[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
geogate
geogate

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

I dont think there is anything "bad" about the wind tunnel currently used (Toyota). It's just of an older generation now, with less functionality than the modern breed.
The simulator, the major structural work starts soon, within weeks - I would guess intended to be commissioned by early winter. I would have said sooner, but from what little i know of it, it's a huge project

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

geogate wrote:I dont think there is anything "bad" about the wind tunnel currently used (Toyota). It's just of an older generation now, with less functionality than the modern breed.
The simulator, the major structural work starts soon, within weeks - I would guess intended to be commissioned by early winter. I would have said sooner, but from what little i know of it, it's a huge project
They used the Toyota one because the one at the MTC needs to be updated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Does anybody know if McLaren, and by extension Renault used a single PU each week?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Ground Effect wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 11:28
Does anybody know if McLaren, and by extension Renault used a single PU each week?
Yes they did, I’ll try to find the quote

“We initially concentrated on assessing the main characteristics of our package and determining reliability levels across chassis and engine, before working through different set-up options with some ideas proving interesting and others not. We can be very pleased with the reliability of the engine with one power unit being used for each us and our customer, McLaren, throughout the six days.”

https://www.racefans.net/2020/02/29/wha ... the-teams/

geogate
geogate

SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 08:40
geogate wrote:I dont think there is anything "bad" about the wind tunnel currently used (Toyota). It's just of an older generation now, with less functionality than the modern breed.
They used the Toyota one because the one at the MTC needs to be updated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
they have been using the Toyota one for the last 10 years, the Mclaren one was obsolete for F1 pretty much out of the box. They are updating now cos the Toyota one is not up to date, and the budget cap meaning they need to do major capital expenditure now.

JRindt

I got this pic from reddit

It’s clear as daylight that McLaren is sandbagging. McLaren’s curve flattens before the braking zones, compared to the other 3 teams. They are either lifting off before corners or using lower engine modes or both.

Best times on C3

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

the EDGE wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 11:32
Ground Effect wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 11:28
Yes they did, I’ll try to find the quote

“We initially concentrated on assessing the main characteristics of our package and determining reliability levels across chassis and engine, before working through different set-up options with some ideas proving interesting and others not. We can be very pleased with the reliability of the engine with one power unit being used for each us and our customer, McLaren, throughout the six days.”

https://www.racefans.net/2020/02/29/wha ... the-teams/
That’s mighty impressive! Based on this, it’s very likely they were on reduced power, as was everybody else. Ferrari have said their 2020 engine is not as “strong” as last year, Mercedes look a bit fragile. So hopefully, Renault have done the smartest thing concentrating solely on reliability, so it’s not all doom and gloom on the PU front. It’s ironic that Renault and Honda has no engine issues during the test.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

JRindt wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 11:55

It’s clear as daylight that McLaren is sandbagging. McLaren’s curve flattens before the braking zones, compared to the other 3 teams. They are either lifting off before corners or using lower engine modes or both.

Best times on C3
Great comparison. I'd say that Mercedes is on low power or alternatively running a downforce heavy setup. They are losing a lot of time on the straights compared to a Racing Point. They probably have a lot of performance held back.

McLaren line is a really interesting one, it sure looks like it is a lift before several of the corners. You don't get those flat speed lines if you are not easing off the throttle. By my eyeball measurement, there was about 0.4s of lift on that lap. On engine power, we are losing time compared to Red Bull on the main straight, it can either be that McLaren is running lower power, Renault is less powerful or Red Bull has less drag.

I don't think Racing Point is holding back anything. One could even say "glory runs".

Carlen
Carlen

FittingMechanics wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 12:29
JRindt wrote:

Best times on C3
Great comparison. I'd say that Mercedes is on low power or alternatively running a downforce heavy setup. They are losing a lot of time on the straights compared to a Racing Point. They probably have a lot of performance held back.

McLaren line is a really interesting one, it sure looks like it is a lift before several of the corners. You don't get those flat speed lines if you are not easing off the throttle. By my eyeball measurement, there was about 0.4s of lift on that lap. On engine power, we are losing time compared to Red Bull on the main straight, it can either be that McLaren is running lower power, Renault is less powerful or Red Bull has less drag.

I don't think Racing Point is holding back anything. One could even say "glory runs".
I think the level of drag of Red Bull and Mclaren are approximately equal; most likely the power of Renault PU was limited and we also have to take into account that this season Renault focused on reliability

PowerandtheGlory
PowerandtheGlory

Carlen wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 12:54
FittingMechanics wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 12:29
JRindt wrote:

Best times on C3

I think the level of drag of Red Bull and Mclaren are approximately equal; most likely the power of Renault PU was limited and we also have to take into account that this season Renault focused on reliability
Engine wise- they may have a mode they can go up too- on Ricc’s fastest lap with DRS he hit 314kph. Which is pretty decent speed wise. So unless mclaren were sandbagging, theur car might be draggy
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

diffuser

Nothing like looking at race weekend results to start telling the story.

Carlen
Carlen

Andy Green banter McLaren, says they themselves know that they have not made progress, so they are angry with us.😏

_cerber1

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Anyone else having issues with the McLaren App?

cbbcisace
cbbcisace

Ground Effect wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 15:31
Anyone else having issues with the McLaren App?
Seems okay for me just now...