[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mansell89
Mansell89

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

EddyBaggio wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 21:46
Mansell89 wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 20:09
The team who needs Seb the most ironically is Red Bull racing. A quick, experienced WDC driver to pair with their rocket youngster Max would be the obvious way to go if they are chasing Constructors Titles.

Personally I think the only change at McLaren will be if Lando doesn’t quite kick on but with time on his side he could come back, he is so young.

Dan Ricciardo would be the only one who could join, add speed but also enjoy a battle with another great racer in Carlos Sainz. I think that’s my dream pair if Lando doesn’t become a star, but let’s see!
Maybe Ric is better for marketing and so on, but Seb is by far a better racing driver. Give him a clear No1 driver spot and a good car and McL will fight for podiums on a more regular basis...thats what I think :) you are for sure entitled to think diffrent :)
Eddy that’s what’s great about chatting all things motorsport- if we all thought the same it would be boring! :)

Completely respect your views and hey let’s face it Seb is a 4 x WDC so you got stats to support ;)

Sainz deserves full equal status and therefore I’d rather have a racer in Ricciardo than a number 1 like Seb.

That said best of luck to both Lando and Carlos and I hope they do brilliant things. Really interested to see how Lando and George Russell go over the next few years, two cracking drivers and fun personalities.

diffuser

Macklaren wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 19:06
I think bringing Seb in will be a dumb move. Will cost a lot more $$ without more speed. I'd rather keep the current pairing and focus on getting a good third driver. The only reason I'd break up the Carlos-Lando pairing is if Lewis wants to come back "home" to McL to finish his career
Agreed, why would we bring him in instead of ALonso? :)

the EDGE
the EDGE

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

EddyBaggio wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 21:46
Mansell89 wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 20:09
The team who needs Seb the most ironically is Red Bull racing. A quick, experienced WDC driver to pair with their rocket youngster Max would be the obvious way to go if they are chasing Constructors Titles.

Personally I think the only change at McLaren will be if Lando doesn’t quite kick on but with time on his side he could come back, he is so young.

Dan Ricciardo would be the only one who could join, add speed but also enjoy a battle with another great racer in Carlos Sainz. I think that’s my dream pair if Lando doesn’t become a star, but let’s see!
Maybe Ric is better for marketing and so on, but Seb is by far a better racing driver. Give him a clear No1 driver spot and a good car and McL will fight for podiums on a more regular basis...thats what I think :) you are for sure entitled to think diffrent :)
I think the fact that Seb needs a clear nbr 1 spot proves he isn’t that great anymore. He was great in a vastly superior car, with a vastly inferior team mate. But the moment a young upcoming driver is put next to him, he gets trounced, without any clear favouritism, just equal treatment. I mean, he’s only beaten Mark Webber and an aging Kimi when next to him. I don’t think he’s what McLaren need, he wouldn’t even fit with the new McLaren environment, dude doesn’t even have a Twitter account.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Emag
Emag

So you don't hire a driver because he doesn't have twitter? What kind of bullshit is that.

And you have to have a personal grudge to not appreciate his skill as a driver. He has been prone to mistakes these last couple of years, but you can't deny his speed.

It's true he lost out to Charles last season, but Charles is an exceptional talent and besides, you could argue Sebastian was slightly better than him on race-pace.

I am certain McLaren will not turn him down if he makes himself available (and one of the current drivers doesn't deliver this year. If both perform great I don't think it would be fair to them.)

Andres125sx

IMHO that rumour only helps Seb, as Ferrari is more than happy with Charles (a faster driver with lower paycheck) so Seb future in F1 is in danger and McLaren may be a good option as a future title contender.

Problem is his paycheck now looks probably bigger than his talent, wich is big, but his paycheck is even bigger

the EDGE
the EDGE

Com'on people, these Seb rumors were obviously started by his manager, there is no truth in them at all. Its contract negotiation time and there has to be an option on the table for him. No manager in his, or on this occasion her own mind would enters talks without options. Seb will stay at Ferrari, McLaren will not changes drivers, I mean they already have Nando as an option but have even told him there is no space in the F1 team... why would they? they have great drivers who fit then team well, right now its a decent car they need not a fuss about haveing a washed-up ex-world champ

trinidefender
trinidefender

Option A. Keep two promising drivers that are early on in their careers and currently contracted at a reasonable cost (together they probably cost less than Seb by himself, not even including Sainz bringing estrella Galicia). Both of which get along with each other and know that they need to work together to improve the car and team. Lastly, both of which seem highly marketable and one that gets a large chunk of his salary from his own sponsorship that he brings with him to the team.

Option B. Lose one them for Seb. Lose the marketability. Likely lose some of the team dynamic including a feeling, even if not contractually there, of there being a No.1 and a No.2. Maybe gain something in car development but again, unlikely to work with teammate as much as the current pairing to improve the car. Probably gain a bit in race pace and tire management, how much is debatable. Probably cost more in building parts for crashed cars (Lando and Carlos were very good last year at not making the team have to produce excess parts due to crashing).

Personally I know which option I would take with what information I currently have.

Edit: also lose Sainz sponsorship if he would be the one to go.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

So F1 teams looking to push planned 2021 changes till 2022. Most of the teams are in agreement, Ferrari need some time to think about it. Which means we’re looking at stable rules for 2021, with McLaren, switching to Mercedes power. I think that will be good for when the new rules eventually kick in, to have experience with integration.

Edit: Article https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/2021 ... g/4770373/
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:So F1 teams looking to push planned 2021 changes till 2022. Most of the teams are in agreement, Ferrari need some time to think about it. Which means we’re looking at stable rules for 2021, with McLaren, switching to Mercedes power. I think that will be good for when the new rules eventually kick in, to have experience with integration.

It will be interesting if that goes ahead... Been able to test the Mclaren with similar / same regulations and 2 different PU’s might be a very unique situation in F1.

Also, if the field does get closer this year as some predict, it would only mean that it should get even closer in 2021...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

diffuser

I think it would be good. The budget constraints go into effect next year as scheduled then they build the new car after that ....

mclaren111

The Coronavirus might be the blessing in disguise that can save F1 if these changes are allowed to go ahead as mentioned...

Andres125sx

Ground Effect wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 19:56
So F1 teams looking to push planned 2021 changes till 2022. Most of the teams are in agreement, Ferrari need some time to think about it. Which means we’re looking at stable rules for 2021, with McLaren, switching to Mercedes power. I think that will be good for when the new rules eventually kick in, to have experience with integration.

Don´t like it!

2020 was going to be a transition year with not so much interesting things to look at, Mercedes will lead the grid again, they´ll win two more titles with very little if any opposition, Ferrari and RBR will continue as the other two top teams, and then the rest of the field...

I´m eager to see 2021 rules coming in, one more transition year will be boring to me, and will make it too easy for Lewis to beat the 7 titles of the Kaiser

NiyolHuayra
NiyolHuayra

Ground Effect wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 19:56

Not such a bad idea, to take F1 into new era with an additional step. But they must enforce budget cap for 2021.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Now that is official that the regulations will remain the same for 2021... It will be interesting to see if there is a big difference for the team going from the Renault PU to the Mercedes PU next year...

This may be also positive since they will have a full year to understand the implications of integrating the Mercedes PU before the new regulations take place and better design their 2021 car around it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk