drop the cap to whatever it has to be so that everyone can do that.

Well they're trying to cut costs, removing the tests was one way. not sure why that bothers you .... it really helped the richer teams anyways... Anything you allow a F1 team to do, will always help the richer teams, simply cause they can always do more in the same time frame. The #1 priority to better racing is a cap.

Too many refuelling accidents plus it was really expensive to pay for all the rigging to speed up the process. I don't think anyone would disagree with a return to refuelling if they standardised the equipment and it could be done safely.

They multi-tyre thing is a different deal. I think we're better off with one supplier. Cause with one supplier everyone uses the same tyres. With a Multi supplier scenario you have to also govern the tyre manufactures. Who is spending more are, they targeting 1 f1 team, stuff like that. is it motor sport or tyre sport? Don't think it added anything to the spectacle.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
10 May 2020, 19:41
Darth-Piekus wrote:
10 May 2020, 18:10
It isn't a charity but it isn't a sport either. It really hasn't been a sport except for a hand full of seasons. I think a CAP needs to be put in place.

I'm not sure what you mean by customer teams ..is STR a customer team ?

I think all teams should design they're own chassis. PU and transmission is optional. Everything beyond that should not be allowed (I presume this is the customer car category?). They should drop the cap to whatever it has to be so that everyone can do that.

Well they're trying to cut costs, removing the tests was one way. not sure why that bothers you .... it really helped the richer teams anyways... Anything you allow a F1 team to do, will always help the richer teams, simply cause they can always do more in the same time frame. The #1 priority to better racing is a cap.

Too many refuelling accidents plus it was really expensive to pay for all the rigging to speed up the process. I don't think anyone would disagree with a return to refuelling if they standardised the equipment and it could be done safely.

They multi-tyre thing is a different deal. I think we're better off with one supplier. Cause with one supplier everyone uses the same tyres. With a Multi supplier scenario you have to also govern the tyre manufactures. Who is spending more are, they targeting 1 f1 team, stuff like that. is it motor sport or tyre sport? Don't think it added anything to the spectacle.
100% agree with this =D>
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mclaren111

Agreed...

ScottR267
ScottR267

Already posted on the Williams team thread, however Simon Roberts as now joined Williams. I did wonder why when he left nothing was mentioned or rumoured about his next move.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/will ... r/4790805/

AfzMoha
AfzMoha

I've mentioned this before on this thread, but I think Vettel to McLaren a real possibility. Even more now with what's happening with his contract talks with Ferrari. If I had to guess, I think Sainz to Ferrari and Vettel to McLaren to partner Norris.
Last edited by AfzMoha on 12 May 2020, 04:09, edited 1 time in total.

RonDennis
RonDennis

AfzMoha wrote:
12 May 2020, 01:15
I've mentioned this before on this thread, but I think Vettel to McLaren a real possibility. Even more now with what's happening with his contract talk with Ferrari. If I had to guess, I think Sainz to Ferrari and Vettel to McLaren to partner Norris.
I wouldn't be surprised. Should be a win for McLaren. I still believe Vettel has it, but he's in dire need of a fresh environment. Sainz has done a good job, but I don't know how good he really is. I still prefer Vettel or Ricciardo to be honest.

AfzMoha
AfzMoha

Even Sainz to Ferrari and Ricciardo to McLaren would be somthing I see happening. Vettel may decide to take a sabbatical. I'd love to keep the team together, but a vacent Ferrari seat may be too tempting for Sainz.

Lucky
Lucky

Riccardo is good, Spinner is bad

genarro
genarro

if Sainz decides to switch to ferrari at least we have two good alternatives. If i were to chose i would take Vettel over ricciardo.

EddyBaggio

Said it before, but I would love to see Vettel in McL. As good as Alonso but without the drama.

Lucky
Lucky

EddyBaggio wrote:
12 May 2020, 06:34
Said it before, but I would love to see Vettel in McL.
enjoy
](*,) ](*,)