[ 2020 ] Racing Point F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Juzh

Re: [ 2020 ] Racing Point F1 Team - Mercedes

Lets not forget HAAS cars these last few years were very similar to past ferraris and were often not very competitive, so simply copying one's car does not seem to grant you instant speed. That said I hope this approach works out for RP to fight at the top of midfield even if I don't believe they stand a chance against top 3 teams. If it were as easy as simply doing a 1/1 copy and run at the frunt then everyone would do it, especially RB/TR alliance.

dren

The HAAS cars were somewhat competitive at the start of the season for a few seasons, though. The drivers and reliability found a way to squander early season opportunity. They fell off as other teams out developed them over the seasons.
Honda!

El Scorchio

Re: Racing Point RP20

f1rules wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 14:49
and im not the only it seems
The irony meter will probably explode if it's anyone from Ferrari, RB, Haas, AR or AT complaining.
Maybe Renault and McLaren along with Williams would/should have legitimate concerns.

NAPI10

As I predicted earlier, it’s a brilliant move by RP to copy W10 in 2020 –
a. It’s a final year with a current set of rules.
b.RP is not looking for winning championship. All they want this year to top midfield battle & few podium finishes to launch branding exercise for ‘Aston Martin Racing’.
c.RP is already using Merc Engine, Power Train & Wind Tunnel so adopting Merc design should be smoother (off Corse with lot of help from Merc).
d.Except for the top 3, no other team is going to develop 2020 cars thought the season or they will suffer 2021 campaign. This will help RP to focus on 2021 early.
All this will work for RP if (and it’s a big If) they can understand how to set-up this incredibly complex design or it will be a disastrous season for them. Anyways, it’s a risk worth taking in 2020.

Francesc

Re: Racing Point PR20

PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 12:01
Diesel wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 10:18
That is the W10... what the hell!?

The nose, the sidepids, the airbox... they didn't even try to make it look different :wtf:
Lawerence Stroll businessman instincts shining through. Hass business model being followed.
This more than the Haas model. This is too much. I hope they suck.

Juzh

dren wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 17:22
The HAAS cars were somewhat competitive at the start of the season for a few seasons, though. The drivers and reliability found a way to squander early season opportunity. They fell off as other teams out developed them over the seasons.
They were yes, but fall-off was quite dramatic. And yeah, about their drivers... let's not even go there.

Racer X

Question for everyone If we go ahead and assume Racing Point just copied to fast track their development of this years car. So if we just assume they did not sit and scan and create their own car *Inspired by the W10* but rather they just out right got a copy of all of it from Mercedes.

*QUESTION:* Do you guys think they did all this to save time and be able to focus on the 2021 car? So they can have a smaller team of engineers for this years car?

Basically im not thinking about this season im thinking is this a move to help boost their chances NEXT season.

Will they even develop this car at all?

Or will they just run a W10 assuming its enough to get them in the TOP-5 easily. and just Focus on 2021?

Thoughts anyone?

Was this like a "Hey let me copy your homework so i can study for the final exam?" situation?
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Giblet

AMG.Tzan wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 19:03
With Lawrence Stroll canceling the Le Mans Hypercar effort of Aston Martin and the Red Bull sponsoring deal, it seems that there will be huge investment to make Racing Point a championship contender!

But...when was the last time a customer engine team defeated the manufacturer itself (Red Bull - Renault in 2010)?? And in this case we are talking about Mercedes!!

I am already hyped to see what can Racing Point turning into a works Aston Martin team achieve!
McLaren beat Renault last year using their engine.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

izzy

Racer X wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 17:45
Question for everyone If we go ahead and assume Racing Point just copied to fast track their development of this years car. So if we just assume they did not sit and scan and create their own car *Inspired by the W10* but rather they just out right got a copy of all of it from Mercedes.

*QUESTION:* Do you guys think they did all this to save time and be able to focus on the 2021 car? So they can have a smaller team of engineers for this years car?

Basically im not thinking about this season im thinking is this a move to help boost their chances NEXT season.

Will they even develop this car at all?

Or will they just run a W10 assuming its enough to get them in the TOP-5 easily. and just Focus on 2021?

Thoughts anyone?

Was this like a "Hey let me copy your homework so i can study for the final exam?" situation?
it's just what FIA arranged to have happen a couple of years ago when they relaxed the Listed Parts list and allowed Haas to use the Ferrari wind tunnel using seconded Ferrari aeros and even supply the aero concept

So i disagree with it, but it's not about Racing Point or any of the teams, it's Liberty and FIA offering F1 for F2 money, to get more teams in.

So now it's just this testing showing up where that was always going to lead. It was okay while Dietrich kept Torro Rosso well behind Red Bull and Haas couldn't do development and Alfa weren't that great, but now Lawrence has invested in what was already a very good team AND they're doing a Haas model on top, with a top tunnel, and they're next door to each other, RP and Merc

NAPI10

I think it's a win-win situation for RP - They will rule mid-field if they understand the design & get the set-ups right. If not, give away 2020 early & shift focus on 2021.

Lotus102

Papa Stroll was pushing for Williams to become a Merc junior team the whole time he was associated, and they rightly told him where to get off. Looks as though he got what he wanted at RP.

How's it going to work when they're Aston Martin though?

Sawtooth-spike

Taking a race winning Car and running it the next year is not an Automatic success. Look at Haas, They have pretty much run the last season Ferrari and have had some shocking results.
You need to be able to run the car and understand the car. Merc and Ferrari know excactly how to get the best out of there cars. Haas and RP probably don't, so they could just spend the year trying to understand there car.

It is a shame, but it nothing knew. Sauber used to do this with ferrari back in the day.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

f1jcw

Lotus102 wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 18:56
Papa Stroll was pushing for Williams to become a Merc junior team the whole time he was associated, and they rightly told him where to get off. Looks as though he got what he wanted at RP.

Have a read of this https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/indu ... artnership

If nothing has changed Aston Martin being a Mercedes B team would work out fine.

RonDennis

f1jcw wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 19:17
Lotus102 wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 18:56

Have a read of this https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/indu ... artnership

If nothing has changed Aston Martin being a Mercedes B team would work out fine.
This is no longer allowed from 2021.

JordanMugen

PlatinumZealot wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 05:11
They used the old w10 style side pod because it was designed to work with the front wings and bargeboards.
But it must have cost so much money to redesign the front wing, bargeboards from scratch? Such a huge amount of iterative aero work to get from a blank computer model to a validated design with good CFD and wind tunnel results? :?:

How could Racing Point afford such a huge investment in design and R&D for just one season!!??
Raleigh wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 05:51
However, as can be seen the bodywork and aero of the RP20 is almost cloned from the W10, which leads me to believe Mercedes have found a legal way to let Racing Point copy their aero as closely as possible.
You don't think Racing Point designed it independently using their own ingenuity and ideas, as required by the regulations for the bodywork to be of their own design? :?: