[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

diffuser wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 20:00
CjC wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 19:47
diffuser wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 19:42

Didn't they split the Renault's and finish ahead of both RP?
But Ricanult is 5th on the grid.....
We could still be P4 in the constructors this time tomorrow but Renault in P3 and RP P5...
You never know what will happen with retirements but pretty sure Ric will not finish ahead of Albon.

Worried about what's gonna happen with 11 and down with those cars starting on Mediums or Hards. Passing is hard so you need a gap to come out into on a tire change. Think the points will depend on where that gap is, when the gap happens, will there be cars on Hards going really deep and slower ahead of you.
Oh man it’s a bad day if hopes are being rested on Albon beating Ricanult :lol:

I too fear any hard runners going long.
Maybe the fact that the straight between the last corner and turn 2 is so long DRSing will be sufficient to overtake
Just a fan's point of view

diffuser

Looks like 1 of the 2 Renaults is starting from the pit lane (change of survival cell). it's unknown which one yet.

Pictures on the Renault forum of them wheeling a survival cell to Parc ferme.

Balalu
Balalu

At the MCL35 thread they are convinced it's the old wing and BB.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

diffuser

Balalu wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 02:06
At the MCL35 thread they are convinced it's the old wing and BB.
Yep, surprisingly. New BB, old wing...

The wing on the left.

Darth-Piekus

I wouldn't worry so much. The difference is miniscule to the point that there are circuits that suit our car and others that suit theirs. In any case it doesn't matter much where we end up because Mclaren should keep developing and making strides to reach Mercedes and not bother with the likes of Racing Point and Renault as these teams won't be able to follow since they don't have the same resources or personnel or facilities like Mclaren. Sooner or later we will be fighting Mercedes for the championship.

ScottR267
ScottR267

Darth-Piekus wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 12:57
I wouldn't worry so much. The difference is miniscule to the point that there are circuits that suit our car and others that suit theirs. In any case it doesn't matter much where we end up because Mclaren should keep developing and making strides to reach Mercedes and not bother with the likes of Racing Point and Renault as these teams won't be able to follow since they don't have the same resources or personnel or facilities like Mclaren. Sooner or later we will be fighting Mercedes for the championship.
I don’t mean to be rude but do you actually believe the stuff you say? To say that Renault especially do not have the same resources and facilities as McLaren is ridiculous!! They have invested massively since their return to F1 and are a works team. Racing Point may not have the facilities at present however they are building a new factory and Lawrence Stroll is pumping more money into them yearly.

Darth-Piekus

I do believe the stuff I say. How many times Renault was able to challenge for a championship and how many times Mclaren challenged it in their whole history? Mclaren was almost always a bigger team than Renault and Racing Point with more resources and of course the marvel that is called Paragon. The only teams at this point that would be able to challenge Mercedes is Red Bull, Ferrari and Mclaren. They are the biggest teams in F1 in terms of resources,history and facilities. I wouldn't call Red Bull big in history but they have the other two.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 01 Nov 2020, 13:54, edited 2 times in total.

diffuser

diffuser wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 22:27
Looks like 1 of the 2 Renaults is starting from the pit lane (change of survival cell). it's unknown which one yet.

Pictures on the Renault forum of them wheeling a survival cell to Parc ferme.
Think it was only a fresh PU. No penalty.

Emag
Emag

To be honest, I would say Renault's facilities are even more developed at the moment compared to McLaren. They are a massive motor company. The financial resources they have from their car division are substantial compared to McLaren automotive. The fact that their power unit is probably second best at worst this year is also a testament to how developed their engine facilities are as well. McLaren is developing at the moment so their factory is expected to receive some major upgrades in the short-term future. Nevertheless, you really can't say that McLaren is guaranteed to come ahead from 2022 and onwards (at least from the midfield teams) because Renault especially but even RacingPoint are not as "underdeveloped" as people may think.

Darth-Piekus

Nothing is guaranteed in F1 that is why I said that they should keep developing to surpass Mercedes as they have set the bar. F1 is cruel if you don't follow the train of development and Mclaren lost it at some point and we all know how hard is to catch it. While Renault and Racing Point are not as underdeveloped as people think they are no match against a normal Mclaren that is actually working well cause let's be honest. Mclaren are not themselves these last 7 years. They are trying to become that F1 Giant again.

Remains to be seen if they manage it. I have confidence.

ScottR267
ScottR267

Darth-Piekus wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 13:49
I do believe the stuff I say. How many times Renault was able to challenge for a championship and how many times Mclaren challenged it in their whole history? Mclaren was almost always a bigger team than Renault and Racing Point with more resources and of course the marvel that is called Paragon. The only teams at this point that would be able to challenge Mercedes is Red Bull, Ferrari and Mclaren. They are the biggest teams in F1 in terms of resources,history and facilities. I wouldn't call Red Bull big in history but they have the other two.
The same Renault name and brand which has won more championships than McLaren has in the last 20 years and this from a McLaren fan? Historically McLaren in the early 00’s had the same or very similar budget to Ferrari and look how that’s spiralled. You can’t look at history and just assume it will continue!

CjC
CjC

ScottR267 wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 13:24
Darth-Piekus wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 12:57
I don’t mean to be rude but do you actually believe the stuff you say? To say that Renault especially do not have the same resources and facilities as McLaren is ridiculous!! They have invested massively since their return to F1 and are a works team. Racing Point may not have the facilities at present however they are building a new factory and Lawrence Stroll is pumping more money into them yearly.
I agree with this. Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull and Renault are the biggest teams on the grid. Mclaren are investing heavily to probably stay ahead of Racing point in terms of ‘facilities’ and I believe Racing Point will nudge ahead of us with facilities because they started their investment soon than Mclaren.

The fact that Mclaren beat Renault last season was a humiliation for Renault but they are showing their fire power and might this season- arguably being the third quickest team.

To Darth-Piekus
This wonderful paragon you speak of... Mclaren want to sell it as it’s $200million sat in dead money....
Just a fan's point of view

Darth-Piekus

ScottR267 wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 14:06
Darth-Piekus wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 13:49
The same Renault name and brand which has won more championships than McLaren has in the last 20 years and this from a McLaren fan? Historically McLaren in the early 00’s had the same or very similar budget to Ferrari and look how that’s spiralled. You can’t look at history and just assume it will continue!
Let me correct you. Renault as a team has won only 2 championships in 2005 and 2006 and that's it. All the rest are the championships of Williams, Benneton and Red Bull unless you want to claim that every Mclaren championship belongs to the Mercedes since they provided the engine.Mclaren as a team has 8 constructors and 11 titles as a team. I can't assume everything will stay the same since F1 demands constant development but history sometimes repeats itself.

As for the Paragon they are not selling it. They are investing it to get more money. The fact doesn't change that is a wonder of technology. I think people are overestimating Renault and Racing Point. In any case we should keep pushing for first place.

Darth-Piekus

Now though is not the time to argue who has it bigger but for Imola. What are they trying to do with Sainz?

chrisgr
chrisgr

Sainz on mediums. Probably 2-stop strategy.. or a miracle? All the others are goings for hards. A pit stop costs a lot in this track.