[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Lucky
Lucky

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

billamend
billamend

blastdoman wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 11:31
Lando has to urgently improve his starts on wet tarmac. In Hungary, also on wet tarmac, he was stuck at the start, losing many positions as yesterday. Yesterday's start was indecent for a pilot of his talent.
I don't disagree, it's clearly his achilles heel, but we should consider that he has been starting on the dirty side the last 3/4 races.

chrisgr
chrisgr

blastdoman wrote:
Lando has to urgently improve his starts on wet tarmac. In Hungary, also on wet tarmac, he was stuck at the start, losing many positions as yesterday. Yesterday's start was indecent for a pilot of his talent.
Yesterday, most of the drivers that werent starting from the racing line had terrible starts. Both Redbulls. All those in even places.2,4,6,...14.

_cerber1

Full control

Lucky
Lucky

Lucky
Lucky

_cerber1

Big Tea

_cerber1 wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 19:02
Strange. With the way things are now, my first thoughts were on engine use :o
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

diffuser

bauc wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 09:53
ThePapayaJaguar wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 08:17
PhillipM wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 06:21
Honestly the tires fired up so well they could have been a lot further up the order today - they just struggled to get through the traffic - qualifying hurt them a lot, Carlos had enough pace to contend for a podium.
Yeah, I believe Carlos was definitely in contention for a podium. I think Carlos was within about 2 seconds to Seb with like 15 laps to go, but something happened and he fell back to about 4 seconds.
I guess he made a mistake somewhere but we did not saw it on the live coverage

They are awful on Carlos Coverage.

diffuser

PhillipM wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 07:39
It was great from like lap 10 you just couldn't see it because both Mclarens were on the gearbox of the cars in front for 20 laps.
Yeah, tough track to pass on in good conditions. If it would have been a dry race, we would have been f'd.

diffuser

chrisgr wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 12:58
blastdoman wrote:
Yesterday, most of the drivers that werent starting from the racing line had terrible starts. Both Redbulls. All those in even places.2,4,6,...14.
His starts aren't a problem so much as his race craft in traffic. He tends to be overly cautious. I'm undecided, if that's a problem or not. In the long run, if it isn't resolved, it will be. For now, he sticking fairly close to Sainz. I think he's doing enough to be happy with him.

I've said this before ...Next year will be interesting with Ric coming over. I'm not expecting much of a difference between Sainz and Ric. I'm expecting that by the end of the year, point and Quali ratio differences between Ric and Norris will be similliar to Sainz/Norris this year.

McG

I'm not seeing anything to complain about with Sainz or Norris on a fundamental level. Everyone makes mistakes during a season and those 2 aren't any different. Some lost places at the start, a crash here and there. Even Hamilton has his bad moments. They are doing a superb job.

Next season will be very telling with their new teammates as to how great they are. Although we will have to give Ricciardo and Sainz some slack to settle in at their new teams.
F1 is dead.

Jackles-UK

diffuser wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 22:51
... His starts aren't a problem so much as his race craft in traffic. He tends to be overly cautious. I'm undecided, if that's a problem or not. In the long run, if it isn't resolved, it will be ...
Last year I would’ve definitely agreed with you but this season we have definitely seen a more aggressive approach in wheel to wheel racing without him getting into some of the stupid, unnecessary squabbles you see the likes of Stroll, Ocon, even Verstappen get into on occasions. I think of the moves on Russell this weekend and on Perez back in Austria in particular - he knew both of those moves were absolutely critical and got them done with a degree of forcefulness without being silly and causing an accident.

diffuser

Jackles-UK wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 03:32
diffuser wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 22:51
... His starts aren't a problem so much as his race craft in traffic. He tends to be overly cautious. I'm undecided, if that's a problem or not. In the long run, if it isn't resolved, it will be ...
Last year I would’ve definitely agreed with you but this season we have definitely seen a more aggressive approach in wheel to wheel racing without him getting into some of the stupid, unnecessary squabbles you see the likes of Stroll, Ocon, even Verstappen get into on occasions. I think of the moves on Russell this weekend and on Perez back in Austria in particular - he knew both of those moves were absolutely critical and got them done with a degree of forcefulness without being silly and causing an accident.
I would agree with that. There is still a significant gap between him and Sainz in race craft.

Andres125sx

Great recovery from Sainz, from p15 to p5!! =D> =D>

Norris fast lap was impressive too, despite his really poor start (again)

Damage limitation at its best after Saturday results. Will be difficult to beat RP tough, I was expecting them to fall down during the season, but they're actually improving!