[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Andres125sx

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Today while coming home from the job I´ve heard in the radio McLaren is running today with less power than yesterday, maybe testing race mode?

But they also said an interesting thing, McLaren is using a camber (or it was toe?) adjustment from the wheel. They said McLaren states it´s legal.

It was on a normal radio, not specialized in F1 or even sports, so not sure about their reliability, but the info was very specific so I guess they have someone on the track, or got info from someone on the track

mwillems

Andres125sx wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 18:54
Today while coming home from the job I´ve heard in the radio McLaren is running today with less power than yesterday, maybe testing race mode?

But they also said an interesting thing, McLaren is using a camber (or it was toe?) adjustment from the wheel. They said McLaren states it´s legal.

It was on a normal radio, not specialized in F1 or even sports, so not sure about their reliability, but the info was very specific so I guess they have someone on the track, or got info from someone on the track
Would be interesting, Merc are doing that so either we are doing it too, or they got the team names mixed up.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

JRindt

Andres125sx wrote:

Most likely they confused Mercedes with McLaren. If McLaren is also using the same system as Mercedes, I’d be truly astounded at the coincidence.

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

Andres125sx wrote:

That sounds like someone is confused and "McLaren" really meant "Mercedes."

By the way, the function it *seems* to modify is the toe-in of the front wheels. Straightens them out on the straight.

Sanchit f1fan
Sanchit f1fan

Balalu wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 18:34
Yesterday Siedl mentioned big upgrades for next week. Carlos hinted front end improvements. So let's give them some time. They do seem to have a very solid testing programme.
When and where did siedl says it's any links or info

Andres125sx

Ringleheim wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 19:05

That sounds like someone is confused and "McLaren" really meant "Mercedes."

By the way, the function it *seems* to modify is the toe-in of the front wheels. Straightens them out on the straight.
JRindt wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 18:59
Most likely they confused Mercedes with McLaren. If McLaren is also using the same system as Mercedes, I’d be truly astounded at the coincidence.
mwillems wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 18:59

Would be interesting, Merc are doing that so either we are doing it too, or they got the team names mixed up.

Probably my bad, I had doubts when hear it about if they were still talking about McLaren ( I was driving so was not focused on the radio), but since most media only talk about spanish drivers and teams with spanish drivers I assumed it was Mclaren.

Sorry for the mix-up :oops:

the EDGE
the EDGE

Sanchit f1fan wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 19:22
Balalu wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 18:34
Yesterday Siedl mentioned big upgrades for next week. Carlos hinted front end improvements. So let's give them some time. They do seem to have a very solid testing programme.
When and where did siedl says it's any links or info
On the Mclaren website it says there will be a new floor next week

f1rules
f1rules

Ibthink it was in amus or other german site seidl mentioned

PhillipM
PhillipM

I mentioned them on here last week.

Lucky
Lucky

The overall rating is positive. He admits that it is "one step ahead," but he has reservations. Carlos said he saw room for improvement in slow corners. Lando doesn't get that far in detail, but admits it's not the perfect car. The team has already said it will introduce many improvements before hostilities begin, so everything can change.

"There are many things that we can improve. The car has many new things. Many things have changed since last year and we are understanding them to try to improve in the face of Australia. It is fine, but it was not exultant with the car. There are things that I would like to improve for tomorrow and next week, but it is fine for a training day, "he said when getting out of the car.

"I don't know what times we did last year. If we compare it, there are some things that are a little better in handling and other things that feel a little worse. But that's what training weeks are for. I trust that in the end everything it looks better. It has gone well in terms of reliability, but there are always things you can improve. "

"I feel more comfortable in the car. It behaves a little differently, but in some things it is also similar to 2019. It is not the perfect car. There are many things we can improve for tomorrow, but I feel much more confident than the last season at this point. "

"It is a good step forward compared to last year. Aerodynamics in the morning and then long runs with a lot of fuel. Things that are not so much for the team, but are more for my piloting and my learning. It is the area where I have to improve more. By doing so, I can learn a lot. We have not rolled with little fuel. "

Norris has not entered to value the competitiveness of the Racing Point RP20, which is one of the sensations of the preseason. Some already refer to him as the ‘Pink Mercedes’, because of its similarity to the 2019 car. McLaren Briton explains that it makes little sense to lose energy before Australia.

"They are very fast. You see the times of the rest and they seem fast, but last year we thought the same thing and then, in the first race, we did much better than we expected. It depends on how much others want to play. We we focus on ourselves and fulfill our work program. "

Yes the Mercedes DAS has caught his attention, although there was still no time to find out how it works.

"I have seen it on television and for a moment it has been hard for me to know if what I was seeing was real. It is good to see things like that, to see that people still invent this kind of thing. We do not have it, so maybe it is something in what we can work on. We'll see. I don't know what it does. I'm sure it's there for a good reason. We're getting there, making small improvements and focusing on ourselves, which is the important thing. "
https://soymotor.com/noticias/lando-nor ... nes-974058

trinidefender
trinidefender

In the video of the McLaren, someone called Jarv was identified....looking similar to Andrew Jarvis who was Lando's race engineer in 2019. Supposedly he retired and Lando was getting a race engineer from HAAS. Did Jarvis stay on with McLaren?

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Like I observed so far. Slow speed definitely stands out as the weaker area. Hope they can make good gains over the next week with updates.

I sense we are in the middle of the midfield at the moment. The pink Mercedes and AT stand out. Actually the Renault looks really good in S3 too

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

trinidefender wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 21:53
In the video of the McLaren, someone called Jarv was identified....looking similar to Andrew Jarvis who was Lando's race engineer in 2019. Supposedly he retired and Lando was getting a race engineer from HAAS. Did Jarvis stay on with McLaren?
If you are talking about a LandoLog, I believe that it's Jarvis and that he was just around at that time of the year (perhaps holiday time) or he was just visiting. From what I gathered, Jarvis is going to work on McLaren IndyCar programme but I haven't seen that confirmed.

McL-H
McL-H

It’s early days and a lot can change in the upcoming weeks. But right now, it doesn’t seem like we have left the midfield and closed some of the gap to the top 3. In fact, it looks like we have fallen behind Mercedes junior and Red Bull junior. If so, we should forget about this season completely and lay focus on 2021 to build a solid base for all the years to come under the new regulations. Looking at the faces around the garages can tell you a lot. And the McLaren guys look as if a storm is coming. But again, it’s early days and maybe I’m already too far ahead, possibly we can turn things around once the guys gain a better understanding of the car’s characteristics.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

McL-H wrote:It’s early days and a lot can change in the upcoming weeks. But right now, it doesn’t seem like we have left the midfield and closed some of the gap to the top 3. In fact, it looks like we have fallen behind Mercedes junior and Red Bull junior. If so, we should forget about this season completely and lay focus on 2021 to build a solid base for all the years to come under the new regulations. Looking at the faces around the garages can tell you a lot. And the McLaren guys look as if a storm is coming. But again, it’s early days and maybe I’m already too far ahead, possibly we can turn things around once the guys gain a better understanding of the car’s characteristics.
It’s way too early to make any kind of assessment... The car is still the basic iteration of the MCL35, more parts are been tested on a daily basis and if the comments from Seidl are too be taken little “big changes” are expected for next week too.

I wouldn’t say that the MCL35, even in it’s actual form is way behind anyone else in the midfield... Lando’s comments today indicated that they were running with plenty of fuel and that they were constantly making setup changes.

Reliability and mileage are key at this stage of the season and the team is achieving those targets, next week when they move from correlation, setup and part testing into performance runs, we may have a better understanding of where the team is in the grid.

Been said that, no one expected them to join the fight with the top 3 this season, so a tight fight in the midfield was also part of the journey in 2020.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk