[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

McL-H wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 21:27

Baby steps, my friend. Baby steps. Victories will come, until then we must remember to celebrate the small successes. Couple of years back we were fighting to get into Q2. Last year we fought for P4 and got it. Right now we are fighting for P3. Rome wasn’t built in one day either. Have faith.
Completely agree. The "project" is going according to plan. McLaren is fast on track, there is an overload of sponsors on the car, the team seems to be functioning well, Q3 in all races, qualified well except in Hungary, raced decently even with some issues in pitstops and not being very good on strategy in Hungary. Even after all of that, the team sits in P3 with a decent chance to keep that spot if they can make a small step forward. Things are looking good. I'm hoping that funding for the new wind tunnel is secure and that it will be operation ASAP, team doing this well will surely help.

And for the next year, I truly believe that Ricciardo will be a big help. Especially given that it seems that Norris has got up to speed and is as capable as Sainz is, getting a known quality overtaker in Ricciardo will help a lot with results.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Still holding tight to P3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shotzski

On some other news, more sponsors coming in:
CEO of the F1 team, Brown pointed to new sponsorship deals, and further impending “announcements”, as signs that McLaren have overcome their funding worries.
“We’ve just announced Gulf Oil and IQONIQ, we have a couple of announcements coming up, so we are now exactly where we want to be.
Just quoted the important bits. Here's the full article
https://www.planetf1.com/news/mclaren-f ... y-healthy/

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Even if he was “held up” a little RIC pace was more than enough to match Landos. Senseless discussion anyhow. Sainz won’t have done it on purpose, there is a lot more radio comms then shown. Remember he let Norris through straight away in the styrian gp.
Hopefully some upgrades this week will eek out another 0.1/0.2s improvement. We march on boys

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 21:57
McL-H wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 21:27

Baby steps, my friend. Baby steps. Victories will come, until then we must remember to celebrate the small successes. Couple of years back we were fighting to get into Q2. Last year we fought for P4 and got it. Right now we are fighting for P3. Rome wasn’t built in one day either. Have faith.
Completely agree. The "project" is going according to plan. McLaren is fast on track, there is an overload of sponsors on the car, the team seems to be functioning well, Q3 in all races, qualified well except in Hungary, raced decently even with some issues in pitstops and not being very good on strategy in Hungary. Even after all of that, the team sits in P3 with a decent chance to keep that spot if they can make a small step forward. Things are looking good. I'm hoping that funding for the new wind tunnel is secure and that it will be operation ASAP, team doing this well will surely help.

And for the next year, I truly believe that Ricciardo will be a big help. Especially given that it seems that Norris has got up to speed and is as capable as Sainz is, getting a known quality overtaker in Ricciardo will help a lot with results.
I agree about Ricciardo. I got down voted for suggesting last year that Carlos was a good guy but not a leading driver but I really don't think he is more than a top midfield driver. After so many seasons in F1 I dont see that changing.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

djos

I’d have to agree, Carlos is a very good driver, but he’s not a #1 imo. Next year, Lando and Daniel will take McLaren to the next level. They both have the right stuff to battle for championships imo.
"In downforce we trust"

the EDGE
the EDGE

djos wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 10:34
I’d have to agree, Carlos is a very good driver, but he’s not a #1 imo. Next year, Lando and Daniel will take McLaren to the next level. They both have the right stuff to battle for championships imo.
Lando’s doing great & learning fast, but I wouldn’t put him in the same league as Lewis, Max & possibly even Leclerc

It will be really interesting to see him go up against Daniel next year. The good thing is, like Carlos, RIC is a team player. I don't think Leclerc is, so I expect Carlos to run into problems next year in this respects like he did in Torro Rosso With Max

haza
haza

Who came out on top that season when Carlos and max where team mates

Jackles-UK

Carlos seems to be having all the luck that Lando had last year with pit stop issues in Austria/Styria and the tyre failure yesterday. Lando definitely seems to have the measure of him in qualifying right now but let’s not forget that Carlos was arguably the best driver on the grid last season if you disregard the two aliens in Hamilton & Verstappen who are just on another level.

It’s a shame they weren’t able to pick up a real hatful for points at a track that really suits the car (it only really has one truly slow corner) but equally they got lucky that Hulkenberg didn’t even start and Vettel was absolutely nowhere to be seen so the loss was negated somewhat.

diffuser

the EDGE wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 12:13
djos wrote:
Lando’s doing great & learning fast, but I wouldn’t put him in the same league as Lewis, Max & possibly even Leclerc

It will be really interesting to see him go up against Daniel next year. The good thing is, like Carlos, RIC is a team player. I don't think Leclerc is, so I expect Carlos to run into problems next year in this respects like he did in Torro Rosso With Max
You make it sound like Carlos get's the info for how to setup his car from Norris?

Anyways, I think LeClerc is a team player and Vettel's the one not to extend his hand.... Not sure how many times LeClerc gave up the lead Ferrari in the race to Vettel last year all in the name of "the team".

billamend
billamend

the EDGE wrote:
The good thing is, like Carlos, RIC is a team player.
Is he? I think a lot of people will be surprised next year.

diffuser

djos wrote:
I think next year will be a good measuring stick for both those drivers.

Think you better cut back on the edibles, if think has proven his metal as a great driver.

the EDGE
the EDGE

billamend wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 14:29
the EDGE wrote:
The good thing is, like Carlos, RIC is a team player.
Is he? I think a lot of people will be surprised next year.
Ricardo is not afraid to get his elbows out, he’s an awesome racer... but I still say he’s a team player

He’s not dirty and will give his team mate (and others) plenty of space

Next to the likes of Max, Seb, Grojan, Perez & Kevin he looks like an angel - how nice it is not to have to include Kvyat in that bunch anymore :lol:

bauc

I just watched the race, oh my god, that last lap puncture for SAI :(((((|

Reminded me of Kimi and also of Mika when he was leading the race in Germany 40 seconds in front of Shumi when his engine died.....
Overall we had better pace than Renault & Copy Cat RP, but LEC in the Ferrari was better than us and also we will need to be better on tire management.

Overall our team is improving and better days are comming.

We will win again! Mclaren!
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
the EDGE wrote:
djos wrote:

You make it sound like Carlos get's the info for how to setup his car from Norris?

Anyways, I think LeClerc is a team player and Vettel's the one not to extend his hand.... Not sure how many times LeClerc gave up the lead Ferrari in the race to Vettel last year all in the name of "the team".
Leclerc did so at the very early stages of the season when he was supposed to be a clear #2 to Vettel... Afterwards, it was a different story

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk