[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
tangodjango
tangodjango

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

diffuser wrote:
27 Dec 2020, 16:21
tangodjango wrote:
27 Dec 2020, 12:02
kfrantzios wrote:
27 Dec 2020, 11:45

Just don't pay any attention to hp numbers. They are never backed by evidence. Pure speculation.
To be fair it was clear in hindsight the qualifying mode was giving Mercedes atleast upto 0.3 of a second depending on the track. That does map somewhat to the numbers given that they had a peak 20-30 bhp advantage, now probably the comparative position of the others are up for debate apart from Ferrari being last
I find most of the news around this time to sound like propaganda. So I agree with kfrantzios.
I agree with respect to the quoted figures but it's not unreasonable to conclude that in q3 with quali mode Mercedes had a 20-30 bhp advantage, maybe less maybe more. Assuming 10 hp means around 0.1 seconds on most circuits. (Again an approximation)
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

JRindt

kfrantzios wrote:
Lucky wrote:
27 Dec 2020, 06:17
Similarly, the first tests carried out at the Brixworth factory on the EQ Power + 2021 power unit have also reported good news for the seven-time champions. Thanks to the use of innovative materials and fuels by the department led by Hywel Thomas, the new silver arrow will be 25 horses more powerful in 2021 without compromising its reliability.

A remarkable development that will surely allow the Germans to keep the forefront in this section next year, as it should be remembered that during qualifying for the Styrian GP 2020 some reports indicated that Mercedes had an advantage of 28 horsepower over Honda, 37 on Renault and 42 on Ferrari.
https://as.com/motor/2020/12/26/formula ... 19759.html
Just don't pay any attention to hp numbers. They are never backed by evidence. Pure speculation.
Yup. I really have no idea why all these figures consistently put Honda 10-15 hp above Renault, when their respective Monza performances for the last 2 years have been opposite. At the very least, they must be equal #-o

Before anybody throws Gasly win at me, please look at the quali results

McFAN
McFAN

Darth-Piekus

I can't wait for the next year to start and curious to see if we are gonna put resources on next year since all cars will be reset for 2022.

diffuser

Darth-Piekus wrote:
28 Dec 2020, 22:39
I can't wait for the next year to start and curious to see if we are gonna put resources on next year since all cars will be reset for 2022.
Still a long way till the 1st test day on March 2nd. ..63 days, 2 months.

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
27 Dec 2020, 16:21
tangodjango wrote:
27 Dec 2020, 12:02
kfrantzios wrote:

To be fair it was clear in hindsight the qualifying mode was giving Mercedes atleast upto 0.3 of a second depending on the track. That does map somewhat to the numbers given that they had a peak 20-30 bhp advantage, now probably the comparative position of the others are up for debate apart from Ferrari being last
I find most of the news around this time to sound like propaganda. So I agree with kfrantzios.
Zak brown also declared that the Merc engine was more powerful when talking about performance gains around the tokens, so whilst the numbers are not substantiated, the fact there is a tangible gain probably is.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mclaren111

Darth-Piekus wrote:
28 Dec 2020, 22:39

Same here... Thankfully time flies with all the sh*t happening around the world and trying to keep up with it all...

If they start well like this year, I think they'll develop MCL35M only until Spain with minor upgrades for rest of season...

2022 Is just too important to waste resources on 2021...

_cerber1

Darth-Piekus

Long are the days where some ridiculed Mclaren forgetting the F1 Giant that they always were. We are now on the right way to restore the natural order and the King of Kings to sit back to it's throne. Where the first is first and the rest are breakfast. I can't wait the moment when we repeat another performance like in the 80s and the late 90s

Balalu
Balalu

Any news on the wind tunnel?

McLaren's biggest feat of 2020 was their dual development campaign 2020-2021, which compromised their 2020 one, and yet still were able to stay competitive and clinch 3rd in the end.

Rival teams optimised their cars, but I bet McLaren can still get more out of theirs.

So unless there are nasty surprises, next year should be at least very interesting.
Last edited by Balalu on 30 Dec 2020, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Decent article, though I’ve always thought his (the writer of above article) Friday practice analysis on qualifying and race pace is usually off the mark and flawed.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Balalu wrote:
29 Dec 2020, 22:40

McLaren's biggest feat of 2020 was their dual development campaign 2020-2021, which comprised their 2020 one, and yet still were able to stay competitive and clinch 3rd in the end.

Rival teams optimised their cars, but I bet McLaren can still get more out of theirs.

So unless there are nasty surprises, next year should be at least very interesting.
Exactly, Key hinted they could have done a bit more with the new nose in terms of R&D if not for the deadline, it had to go on the car by 30th September. So there should still be a bit more to come in that area, which of course has a strong relation with the new front wing, barge boards etc.

EDIT: The wind tunnel program should be back online, though now way behind schedule. I’m not sure when it’s due to be completed.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Ground Effect wrote:
30 Dec 2020, 07:09
Balalu wrote:

McLaren's biggest feat of 2020 was their dual development campaign 2020-2021, which comprised their 2020 one, and yet still were able to stay competitive and clinch 3rd in the end.

Exactly, Key hinted they could have done a bit more with the new nose in terms of R&D if not for the deadline, it had to go on the car by 30th September. So there should still be a bit more to come in that area, which of course has a strong relation with the new front wing, barge boards etc.

EDIT: The wind tunnel program should be back online, though now way behind schedule. I’m not sure when it’s due to be completed.
Of course the structural part of the nose can not be altered now, however there is opportunity for the fairings to be altered. I’m not sure what part key was referring too, let’s hope it’s the latter.

I’m also hoping that with the new investment the wind tunnel project can be sped up. Originally it was due to come online sometime in the middle of 2021. They stopped worked in March and restarted around August which is a 5 month delay although they said the project was about a year behind schedule.

Perhaps they can have this completed by early 2022 which although too late for the design of the new era of cars, would at least allow them to utilise it for the in-season development

What I can be sure of is that McLaren will want it ready as soon as possible. Of course the wind tunnel is only one part of the infrastructure project, they are also updating the CFD systems and the simulator, I guess there will have to be a balance of expenditure here so we will have to wait & see

Ive heard it said that the extra income from finishing 3rd will also be a boost, however with the huge loss of income FOM have suffered this year I expect the teams to receive probably less than half the prize money they would have otherwise received, so yes more for finishing 3rd, but sadly a big loss none the less

mwillems

the EDGE wrote:
30 Dec 2020, 10:36
Ground Effect wrote:
Balalu wrote:

Of course the structural part of the nose can not be altered now, however there is opportunity for the fairings to be altered. I’m not sure what part key was referring too, let’s hope it’s the latter.

I’m also hoping that with the new investment the wind tunnel project can be sped up. Originally it was due to come online sometime in the middle of 2021. They stopped worked in March and restarted around August which is a 5 month delay although they said the project was about a year behind schedule.

Perhaps they can have this completed by early 2022 which although too late for the design of the new era of cars, would at least allow them to utilise it for the in-season development

What I can be sure of is that McLaren will want it ready as soon as possible. Of course the wind tunnel is only one part of the infrastructure project, they are also updating the CFD systems and the simulator, I guess there will have to be a balance of expenditure here so we will have to wait & see

Ive heard it said that the extra income from finishing 3rd will also be a boost, however with the huge loss of income FOM have suffered this year I expect the teams to receive probably less than half the prize money they would have otherwise received, so yes more for finishing 3rd, but sadly a big loss none the less
We will also have a loss of income from sponsors as the calendar was shortened, however, the move up to 3rd in the championship might hopefully have softened that blow with some sponsor bonus payments.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

ScottR267
ScottR267

mwillems wrote:
30 Dec 2020, 12:17
the EDGE wrote:
30 Dec 2020, 10:36
Ground Effect wrote:

We will also have a loss of income from sponsors as the calendar was shortened, however, the move up to 3rd in the championship might hopefully have softened that blow with some sponsor bonus payments.
You’d also suspect that there would be a loss of sponsors and hopefully and probable given Zak’s record of further sponsors coming in! Estrella will be off given they’re Sainz’s personal sponsor but not sure of any others as of yet!