[ 2020 ] Racing Point F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: [ 2020 ] Racing Point F1 Team - Mercedes

I know it is waaay out there, but would it be possible to split one car? Seb in one and the other two alternately in the other. I know they can use 3 drivers, but can they switch alternatavly?
Otherwise, If a top 3 endgame looks out of sight for Seb by half way, one driver for the first 3 or 4 months then the other driver 3 months in each car

Stupid I know, but looking at alternatives that may allow Lance to be the one moved.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

NAPI10
NAPI10

bill shoe wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 06:06
Rumors are that Vettel has been offered a contract by RP starting next year, and further details of the offered contract are unknown. RP has given Vettel a deadline of July 31 to sign the contract, because they can't legally end Perez's contract after July 31. Yes, it's obviously crazy that Perez is on the chopping block rather than Stroll.

Seems like straight-forward situation for Vettel. But... maybe Vettel is waiting to see the outcome of the Renault protest against RP. If RP lose then they will become a much less attractive proposition to a driver like Vettel. So I figure any flurry of driver contract announcements will only come after the FIA stewards announce the result of the protest against RP.
Agree....It seems Vettel is waiting for Renault's protest outcome. He seems to be worried about the brand image more than the car package.
I would love to see 'Vettel/Perez' pair in Aston Martin colors but 'Vettel/Lance' combo won't be that bad. Lance showing signs of improvement(based on last 3 races) & Vettel need a partner whom he can dominate to get back his mojo.

Wynters
Wynters

Were I in Racing Point's shoes, I'd go for Vettel and speak to Mercedes about Russell. I think Mercedes would be pretty keen to put Russell in that seat so I could negotiate some financial edge from them. Russell would want to move up the field and the chance to learn from Vettel would be priceless and, from RPs point of view, what a driver line up.

Obviously it's bad news for Lance but he's old enough to sink or swim on his 'own' by now, isn't he?

diffuser

bill shoe wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 06:06
Rumors are that Vettel has been offered a contract by RP starting next year, and further details of the offered contract are unknown. RP has given Vettel a deadline of July 31 to sign the contract, because they can't legally end Perez's contract after July 31. Yes, it's obviously crazy that Perez is on the chopping block rather than Stroll.

Seems like straight-forward situation for Vettel. But... maybe Vettel is waiting to see the outcome of the Renault protest against RP. If RP lose then they will become a much less attractive proposition to a driver like Vettel. So I figure any flurry of driver contract announcements will only come after the FIA stewards announce the result of the protest against RP.
Define crazy? Choose some over your son for the same job? Chosing someone over yourself for the same job? Choosing a non Canadian over a Canadian on a Canadian team? Choosing someone over you son, the reason you got into the sport in the first place? Define crazy?

Face it, this is a vehicle for Stroll from Stroll. Without stroll, there is no RP.

JordanMugen

Manoah2u wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 13:21
Again, imagine the pinks having a top-tier driver (Hamilton/Vettel/Verstappen/Alonso).
I wouldn't put Vettel in the same tier as those. Vettel got beaten handily by Ricciardo and substantially by Leclerc too.

Red Bull don't want Vettel because they know he can't cope with corner entry oversteer, which their car has. Why should Racing Point replace team leader Perez who brings sponsorship for expensive Vettel, it doesn't make sense!

Xero

cheeRS
cheeRS

...And the smear campaign begins. You heard it here first.

Just like with the several media articles highlighting how poor of a driver Albon is, etc.
🤭 wrote:
“Being the 'most successful statistically' has nothing to do with being the 'best'. neither when it comes to the cars, nor when it comes to the drivers” 😂

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Checo won’t race this week and possibly won’t race next one either... This isn’t great timing for RP to have to get a reserve driver in when they have great options for big points

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the EDGE
the EDGE

SmallSoldier wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 21:18
Checo won’t race this week and possibly won’t race next one either... This isn’t great timing for RP to have to get a reserve driver in when they have great options for big points

it was previously reported that PM would be using Mercedes reserve drivers this season if required (no surprise there!)

This will be either Stoffel Vandoorne or Esteban Gutierrez

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

the EDGE wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 21:18

it was previously reported that PM would be using Mercedes reserve drivers this season if required (no surprise there!)

This will be either Stoffel Vandoorne or Esteban Gutierrez
It won’t be Vandoorne because he already has a commitment with FE for the next 3 weekends (end of season)... Gutierrez is a possibility and read on Twitter that he was already on his way to the circuit... There are rumors that Hulk could potentially also be called to drive the car, but that’s a long shot if he isn’t already in the UK right now.

NAPI10
NAPI10

What a shitty luck 'Perez' is going through :( :( :(
Great car to demonstrate his potential & he is having some or other issues in every race. Tragedy for RP to miss lead driver for 2 races.

Mattchu

Perez has actually tested positive for Covid 19 after a second test [the first was inconclusive]. Can`t see him racing for a while!

Code: Select all

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/12039073/sergio-perez-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-and-misses-british-gp
Hopefully no other member of the team tests positive although I`m sure they`ve been tested by now and come back OK. It`s a shame really, I thought Perez would do well at Siverstone, hopefully he`ll make a full recovery.

It certainly shows we are nowhere near out of the woods with regards to this pandemic yet.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

NAPI10 wrote:What a shitty luck 'Perez' is going through :( :( :(
Great car to demonstrate his potential & he is having some or other issues in every race. Tragedy for RP to miss lead driver for 2 races.
That’s probably the worst part for them... I would expect anyone jumping in the car to be as fast or slower than Stroll and so far Checo has been faster than Stroll.

This does play in the hands of the rest of the field, with an expected good performance from Racing point (either P3-P4 or P5-P6, now it will be easier for the rest of the grid to try and slot themselves at least in between their cars.

Tomorrow’s practice will be interesting, with teams such as Mclaren bringing new aero parts to the circuit, we may see an interesting fight at the top of the midfield.

Shrieker

SmallSoldier wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 21:47
There are rumors that Hulk could potentially also be called to drive the car, but that’s a long shot if he isn’t already in the UK right now.
He is clearly the best out of those mentioned. Flying him in would not really be a problem.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

ispano6

Shrieker wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 22:08
SmallSoldier wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 21:47
There are rumors that Hulk could potentially also be called to drive the car, but that’s a long shot if he isn’t already in the UK right now.
He is clearly the best out of those mentioned. Flying him in would not really be a problem.
It would be pretty awesome if he got his first podium in a pink suit powered by Mercedes and at his old team.