[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Revs84
Revs84

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

Wouter wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 19:09
Bill wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 17:11
Redbull could have won first race and silverstone they need a bit of luck when they saw Mercedes suffering with tires they should have been there to exploit it
However, it turned out to be a necessary stop, says team boss Christian Horner immediately after the race. According to the Brit, there were small cuts in the tires of Verstappen that were removed from the car, so it had not been certain that the Limburger would be able to finish the race. "Disappointing to miss out on a win, but I think we would have signed up for this in advance."
To me it seems like Horner is simply justifying their decision. In my opinion though, when you're so far off the pace, especially knowing that Hamilton was having tyre issues as well, they should have been more brave and taken the risk.

godlameroso

The C4 tire won't even last 2 laps, it's a yoke.
Saishū kōnā

Marti_EF3

godlameroso wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 20:18
The C4 tire won't even last 2 laps, it's a yoke.
Also Spain will be hard with the tires... It will be 10 to 15 more degrees than the normal race on May. So we will see some teams struggling the next 2 races... And will be interesting too

etusch

Revs84 wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 20:07
Wouter wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 19:09
Bill wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 17:11
Redbull could have won first race and silverstone they need a bit of luck when they saw Mercedes suffering with tires they should have been there to exploit it
However, it turned out to be a necessary stop, says team boss Christian Horner immediately after the race. According to the Brit, there were small cuts in the tires of Verstappen that were removed from the car, so it had not been certain that the Limburger would be able to finish the race. "Disappointing to miss out on a win, but I think we would have signed up for this in advance."
To me it seems like Horner is simply justifying their decision. In my opinion though, when you're so far off the pace, especially knowing that Hamilton was having tyre issues as well, they should have been more brave and taken the risk.
I think only wrong thing is that max must try to be close as much as he can every time. If he pushed a little bit more during race he can be 5 sec closer or ham may have puncture a lap before because he would show more pace to Verstappen.
But ham is too lucky. If bottas could push him just a little bit more again he can lost before bottas or same time with him.

Wynters
Wynters

Given the benefits to a team when they win (advertising, bonuses, record books, etc), Red Bull might have thought that one point for fastest lap was more important than meets the eye initially. As it stands, in Red Bull's shoes I'd have jumped at a 5% chance at an outright win. I can name all of Verstappen's wins. I can't name most of his second places.

Do we think Red Bull see themselves in a battle with another constructor and that every point is therefore crucial? Surely, Mercedes are too far away and Red Bull too far ahead of everyone else (in terms of pace)?

etusch

Bottas almost done and Lewis is not that far depite one dnf of Verstappen

godlameroso

Today's race pace wasn't that bad compared to Mercedes, closer than it has been the last two rounds. Austria is at altitude and drag affects you less, Hungary is not too power sensitive, Silverstone is, and Red Bull was closer, ~.3 was the gap today instead of the half second we've been accustomed to. Obviously more needs to come from the team but today showed that all one needs to do is be there, as boring as it is, that consistency will pay off over a season.
Saishū kōnā

Juzh

godlameroso wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 23:27
Today's race pace wasn't that bad compared to Mercedes, closer than it has been the last two rounds. Austria is at altitude and drag affects you less, Hungary is not too power sensitive, Silverstone is, and Red Bull was closer, ~.3 was the gap today instead of the half second we've been accustomed to. Obviously more needs to come from the team but today showed that all one needs to do is be there, as boring as it is, that consistency will pay off over a season.
Not sure which race you were watching, but looking at live timing mercedes was easily 0.5s (more like 0.7-0.8s at certain stages when it mattered) faster than red bull, who in turn was 1s faster than everyone behind. Only 0.3s deficit per lap is a pipe dream at this point.

Anyway something to cheer you up (RB fans): verstappen's new lap record on the last lap
https://streamable.com/e6d4iq

JordanMugen

Marti_EF3 wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 17:58
WaikeCU wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 17:52
Revs84 wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 17:14
What happened today though does give a glimpse of hope for next race. It's clear that Mercedes are loading their front tyres more than the Red Bull, and with next race's tyres being one step softer, you know Mercedes will be more cautious with tyre management. A 2 stop strategy will probably be required, making strategy a major factor in the race. Red Bull need to make sure to get their's perfect and they might be on a good result.
Does next race have the same tire availability or different compounds?
On theory it's a softer selection than today. But we will see
I imagine they are already manufactured and shipped, so it seems unlikely the tyres can be changed now.

godlameroso

Juzh wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 00:09
godlameroso wrote:
Not sure which race you were watching, but looking at live timing mercedes was easily 0.5s (more like 0.7-0.8s at certain stages when it mattered) faster than red bull, who in turn was 1s faster than everyone behind. Only 0.3s deficit per lap is a pipe dream at this point.

Anyway something to cheer you up (RB fans): verstappen's new lap record on the last lap
They can pull the gap because of their Q3 mode, the average pace deficit was ~.3 .4 similar to last year, around here.
Saishū kōnā

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

Marti_EF3 wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 17:16
Revs84 wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 17:14
What happened today though does give a glimpse of hope for next race. It's clear that Mercedes are loading their front tyres more than the Red Bull, and with next race's tyres being one step softer, you know Mercedes will be more cautious with tyre management. A 2 stop strategy will probably be required, making strategy a major factor in the race. Red Bull need to make sure to get their's perfect and they might be on a good result.
I bet all my money that Pirelli will go for a harder option next week, like other times helping who?? Don't need to say more
And Pirelli will pull tires from where? What you are implying, imho is technically impossible.

SF Engineer
SF Engineer

I very well could be wrong (as I watched the race without sector timing, etc.) but it sure did seem like all 3 remaining Honda powered cars improved their relative pace in the last ten or so laps.
They may not have much of a one-lap party mode, but this seems to be a nice feature for races.
Max did a great job to keep the Mercs inside a pit stop and despite having an underwhelming race for the first 80% or so, Albon managed to kick off the fastest lap flurry which culminated in both Mercs blowing their FL.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

godlameroso wrote:
Juzh wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

They can pull the gap because of their Q3 mode, the average pace deficit was ~.3 .4 similar to last year, around here.
The gap was more than 0.5 seconds... Once Hamilton opened a big enough gap, he would just control the the pace... The difference wasn’t 0,3 seconds per lap

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wynters
Wynters

SF Engineer wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 00:46
...Albon managed to kick off the fastest lap flurry which culminated in both Mercs blowing their FL.
In the same way that, when I went to the fridge to get an Ice cream on lap 49, it culminated in both Mercs blowing their FL?

It's abundantly clear from their lap times that the Mercs were not trying for fastest lap.

Hamilton
40 - 1:29.282
41 - 1:29.254
42 - 1:29.269
43 - 1:29.525
44 - 1:29.364
45 - 1:29.238
46 - 1:29.432
47 - 1:29.455
48 - 1:29.821
49 - 1:30.120
50 - 1:31.081
51 - 1:32.185
52 - P - 1:55.484

Bottas
40 - 1:29.892
41 - 1:29.265
42 - 1:29.296
43 - 1:29.723
44 - 1:29.780
45 - 1:29.739
46 - 1:30.164
47 - 1:30.271
48 - 1:31.797
49 - 1:31.051
50 - P - 2:06.242
51 - 1:56.238
52 - 1:30.086

godlameroso

SmallSoldier wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 01:37
godlameroso wrote:
Juzh wrote:

The gap was more than 0.5 seconds... Once Hamilton opened a big enough gap, he would just control the the pace... The difference wasn’t 0,3 seconds per lap

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202008 ... 813659.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Average difference over the whole race, being able to go faster in one lap is different than being able to all race. Bottas made sure Hamilton wasn't cruising, Bottas had to, he's driving for his job.

I said fuel and tires limit how fast you can go, and thus race time. You can argue that Hamilton can pull 7 or 8 tenths on command. (Race restarts will always benefit the lead car) can he do that consistently? It's obvious he can't. Bottas destroyed his tires and could barely pull a 5 second gap to Verstappen. You would have to argue that Bottas was just cruising, his earlier tire issue suggests he was on it.

The gap in one lap pace is great, but over a race distance it averages out to less than the one lap pace. Particularly because of tire and fuel limitations.

People still don't realize that ERS and higher engine modes are worth a lot of lap time. But if you have a big ERS advantage you can't use it every lap or you'll deplete ERS and you're a sitting duck.
Saishū kōnā