[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

epo wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 16:39
adrianjordan wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 16:19
Pre-season, who would have believed we'd be out qualifying Ferrari on merit!!
Well in all fairness they now have severely lacking engine in qualy. Leclerc is the better driver and their race pace should be better.
I doubt that makes as much difference as you think. Especially at a track like Spain. Pretty certain the difference between Merc and McLaren is 99% chassis.
Last edited by diffuser on 15 Aug 2020, 23:14, edited 1 time in total.

diffuser

tangodjango wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 16:57
bauc wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 16:53
Wait wait, aren't all teams suppose to use identical hardware and software (including engine mods) ? :wtf:
He clearly meant that they can't access the qualifying modes in the race so they should drop towards McLaren on race pace.
Also for the foreseeable future as you'll not be allowed to switch engine modes from now on.

ThePapayaJaguar
ThePapayaJaguar

Lucky wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 13:36
ThePapayaJaguar wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 13:33
Are Carlos's cooling issues solved? Sky Sports said he got a new MGU-K. Looking at the positives, we're fighting with the Racing Points.
New Ice, TC, Mgu-h, mgu-k
https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 85184?s=19
Thanks for this!

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 19:00
Mclaren reducing the gap to the front in qualifying... Good progress!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SPA will be interesting with the new reg "same PU map for the race as for quali".

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

SPA will be interesting with the new reg "same PU map for the race as for quali".
Is it official? I know there was a letter sent by FIA to the teams regarding their intent, but haven’t read that is was official

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

proteus

SmallSoldier wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 05:04
diffuser wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Is it official? I know there was a letter sent by FIA to the teams regarding their intent, but haven’t read that is was official

Who is preventing Mercedes to turn up the engine (pretending it is their standard) before the limitation and simply detune it for the race running?

It is pointless.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

diffuser

proteus wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 09:39
SmallSoldier wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Who is preventing Mercedes to turn up the engine (pretending it is their standard) before the limitation and simply detune it for the race running?

It is pointless.
So the whole reason why the new reg is being put into place is cause the FIA is having a hard time comparing all the PU modes. Making sure all the customer teams have the same maps and the maps are Identical to the works team is taking too much time. So having to verify one mode will make it easier. The FIA have all kinds of sensors on all these cars along with the Control electronics.

After quali all the cars go into Parc Ferme. Each team need to request permission from the FIA with a precise list of actions they want to perform on the cars if they want to make changes. They are also supervised while performing these actions and the list of possible actions are limited. They get the cars back 15 minutes before the race.

proteus

diffuser wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 11:26
proteus wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

It is pointless.
So the whole reason why the new reg is being put into place is cause the FIA is having a hard time comparing all the PU modes. Making sure all the customer teams have the same maps and the maps are Identical to the works team is taking too much time. So having to verify one mode will make it easier. The FIA have all kinds of sensors on all these cars along with the Control electronics.

After quali all the cars go into Parc Ferme. Each team need to request permission from the FIA with a precise list of actions they want to perform on the cars if they want to make changes. They are also supervised while performing these actions and the list of possible actions are limited. They get the cars back 15 minutes before the race.
Engine modes are under software, so the team controls them simply via their command panel during the race. They dont need to physically change anything on the car. So they can simply submit a strong engine map as their "standard" and detune it during the race as they are doing it now.

Atleast this is my understanding of the matter. FIA cant do much about it the way this works, can they? The only solution would be only one written programme for the engine and no access to the onboard computer for qualy and race. Once it is written and uploaded noone should be able to change it.

And let the driver do his thing afterwards.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Big Tea

proteus wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 11:42
diffuser wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 11:26
proteus wrote:

It is pointless.

Engine modes are under software, so the team controls them simply via their command panel during the race. They dont need to physically change anything on the car. So they can simply submit a strong engine map as their "standard" and detune it during the race as they are doing it now.

Atleast this is my understanding of the matter. FIA cant do much about it the way this works, can they? The only solution would be only one written programme for the engine and no access to the onboard computer for qualy and race. Once it is written and uploaded noone should be able to change it.

And let the driver do his thing afterwards.
They can not adjust anything from the pit/wall, that's why they radio the driver to used mode X
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Darth-Piekus

I am back home after a week of holidays. I wish for a good and clean start for our drivers. First target keep Leclerc and the Renaults behind. Racing Point will have disqualification problems. They cannot keep going like that.

So fingers crossed and let's see if we improve our game in our battle to obtain that 3rd place.

diffuser

We'll see how it goes. Once it becomes a rule then not only the FIA are watching. The other teams too...including teams with the same PU.

Darth-Piekus

One thing that makes me wondering. Considering last year's scandal with Ferrari and the whole cover up, is it possible that the FIA is favoring Mercedes and is covering up something illegal in the car that can give them an unfair advantage? I notice that no matter what the rest do Mercedes is always two steps ahead. Many times we hear about loopholes and exploits but what if they are actually illegal and they say that they are using loopholes? Do we actually know that?

diffuser

Watch Sainz at the start. Starting on the clean side and running a lower DF setup, Fresh PU.

diffuser

Darth-Piekus wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 15:04
One thing that makes me wondering. Considering last year's scandal with Ferrari and the whole cover up, is it possible that the FIA is favoring Mercedes and is covering up something illegal in the car that can give them an unfair advantage? I notice that no matter what the rest do Mercedes is always two steps ahead. Many times we hear about loopholes and exploits but what if they are actually illegal and they say that they are using loopholes? Do we actually know that?
Don't forget the Ferrari thing was brought to FIA's attention by RBR.

Darth-Piekus

So what tells us that Mercedes might not have something illegal to give them an unfair advantage. I see Mclaren making strides every year and still we are so far from Mercedes like ages.

Not a good start from Norris. Lost two places but Sainz did an ok start.