[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Did Carlos and Lando really go at it wheel to wheel? Would love to see it.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Ground Effect wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 20:35
They did. To be fair Sainz seemed faster at that moment, but it could be DRS. There was a bit more as well, but don't have the clips.

Emag
Emag

There is still room of improvement. I bet the team knows that, I just hope they don't get too carried away.
Work needs to be done to improve the race pace as I think it is not good enough to beat RP and that was masked somewhat by the safety cars and the mayhem going on this race.
And to catch RedBull a lot more work is needed. Nevertheless, the car is a clear improvement over last year.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

FittingMechanics wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 20:38
Ground Effect wrote:
They did. To be fair Sainz seemed faster at that moment, but it could be DRS. There was a bit more as well, but don't have the clips.
Thanks for this, really fantastic performance by the entire team. Even seeing that scrap is great to see. Two competitive team mates in competitive cars.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

Jackles-UK

Ground Effect wrote:
They did for a couple of laps after the final safety car but apparently Carlos was told to hold fire after they found out Lewis had a penalty to allow Norris to chase down the podium. Absolutely correct decision, Hamilton would’ve kept 3rd if Mercedes had allowed him past Bottas to do the same.

Chicane
Chicane

Norris last lap, the fastest lap of the race
Quickshifter

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Emag wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 20:44
There is still room of improvement. I bet the team knows that, I just hope they don't get too carried away.
Work needs to be done to improve the race pace as I think it is not good enough to beat RP and that was masked somewhat by the safety cars and the mayhem going on this race.
And to catch RedBull a lot more work is needed. Nevertheless, the car is a clear improvement over last year.
I’m sure they know that, I trust Seidl to keep it real within the team. The plan is to return to battling at the front of the grid, but still some way to go.

zeph
zeph

Emag wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 20:44

I’m not sure that’s the case. Perez only got the better of Norris when he was on fresh medium tires (vs. Norris’ hards). On the same tires, the McLaren looked faster this weekend.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

zeph wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 20:49

I’m not sure that’s the case. Perez only got the better of Norris when he was on fresh medium tires (vs. Norris’ hards). On the same tires, the McLaren looked faster this weekend.
Don't forget that the gaps were reset with the SC. Perez was about 3 seconds behind Norris before the first SC.

diffuser

Darth-Piekus wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 16:59
So Mclaren vs Copycat Mercedes 1-0. A great lesson to be learned for the Pink Mercedes. Dont expect to copy something and expect to work against someone who has built all these years on their own.
I think the new RP is far superior to the 2019 RP. Also, if they had changed Perez's tires during one of the pace cars, it would have been much more difficult to get past him. So I'm not sure what you are jumping up and down about with regards to RP. Their pace is right there.

Macklaren
Macklaren

diffuser wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 21:39
Darth-Piekus wrote:
So Mclaren vs Copycat Mercedes 1-0. A great lesson to be learned for the Pink Mercedes. Dont expect to copy something and expect to work against someone who has built all these years on their own.
I think the new RP is far superior to the 2019 RP. Also, if they had changed Perez's tires during one of the pace cars, it would have been much more difficult to get past him. So I'm not sure what you are jumping up and down about with regards to RP. Their pace is right there.
Yes, but that would have been lucky for RP. The fact remains that neither RP could pass a McL on track until PER switched strategies to go on to a faster tire (Which would have handed the position back to NOR at the end of a normal race, most likely)

michl420
michl420

Wow! Seeing the video, that last lap was really teamwork.

M840TR
M840TR

diffuser wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:
I'd even say they were a bit faster. Perez only fell back in the first stint after being within a second for a long time. You can't following an f1 car so closely in turbulent air unless you're faster. The heat and consequent management were reasons he stretched the gap afterwards.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:
True,their pace is good, but Norris dropped him during the first stint and Carlos dropped Lance, if I’m not mistaken. If Checo had put on hards at the first stop, it’s unlikely he would have passed Lando in the first place. I guess people (me inclusive) are jumping up and down because the consensus was that RP were considerably faster than McLaren. Lawrence Barretto on F1.com put McLaren only ahead of AT on race pace. Even Carlos said RP were too far ahead to be caught. Checo said after qualifying that they would be disappointed if they didn’t beat McLaren today.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

diffuser wrote:
It's possible that Norris/Sainz would do the opposite of Perez, if he pitted for a second time one would stay out. It would make sense to take that gamble at least with one of the drivers. It's strange Perez didn't pit, he was the only medium runner so he had to expect to be borderline on the tire wear.